Any opinions or inside information on the following guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any opinions or inside information on the following guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:09 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Jeremy Hermida - He was simply unreal in the minors. I expect last year's slow start was a fluke. I think he will be big toward the second half of this year.

Nick Markakis - I never was a believer. Hes a Jay payton.

¿Qué? Don't get me wrong; I like Hermida. But I don't see how his minor league numbers are "unreal." He only hit .283, he only slugged .430, and despite his vaunted plate discipline, he only walked 0.84 times for every strikeout. I think Hermida is a fantastic player, but let's not go overboard yet again.

And that brings me to my next point: Why do you like Hermida so much and not like Markakis at all? Both were highly touted prospects. Markakis' plate discipline isn't as good, but he still posted a very respectable 0.69 BB/K ratio. He also posted the superior slugging percentage. Then Markakis jumps to the majors with just 124 AA at bats under his belt and just 350 Advanced A at bats before that, and he not only survives, but he succeeds as well.

I don't pretend to think that either is a great slugger, but I think that both are professional hitters. I can see someone not liking either player, but how someone can like Hermida, who fell flat in his rookie season and in some respects actually has the inferior minor league track record, over Markakis, who exceeded expectations by a great deal, I find somewhat boggling. Is there a particular reason you have for this?

One quick point. It's a bit unfair to say someone fell flat in his rookie season when the said player was injured. I still believe in his talent and Hermida should be at least a 15-15 type player this year.

I agree that it is tough to like one and not the other. They are pretty similar and at this point I think Markakis looks better. He got good really quickly.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby grammysboy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Zito is God wrote:Mark Teahen- Personally I still need to see more, but most experts say this guy has finally put it together.

Ryan Shealy - Amazing in the minors, now that he has a role I don't think 30 HRs within a few years is out of the question. Remember his lineup though.

these are the only two I feel comfortable reviewing. Teahan has the potential to be very good. One of the best base runners around. It looks like the Royals are going to try to move him to the outfield this year to make room for Alex Gordon. I'd watch him in ST to see how he adjusts. The athletic ability is there. Let's just hope the Royals don't "screw" him up.

If you can get Shealy cheep, he may be the best sleeper in MLB. The kid has huge legs - a la Albert, and is very patient at the plate. He is the perfect fit at CI in most starndard leagues. You might find a more powerful 1B this year, but this kid is going to be "consistent."
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Nice work guys , keep the opinions coming!!!! :-) :-) ;-D
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:27 am

bump
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 am

bump
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:33 am

I have to say that I like how Anthony Reyes (Cards SP) pitched this ST. He is also projected as the #2 starter behind Carps, and his effectiveness in ST can be described as "lights out".

Not judging too early, but it looks like a return back to WS Game 1.
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:33 pm

just an example of something i could remember and quickly find:

you'd have to have part of your brain missing to take anything Zito is God says as anything but drivel.

talking about Oliver Perez preseason last year--
Zito is God wrote:He'll have a nice bounceback effect IMO. I see RJ type K numbers with 15 Wins and a sub 3 ERA.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=176314
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:53 pm

tgalv wrote:just an example of something i could remember and quickly find:

you'd have to have part of your brain missing to take anything Zito is God says as anything but drivel.

talking about Oliver Perez preseason last year--
Zito is God wrote:He'll have a nice bounceback effect IMO. I see RJ type K numbers with 15 Wins and a sub 3 ERA.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=176314

and I'm sure every projection you have ever made is spot on? People are allowed to be wrong on projections. I don't think that it discredits his ability to evaluate players.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Yeah I think everyone including the "experts" are wrong sometimes. I've been wrong a hundred times, but of course like everyone I'll just point out the things I was right about when the results are actually in.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:13 pm

just one of many examples. the fact i remembered his bad unfounded predictions despite not having visited this website much since this same time last year is a feat in itself.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers