Average Production of Players by Position - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Average Production of Players by Position

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Average Production of Players by Position

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:44 pm

There is a short article in the Feb 5, '07 issue of Sporting News that addresses the average production of players at chach position.
The numbers were extracted from 2006's Sporting News Commissioner Games for 5x5 mixed leagues with 23-man active rosters. The comments are from the author of the aritcle, Brendan Roberts

Catcher
.294 Average
14 Home Runs
62 RBI's
54 Runs
2 SB
Comment: Not bad, huh? Well, Joe Mauer, Brian McCann, Victor Martinez and a few others inflate the average. The drop off after the elite guys is steep.

First Base
.293 Average
28 Home Runs
92 RBI's
81 Runs
2 SB
Comment: Twenty years ago, 28 homers was quite an accompishment. Now, it's what mixed leagues owners should expect from a first baseman.

Second Base
.287 Average
15 Home Runs
67 RBI's
78 Runs
13 SB
Comment: The dry spell at second base is over. Youngsters such as Chase Utley, Robinson Cano and Rickie Weeks will make this position even stronger in the future.

Third Base
.292 Average
25 Home Runs
96 RBI's
93 Runs
10 SB
Comment: It's a travesty that third base shares a position with first base in standard league setups. Third Base isn't as deep as first, but it's nearly as good in the upper and middle tiers.

ShortStop
.299 Average
16 Home Runs
76 RBI's
98 Runs
24 SB
Comment: The top tier is almost as strong as it was when A-Rod played at short, but the drop-off is precipitious after the top 10.

Outfield
.285 Average
21 Home Runs
77 RBI's
81 Runs
14 SB
Comment: The numbers look low to us, too, but remember the average league has between 60 and 65 outfielders in starting spots and production drops off dramatically after the top 40 to 50.

Starting Pitcher
13 Wins
3.96 ERA
1.24 WHIP
145 K's
Comment: Are these better then you thought? The only problem with drafting pitchers early is that they tend to be more inconsistent tan hitters fro year to year.

Relief Pitcher
26 Saves
3.13 ERA
1.21 WHIP
68 K's
Comment: If a mixed-league owner can’ get his or her hands on two or three solid closers – on draft day or later – something is wrong.

**I found this article pretty interesting and I might use it when drafting, especially for my later picks. I hope someone else might find this useful as well.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:48 pm

good post ;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Nice post, should be very helpful to a lot of guys in the Cafe. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

We're drafting on Friday. Unfortunately it's an auto draft, but I'm using these to set up my pre-rankings
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:20 am

I love SN magazine. I have had a subscription for years. I hate their fantasy articles. That's really irrelevant to this post but I figured I'd throw it out there. I read the mini-article you're referring, the one by Brendan Roberts. I would just like to point out that positional averages are worthless for fantasy baseball. The mean is misleading! ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrobinson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 pm

in an average fantasy baseball league, 35-40 OFs are in starting lineups. also, what is the non sense about third base "sharing" a position with 1b? the CI thing? thats not a very common position.
mrobinson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby roninmedia » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 pm

Keep in mind, this is based on their leagues that SN offer. It is also simlar to the set-up sportsline has for their roto leagues except SN has one more U spot and sportsline has one extra C.

Their set-up is: 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 CI, 1 MI, 5 OF, 2 U.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:32 pm

mrobinson wrote:in an average fantasy baseball league, 35-40 OFs are in starting lineups. also, what is the non sense about third base "sharing" a position with 1b? the CI thing? thats not a very common position.

The majority of leagues I played in before Yahoo came around used the deeper format. The format Yahoo uses is really meant for AL or NL only leagues thats why Yahoo public leagues are such a joke.

Very few serious leagues or 'expert' leagues go with such a shallow set of positions.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Average Production of Players by Position

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:03 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:First Base
.293 Average
28 Home Runs
92 RBI's
81 Runs
2 SB
Comment: Twenty years ago, 28 homers was quite an accompishment. Now, it's what mixed leagues owners should expect from a first baseman.

I can't resist knowking this. Maybe 40 years ago, 28 HRs was an accomplishment. 20 years ago, the league leaders hit 49 HRs, and there were about 40 guys who hit more than 30.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Re: Average Production of Players by Position

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:First Base
.293 Average
28 Home Runs
92 RBI's
81 Runs
2 SB

I can't resist knowking this. Maybe 40 years ago, 28 HRs was an accomplishment. 20 years ago, the league leaders hit 49 HRs, and there were about 40 guys who hit more than 30.

In 1986 only one player hit 40 HR's, the 7th highest total was just 31 HR's and only 18 players hit 29+. 20 years ago hitting 28 HR's made you a good HR hitter.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers