Page 2, espn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Page 2, espn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Page 2, espn

Postby eftda » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:06 pm

LINK

i thought that this COULD happen, i am very afraid if old george really gets upset. i wonder what would have happened if the Red Sox won the world series.... 8-o
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:11 pm

I saw that article and was shocked at the quality of the team they could make and be less than the Yanks' current payroll.

But then I realized there's no bench players on that roster. So if they did all of this, their payroll would be over 200 mill easy.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:13 pm

unless they bring up their AAA team
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:25 pm

timkell wrote:I saw that article and was shocked at the quality of the team they could make and be less than the Yanks' current payroll.

But then I realized there's no bench players on that roster. So if they did all of this, their payroll would be over 200 mill easy.

The article showed the payroll at 179 million. Add Maddux and a bench to add around 21 million. That would make it an even 200 million.

They spent 180+ million this year, why not 200 million next year?

*disclaimer----I'm not saying that the Yankees shouldn't have spent 180+ million this year. Just saying that they did.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:26 pm

That article is as bad as Californians voting for Arnold. It makes no since and it is only out their to make some people mad.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rotodog » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:49 pm

shortsavage wrote:That article is as bad as Californians voting for Arnold. It makes no since and it is only out their to make some people mad.
That scenario is not that far fetched.....Im pissed he gave ol' george a couple ideas........its not out of the realm....
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mightyian5 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:50 am

i think its alot more speculation than actual expectations. do any of you guys REALLy expect that much of an overhaul? i really dont know if that yankees team will change all that much. well at least i doubt the offense will. they dont have much of a pitching staff with all of those options turned down and clemens retiring.

by the way, im wondering why pettite is deamed such an asset. i know hes one of their few farm boys, and hes a lefty, but looking back at his stats, theyre not all that impressive. his strikeout totals werent all that high, and his era was over 4 many years, with one year being as high as 4.70. the only standout were his wins, usually accompanied by 10 or so losses. even batters avg against him were very high for such a valued pitcher. just seems kind of strange. fill me in on anything im missing here. maybe im not seeing a bigger picture or something.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:57 am

Because Pettitte is a gamer and he is a proven playoff performer. I don't care what his regular season stats are. When playoff time comes around, there is no one on that team that I would rather have on the mound, unless it's the 8th or 9th inning and his name is Mariano Rivera.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:10 am

Lofunzo wrote:Because Pettitte is a gamer and he is a proven playoff performer. I don't care what his regular season stats are. When playoff time comes around, there is no one on that team that I would rather have on the mound, unless it's the 8th or 9th inning and his name is Mariano Rivera.

Gamer? Yea hes proven allright. That hes the same mediocre pitcher in postseason, that he is during the year.
In 8 world series games before this year, he had a 5.08 era. A record of 2-3. Lets look back.

96 ws 5.91 era
99 ws 12.27 era
01 ws 10.00 era

His overall postseason era in 25 games was less then stellar at 4.49. The guy is the most overhyped pitcher east of the Mississippi.

As far as that article. Anyone silly enough to give Colon 70 mil, and Tejada 75 mil, deserves to lose.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby shortsavage » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:24 am

mightyian5 wrote:i think its alot more speculation than actual expectations. do any of you guys REALLy expect that much of an overhaul? i really dont know if that yankees team will change all that much. well at least i doubt the offense will. they dont have much of a pitching staff with all of those options turned down and clemens retiring.

I was attacking the statistically accuracy of the article opposed to the overall tone.

It is apparent that the article is a fairytale proposal from a disapointed fan. I appriciate his energetic attempt; but, when you have to stretch the truth that much, in order to put out an attractive article, your writing loses a lot of its validity.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers