Point System based on Runs Estimation Methods - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Point System based on Runs Estimation Methods

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 pm

I WILL find a way to do this for the 2008 season even if it means compiling the stats myself.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:I WILL find a way to do this for the 2008 season even if it means compiling the stats myself.

I actually inquired at a couple places about this and got no reply.

I will follow up. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:16 am

JTWood wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I WILL find a way to do this for the 2008 season even if it means compiling the stats myself.

I actually inquired at a couple places about this and got no reply.

I will follow up. ;-D

I asked Yahoo about this and got a fairly generic reply.

I'd need those stat categories I listed above as well as a minimum IP for the YEAR in a roto league. H2h (in which this would work really well too) already has the minimum ip. Even that might be problematic though as I'm not sure if you can do a minimum ip with a points league.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Point System based on Runs Estimation Methods

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I would still love to do this. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Point System based on Runs Estimation Methods

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:10 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I would still love to do this. ;-D

I've looked off-and-on all season and I'm just not happy with the things there are out there. I could fake it to fit it into a stat provider but that's not the point...I want a genuine, sabermetrically based points system.

I could see this done in two different ways. One way would be a non-h2h setup where your standings are based on your Pythagorean win expectation between your hitting and pitching. So if your team posted an estimated 35 runs during the week (based on our point system which tries to assign points accurately based on how many runs the batter created) and gave up an estimated 28 runs on the pitching side then our score for that week would be 0.610 or a .610 winning percentage since 35^2 / (35^2 + 28^2) = 0.610. To directly port this to h2h you could just compare winning percentages and the higher one wins. You could also toss in some variations (1 point for hitters, 1 point for pitchers, etc). My preference though would be a winner-take-all though.

One other thought on the winner-take-all...not sure if you could make it work but it would be fun if it did. Make the schedule DAILY. Make it so you face the other owners in a series of daily matchups where you have to fill a certain number of innings - say 9 innings daily (make the rosters deep enough where this is doable on a daily basis). That keeps the excitement of h2h matchups but takes some of the luck out of losing several weeks .610 to .609 and missing the playoffs because of that.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I know what I'd like to do. I could even do it with Excel given unlimited time...I could figure out the scoring from the box scores and pop out the standings after every day. But aren't we closing in on 10 years now where that hasn't been necessary? I'd even take a net of hitting points + pitching points (which are negative) instead of my Pythagorean scoring if that's what it took to get this up and running. What I don't want to do is what some other places have done - create a sabermetrically sound offensive points system and then fake it on the pitching end. :-P
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner