The SS Hong-chih Kuo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The SS Hong-chih Kuo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 pm

I thought you meant Chin-Lung Hu until I realized that SS didn't stand for shortstop. :-°

Anyway, I'm not big on Kuo. He will certainly be cheap, but I don't think there's enough upside to warrant a late-round pick. Even if he stays healthy, the rotation is too crowded for the Dodgers to take a chance on him, so the bullpen is a more likely destination, where he'll have very little 5x5 value. And if he does make it into the rotation, it's always a bad idea to be projecting a full season of starts from a few last year, if you ask me.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:32 am

Pedantic wrote:I thought you meant Chin-Lung Hu until I realized that SS didn't stand for shortstop. :-°

Anyway, I'm not big on Kuo. He will certainly be cheap, but I don't think there's enough upside to warrant a late-round pick. Even if he stays healthy, the rotation is too crowded for the Dodgers to take a chance on him, so the bullpen is a more likely destination, where he'll have very little 5x5 value. And if he does make it into the rotation, it's always a bad idea to be projecting a full season of starts from a few last year, if you ask me.

If you follow the Dodgers (and Guo) closely you will know that Guo didn't adjust well to pitching out of the bullpen. He complained of not being able to warm up properly when pitching out of the pen. This is something you commonly hear from the asian pitchers. I believe that Guo has quite a bit of upside. There are only a handful of major league pitchers who put together a better five game starting stint. There is no harm in taking a late round flier on him and there is quite a bit of upside if he does indeed make the rotation. vr, Xeifrank

Guo Mania
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:44 am

xeifrank wrote:
Pedantic wrote:I thought you meant Chin-Lung Hu until I realized that SS didn't stand for shortstop. :-°

If you follow the Dodgers (and Guo) closely you will know that Guo didn't adjust well to pitching out of the bullpen. He complained of not being able to warm up properly when pitching out of the pen. This is something you commonly hear from the asian pitchers. I believe that Guo has quite a bit of upside. There are only a handful of major league pitchers who put together a better five game starting stint. There is no harm in taking a late round flier on him and there is quite a bit of upside if he does indeed make the rotation. vr, Xeifrank

Guo Mania

The same worry I have about Jon Rauch here. If Kuo is stretched out too long he's going to blow his arm out. Now if after 07 he's stayed completely(or even relatively) healthy. Then I'll be convince. He's nothing more than a RP who won't see the rotation anytime soon with lots of k upside. Unless you believe he can beat out Wolf or Billingsley.

Now I've always believed Chin-Hui Tsao as being the superior pitcher. We'll see.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers