Carlos Zambrano- "Sign me or I'm outta here" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Zambrano- "Sign me or I'm outta here"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Zambrano- "Sign me or I'm outta here"

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:52 pm

The Cubs had better show him the money. He's been the best pitcher for them the past four years. Consistent. Eats up innings. Show him the money. I could see him demanding $14-17 mil a year, especially in this market with Lilly getting $10 mil a year from the Cubs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2763803

Carlos Zambrano has issued an ultimatum to the Chicago Cubs -- sign me now, or say goodbye when the 2007 season is over.

"If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

"Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts," the Cubs' pitching ace said in an interview on WGN-TV, according to the Chicago Tribune. "If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

He also thinks he should get paid -- a lot. Zambrano and the Cubs are currently due to go to salary arbitration Feb. 20, with Zambrano seeking $15.5 million and the Cubs offering $11.025 million.

The Cubs spent lavishly during the offseason, forking over nearly $300 million to bring aboard Alfonso Soriano and Ted Lilly and re-sign Aramis Ramirez in an effort to turn around last year's NL-worst 66-96 record.

During the annual Cubs Convention, Zambrano, when asked whether he will test free agency next season, repeatedly said "This is a business" and noted that Barry Zito's seven-year, $126 million deal helped raise his value on the free-agent market.

"When you're a great pitcher and have talent, you deserve the money no matter who gives it to you," he said, according to the Tribune. "Zito is a great pitcher. Good for him he has that contract, and I think that will help me.

"[Cubs general manager] Jim [Hendry] spent a lot of money. I hope he has more for 'Big Z,'" he said, the newspaper reported.

Zambrano, who became the Cubs' staff ace when Kerry Wood and Mark Prior went down with injuries, went 16-7 with a 3.41 ERA in 2006. For his career he's 64- 42 with a 3.29 ERA in 977 innings.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Oh boy. :-o
You spent all that so far, what's another 100 million for Zambrano? :-b

Georgie is getting his checkbook ready.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:01 pm

It'd be funny if the Cubs can't resign Zambrano after spending so much money on useless players :-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:05 pm

That'd be awsome if they couldn't re-sign Zambrano because they spent too much on Lilly.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I also think that it would be funny to see them try to save a few bucks and then losing him. They still have Mark DeRosa and Lilly though. :-B
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Yoda wrote:I also think that it would be funny to see them try to save a few bucks and then losing him. They still have Mark DeRosa and Lilly though. :-B

don't forget my man Marquis :-B
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Carlos Zambrano- "Sign me or I'm outta here"

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:43 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
"If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

Oh jeez.. he refers to himself in the third person even. :-B

If the Cubs have that kind of money to throw at Soriano, they better make darn sure to tie up Zambrano as well.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:51 pm

I don't think that the money is really the point, the Cubs are only a part of the Tribune's empire and, while $100 million isn't really a lot, the Cubs+ contention= quite a chunk of change for them. Look at all of us crazies festooned w/ Cubs gear when they've performed well below average for say 50 years....

I also don't see how it would be in the Cubs interest to toy w/ Zambrano at all, given that their rotation is patched together w/ duct tape, ace bandages, Zoloft (if Marquis is, in fact, a head case and isn't just a replacement value player...) and $100 bills.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby fiz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:54 pm

watch the cubs decide not to sign him, then let him go 150 deep into each game...
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 pm

i just dont understand why they spent 100 million on lilly and whatever they spent on marquis. they should have just resigned zambrano and then whatever leftover money they had, use it on "lesser quality" pitchers.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers