Should the Sox go for broke? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should the Sox go for broke?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should the Sox go for broke?

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:08 pm

Alright... most of you know that Pedro, Lowe, Varitek, Nomar, Ortiz, Mueller and Trot Nixon are all free agents after next season.

There's a lot of talk in Boston about trading Nomar and trying to rebuild in stride.

But should the Sox try to resign who they can, and otherwise not trade any players? Should they go for it all? Spend 10 million on a front-line starter to go between Lowe and Pedro, get a cheap replacement for second, get some bullpen help and go for broke?

It might be the time to do it, but if it fails, the team will only get draft picks in return (not that bad, considering the horrible farm system...).
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:19 pm

I admit that if I was an owner, I'd be a little spending happy. I'd try to keep all of them and sign a big pitcher this year. Either Colon or Millwood. I'm not crazy enough to spend what it would take to get both of them, but if they were to get one or the other, then it certainly increases their chances of winning next year.

I'd consider moving Manny if I could get a team to take enough of his contract. That would free up the money for one of the starters. It won't be easy to do though.

If the right deal came along for Nomar or Pedro, I just might have to pull the trigger on it. Definitely depends on the deal though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:23 pm

I think, personally, it depends on the Yankees. They are not nearly as strong as they've been in the past. If they go out, spend another fortune then Boston cannot keep up and should trade. If, though, they don't go off and sign every major free agent, then I'd say go for broke. A ring would make everyone forget Grady Little so fast it would make your head spin.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:26 pm

Well, Pedro is a 10-5 player, so he'll be hard to trade. And while I understand trading Nomar, who are we going to get to fill in? Sign Tejada? We traded away our shortstop of the future in Freddie Sanchez, and while we have one of the best third base prospects in the game--on base machine Kevin Youklis--we don't have a SS to step up.

So I'd love for Theo to get the OK to bring in Colon or Millwood, or trade for Vazquez, resign who he can, but not trade just to get something back.

With one more frontline starter and some bullpen help, I think we can do better.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:29 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote: A ring would make everyone forget Grady Little so fast it would make your head spin.

A ring would make us forget the last 85 years. But Boston will burn.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nsulham » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:37 pm

Keep Pedro, keep Nomar. If Nomar doesn't like Boston, tough schit. Let him play out this last year then let him walk. However, if there's a match out there (I've heard Anaheim, LA?) then send him packing, SO LONG as the Sox get some pitching in return and can find a reasonable SS. Probably can't get Miggy but maybe Matsui?

Tell Manny "We tried to trade your ass but NOBODY wants you. Take a cut in pay and you'll get your trade." If it takes eating some of Manny's contract to get a deal done, do it, but don't get suckered into eating too much or taking another huge contract in return.

Try as hard as humanly possible to get either Colon, Millwood, Vazquez or another front-line guy to wedge between Pedro and Lowe.

Add a couple bullpen guys with whatever's left over and the Sox should be in good shape.

And this is all off the top of my head so don't blast me if some points don't add up.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 pm

Speaking of the bullpen, get LaTroy Hawkins. ;-D I missed that in my earlier post.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Swinger » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:41 pm

I think the Sox should build up for a dynasty.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:42 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote: A ring would make everyone forget Grady Little so fast it would make your head spin.

You want the Sox to go for broke?

Try and trade Nomar to LA or ARI in exchange for Brown or Schilling. Agree to pay for part of Nomar's salary, if that's what it takes to get Schilling. Then go get A-Rod. Take the hit for next year's salary, then let most of your free agents walk after next season to get the payroll back down around $100 mil. Hell, even let it fall down to $60 - $70 mil by surrounding Manny and A-Rod with rookies and cast-offs.

Even if A-Rod and Manny's salary restrict any major signings for the next 5 years after next season, and you have to devastate the farm system to get A-Rod, so what? If the Sox can pull off a World Series victory, then you'll have at least 5 years good grace with the fans - if not 85 years. :-D
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:44 pm

ramble2 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

You want the Sox to go for broke?

Try and trade Nomar to LA or ARI in exchange for Brown or Schilling. Agree to pay for part of Nomar's salary, if that's what it takes to get Schilling. Then go get A-Rod. Take the hit for next year's salary, then let most of your free agents walk after next season to get the payroll back down around $100 mil. Hell, even let it fall down to $60 - $70 mil by surrounding Manny and A-Rod with rookies and cast-offs.

Even if A-Rod and Manny's salary restrict any major signings for the next 5 years after next season, and you have to devastate the farm system to get A-Rod, so what? If the Sox can pull off a World Series victory, then you'll have at least 5 years good grace with the fans - if not 85 years. :-D

The only way we can get Arod is if we dump Manny's salary. We can't have 45 million tied up in two players. I think our best shot is to sign a top tier pitcher and go from there.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers