Solid number 2 or 3 pitchers..opinions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Solid number 2 or 3 pitchers..opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j24jags » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 am

colt4523 wrote:Pitching definitely looks pretty strong this year. I am targeting Bedard in all my leagues.

Whats everyones opinion on Harang? I know he pitched great last year but I really did not follow him. Is he the real deal?

He's a workhorse, that is either a good thing or the total innings end up injuring him. I know he was solid 2 years ago so we can't pin last year as a "fluke," but I do not expect to have him on many of my teams this year unless I can grab him as a 3rd starter.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willy-t » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 am

I'll be trying that strategy too, probably hitting for the first 4 picks and maybe 5 unless theres an ace left on the board.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ZOINKS22 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:19 am

Seems they have summed up pretty well. I agree that the winning strategy is to draft thumpers in the early rounds and worry about pitching in the later. This has always been my strategy as there are always a multitude of surprise arms to hit the scene each year, but only a couple of mashers. This season, it does seem as though there is a wealth of pitching...
ZOINKS22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:10 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:That is a nice list. Because of the large amount of decent 2-3 sp's that can be had this year, I have been wondering if a good strategy would be to draft hitting hard the first 6 rounds, then try and load up on maybe 3 of those caliber guys. Anyone agree with this kind of strategy?

That was precisely my strategy going into our Cafe Bums draft. Drafted hitters with my first 6 picks, then grabbed Lackey/Sabathia on the snake. I also eventually ended up with Bedard, as well as Mussina, Rich Hill, and Chuck James. I think a pretty solid rotation is within reach while still concentrating on the bats.

I see. What 6 hitters did you get in the first 6 rounds?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:36 pm

I just read a chat where Shandler says he likes to try and go 8/2 or 7/3 hitters over pitchers in the first 10 rounds. depending on value of course. I think that's about right, and it's close to what I have been doing for the last few years also.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:02 pm

tuff_gong wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:That is a nice list. Because of the large amount of decent 2-3 sp's that can be had this year, I have been wondering if a good strategy would be to draft hitting hard the first 6 rounds, then try and load up on maybe 3 of those caliber guys. Anyone agree with this kind of strategy?

That was precisely my strategy going into our Cafe Bums draft. Drafted hitters with my first 6 picks, then grabbed Lackey/Sabathia on the snake. I also eventually ended up with Bedard, as well as Mussina, Rich Hill, and Chuck James. I think a pretty solid rotation is within reach while still concentrating on the bats.

This is a 10 team keeper league hosted here at the Cafe, so obviously this would be slightly less quality in a 12+, but:

Ortiz
Vlad
Wells
Morneau
Zimmerman
Furcal
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:This is a 10 team keeper league hosted here at the Cafe, so obviously this would be slightly less quality in a 12+, but:

Ortiz
Vlad
Wells
Morneau
Zimmerman
Furcal

Wow. That's a heck of a start. Surprised Zimm went before Furcal with 3B being as deep as it is.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:14 pm

I had the last spot in the draft order, so I had snake picks. I'm not too sure whether what order I drafted Morneau/Wells vs Zimm/Furcal, but they were consecutive picks.

Mock drafts are always somewhat suspect, but in my first draft for a league this year, this strategy seemed to work quite well.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:

This is a 10 team keeper league hosted here at the Cafe, so obviously this would be slightly less quality in a 12+, but:

Ortiz
Vlad
Wells
Morneau
Zimmerman
Furcal

Interesting...that's a very solid start to a team, imo.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 pm

I've been trying the "Shandler Strategy"/LIMA plan (7/3 or 8/2 hitter-to-pitcher ratio) for years now with no success and I've been extremely unlucky with it.

With the depth in pitching though, I'm tempted to try it just one more time.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers