Some underachievers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some underachievers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PresHabib » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:15 am

Biggest bust of the year...dont count out Shawn Green...what a disaster...

Curt Schilling was also a bust for me...but I may only feel like that because I took him with my first round pick, 5th overall.

Big unit, BUST
Matt Morris, wasnt awful, but i really thought i got him in a deal with my 9th pick and then get hurt.
Rich Aurillia...trading for him did NOT solve my SS woes.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:17 am

PresHabib wrote:Rich Aurillia...trading for him did NOT solve my SS woes.

Ouch. What did you give up for him?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:32 am

Lofunzo wrote:

Too much. Lol. :-b

Just kidding with you. We all know that hindsight is 20/20. At the time you thought you were solving a problem.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:35 am

PresHabib wrote:Biggest bust of the year...dont count out Shawn Green...what a disaster...

Green had one bad year, preceded by 5 big ones. It's been said his shoulder bothered him. Him and Giles are great picks for comeback players. I don't know why people love Glaus so much, and hate Dunn? Basically the same type of players, except i think Dunn has the higher ceiling.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:45 am

HOOTIE wrote:
PresHabib wrote:Biggest bust of the year...dont count out Shawn Green...what a disaster...

Green had one bad year, preceded by 5 big ones. It's been said his shoulder bothered him. Him and Giles are great picks for comeback players. I don't know why people love Glaus so much, and hate Dunn? Basically the same type of players, except i think Dunn has the higher ceiling.

Normally I don't disagree with you HOOTIE, but what happened in 2000? .269-24-99 in 610 at bats is not big to me. :-? He's only hit 35 or more home runs 4 times. The next highest is 24 home runs. :-? I'm avoiding him next year. Too risky for me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:01 am

[quote="Madison]

Normally I don't disagree with you HOOTIE, but what happened in 2000? .269-24-99 in 610 at bats is not big to me. :-? He's only hit 35 or more home runs 4 times. The next highest is 24 home runs. :-? I'm avoiding him next year. Too risky for me.[/quote]

You are correct. I should have stated 3 big years, (940 ops or better), mixed in with some decent ones. 00 was his 1st year in LA, which depresses any hitters numbers. I think 4 years of 35 hrs is impressive.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby PresHabib » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:16 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

I traded Luis Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriguez, and Jose Valentin for Piazza (who got hurt a week later) and Aurillia....BUST! I survived the deal by making a good trade for Orlando Cabrera and trading to get Gonzo back, and picked up Javy right after his huge tear started against Montreal in the Dominican or Puerto Rico (i always forget where it was). I survived the deal but I look back and I'm like AHHH What was I thinking?!

And Shawn Green...I'm with Madison, I'm staying away from him next year unless a combination of three things happens: a) The Dodgers get some protection for him NOT named Jeromy Burnitz and b) he's still available in the 14th or 15th round or c) he gets traded. Other than that, I dont think I would waste a good pick on a guy from whom I don't see anything more than 275/25/75-80. Not awful numbers I guess but we can all snag guys who will do that in the free agent pool easily enough who hit in better lineups and use the picks we would have used on green to pick up a closer or another starter or even take a flyer on a sleeper. I'm avoiding Green for next year.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Erboes » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:46 pm

You missed the three biggest bounce-back candidates out there, Tejada, Berkman, and Green. Tejada and berkman didn't have bad years, but they certainly underachieved and you can get them on the cheap. Green, though, watch out baby! What a value he's going to be. Remember, he's been a solid top 24 player for the past few years and the only thing that has changed was he had a bum shoulder all last season, which supposedly has been corrected with surgery. He's supposed to be 100% by spring training.

Also, Chavez may be a very good choice.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:41 am

Erboes wrote:You missed the three biggest bounce-back candidates out there, Tejada, Berkman, and Green. Tejada and berkman didn't have bad years, but they certainly underachieved and you can get them on the cheap. Green, though, watch out baby! What a value he's going to be. Remember, he's been a solid top 24 player for the past few years and the only thing that has changed was he had a bum shoulder all last season, which supposedly has been corrected with surgery. He's supposed to be 100% by spring training.

Also, Chavez may be a very good choice.

I agree about Berkman. He should bounce back nicely. ;-D

The rest are pretty risky.

Oh, and Chavez will not have a lineup around him. His stock has fallen in my eyes unless the A's get a bat or two to protect him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Erboes » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:22 am

They said that when they lost Giambi and Tejada won the MVP. They usually find a way. Chavez is just entering his prime years, and will be the focus of their offense, much like Tejada was when he won the MVP. With a return to form of Dye and one more bat somewhere else, he is primed for big numbers.

My reasoning for Berkman and Green is because of health. They were both dinged up and I see no reason why they both don't return to form. I was noticing in one of the mock draft Berkman was picked in the fourth and Green in the sixth. I wouldn't be surprised if they both don't return 2nd round numbers or higher.

Tejada was also a fourth rounder in this mock draft and he may outperform every SS but A-Rod. With a bad thumb in the first half he hit .245. With the thumb somewhat healed in the second half he hit .326. Depending on whom he signs with, .320 -35 -125 may be in the cards.

Schilling and Randy Johnson are also intriquing. Schilling pitched well when healthy last season, but he limped through the final month which raises questions in my mind on whether he can return to form. Johnson, however, finished in a typical Unit-like fashion which could bode well for this season. That knee, though, is a major concern. Much of his cartilidge was removed and I remember what that did to Chad Ogea of the Indians a few years ago. Still, the rewards are so great that I don't see how either can go past the first three rounds.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers