100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should the Sox go for broke?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:54 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
ramble2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote: A ring would make everyone forget Grady Little so fast it would make your head spin.

A ring would make us forget the last 85 years. But Boston will burn.

You want the Sox to go for broke?

Try and trade Nomar to LA or ARI in exchange for Brown or Schilling. Agree to pay for part of Nomar's salary, if that's what it takes to get Schilling. Then go get A-Rod. Take the hit for next year's salary, then let most of your free agents walk after next season to get the payroll back down around $100 mil. Hell, even let it fall down to $60 - $70 mil by surrounding Manny and A-Rod with rookies and cast-offs.

Even if A-Rod and Manny's salary restrict any major signings for the next 5 years after next season, and you have to devastate the farm system to get A-Rod, so what? If the Sox can pull off a World Series victory, then you'll have at least 5 years good grace with the fans - if not 85 years. :-D

The only way we can get Arod is if we dump Manny's salary. We can't have 45 million tied up in two players. I think our best shot is to sign a top tier pitcher and go from there.

I'm not saying that it's likely to happen, but if you look at payroll over a 5-year window it becomes a lot more doable. Let's say that adding A-Rod & Schilling brings the 2004 salary up to 137 million - way higher than the Red Sox owners want it to be (although I wouldn't be shocked if they could still make a profit at that level). Then they don't sign any of their free agents after the 2004 season. Sure you still have the $45 mil. dollar SS and OF combo, but let's say that you could get the 2005 salary to $70 mil, with a $5 mil bump every year thereafter.

You'd get the following payrolls:
2004 - $137
2005 - $70
2006 - $75
2007 - $80
2008 - $85

Average payroll over those five years: $89 million.

If it's a matter of going for broke, then why worry about the future? Yea, you totally hamstring management by committing them to the A-Rod and Manny contracts, but so what? Take the financial hit this year, and then recoup over the next five years. Take the time to develop a new crop of talent in the minor leagues.

As a Red Sox fan, would you put up with four years of mediocrity if it meant a World Series title next season?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:10 pm

I have to agree with Ramble. I believe that the Sox can afford a salary of 137 million. I see no reason why it can't be handled. The Sox are not a small market team by any means.

Not sure that I'd give away the next few seasons. Maybe bring payroll down a little, but not all the way down.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:19 pm

The Sox should be able to afford to do whatever they want. I think that they are 1 of a few teams that also owns their own network (NESN, I believe).
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers