Page 2, espn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Page 2, espn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:53 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:Obviously in real life, Pettitte is more valuable to the Yankees than he is to us in the fantasy world.

Exactly. Anyone who watched him in this past postseason knows that. He is a gamer. I don't even care about the numbers.

He had a nice 03 postseason. He needed it after quite a few bad ones. In 28 career post season starts, he has only 15 quality starts. 15/28, barely half. You call him a gamer, i call him barely above average, which is where his regular career numbers put him as well.

Again, you are looking only at the stats. Isn't there more to the game than stats? During the Yankee run, 2 starters that I would want out there more than anyone in a big game are Pettitte and El Duque, and I don't care about what the numbers say. No matter how many Yankee postseason games you have watched, I will guarantee that it isn't more than me. Maybe the same, although I doubt it, but not more. To me, a gamer is someone who does well in a big game and can handle the heat. Call him what you want. Saying Gibson this or Koufax that doesn't affect Pettitte's standing. I'll take what my eyes tell me any day over what the numbers say, decades later.

I can agree to disagree if you can.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:01 am

sphincty jr wrote:Petitte is not he same pitcher now that he has been for most of his career. He is much much better now. Anyone that can't see this will be dissapointed on draft day.

Pettitte began the year with a career era of 3.93. Last year his era was 4.02. Hes much better? His k/per 9, and so/w ratio are improving, but his era, whip, hrs allowed look the same.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DK » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:09 am

This is why i never try to disagree with HOOTIE.... :b

seriously, I basically agree with what some people has said. He rarely has a so-called "normal" outing. It's either 0-2 runs or 6+ runs.

For example, say a basketball player goes out and every night scores either 30-35 points or 0-5 points. His eventual average is 17.5. Did he ever score 17 or 18 points? No.

Pettite's kind of a less extreme version of that basketball player. He does have some normal outings, but not as many as he does the extremities. I will give you the fact that he's a much better pitcher after the AS break, but usually in my leagues I don't want to wait that long for him.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:29 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Again, you are looking only at the stats. Isn't there more to the game than stats? During the Yankee run, 2 starters that I would want out there more than anyone in a big game are Pettitte and El Duque, and I don't care about what the numbers say. No matter how many Yankee postseason games you have watched, I will guarantee that it isn't more than me. Maybe the same, although I doubt it, but not more. To me, a gamer is someone who does well in a big game and can handle the heat. Call him what you want. Saying Gibson this or Koufax that doesn't affect Pettitte's standing. I'll take what my eyes tell me any day over what the numbers say, decades later.

El Duque has nice numbers. Mussina has nice numbers. Clemens has nice numbers. Wells has nice numbers. Andy doesn't. See, i can give credit to NY when do. You probably have seen NY more then me, but thats really moot. Some grandma with season tickets watching 81 home games, has the eyes on likely the whole Cafe. The trouble with Andy, is NYorkers look the other way when they fail. We can disagree, no biggie, although i find it strange you say the numbers don't matter?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:54 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

El Duque has nice numbers. Mussina has nice numbers. Clemens has nice numbers. Wells has nice numbers. Andy doesn't. See, i can give credit to NY when do. You probably have seen NY more then me, but thats really moot. Some grandma with season tickets watching 81 home games, has the eyes on likely the whole Cafe. The trouble with Andy, is NYorkers look the other way when they fail. We can disagree, no biggie, although i find it strange you say the numbers don't matter?

Since you have basically not agreed to disagree, I will say that I never said that numbers don't matter. All that I'm saying is that there is a lot more to the game than numbers. I couldn't care less what his career numbers are. If I need a game to win for the Yankees and I get to pick a pitcher, I take Pettitte over Clemens, Mussina, or anyone else. That is what I am saying when I say that he's a gamer. If you don't want him, that's fine.

DK wrote:I will give you the fact that he's a much better pitcher after the AS break, but usually in my leagues I don't want to wait that long for him.

All that I'm saying is watch the man pitch in a big game. There is something about him. If you don't want him on your fantasy team and can't stand his numbers, then don't take him. Just watch the man pitch in a big game. That's all. Put the numbers down, grab a beer, and watch the game.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers