DONNIE BASEBALL IS BACK....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DONNIE BASEBALL IS BACK.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DONNIE BASEBALL IS BACK.......

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:13 pm

Mark my words.......Willie Randolph will get passed over for the next manager of the Yankees, if he had a shot. He must really interview badly because he has had many interviews for jobs. Donnie Baseball will manage the Yankees when Torre leaves.

Tuesday, November 4, 2003

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Donnie Baseball is coming back to the Bronx.

Don Mattingly has been persuaded by owner George Steinbrenner to become the New York Yankees' hitting coach.

Mattingly replaces Rick Down, who was fired last week after New York hit just .140 with runners in scoring position during its six-game loss to Florida in the World Series.

"It was kind of a unanimous decision," Mattingly said Tuesday.

He discussed taking the job with his wife and children and said the kids told him, "Go dad go, and do it."

Willie Randolph, who had been third-base coach for the last 10 years, becomes bench coach in place of Don Zimmer, who quit the day after the Series loss, saying he would never again work for Steinbrenner.

Lee Mazzilli, the first-base coach for the past four years, replaces Randolph as third-base coach -- unless Baltimore hires Mazzilli as its manager. Luis Sojo, who played in parts of seven seasons with the Yankees from 1996 through this year, takes over from Mazzilli as first-base coach.

Rich Monteleone remains as the bullpen coach, and Gary Tuck stays as the catching instructor.

Mel Stottlemyre, who became pitching coach when Joe Torre took over as manager before the 1996 season, said after the World Series he will take several weeks before deciding whether to return.

Mattingly, known as Donnie Baseball, was the 10th Yankees captain, holding the position from 1991-95, the last captain until Steinbrenner gave Derek Jeter the title in June.

Mattingly hit .307 with 222 homers and 1,099 RBI in a career that lasted from 1982 to 1995, when he retired because of back trouble. He won nine Gold Glove awards at first base, won the 1984 American League batting title and was voted the league's MVP award the following year.

His No. 23 was retired by the team in 1997, and he returned to the field three years later as a spring training instructor. He said then he didn't want a full-time baseball job, wanting to watch his three children grow up.

Mattingly's oldest son, Taylor, was selected by the Yankees out of Evansville (Ind.) Central High School in the 42nd round of the amateur draft in June. He hit .224 for the Gulf Coast Yankees with no extra-base hits and seven RBI in 58 at-bats.

When the Yankees fired Chris Chambliss as hitting coach after the 2000 season, Mattingly was contacted by Torre.

"It was back on the road, and I didn't want to go back on the road," Mattingly said then. "I didn't want to be gone."
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:18 pm

Yep, Mattingly is back in pinstripes. ;-D Hopefully, he can help Soriano. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:19 pm

Madison wrote:Yep, Mattingly is back in pinstripes. ;-D Hopefully, he can help Soriano. B-)

Indeed although I think that this was all about getting him back into the game to be the next Yankees' manager.

The funny thing is that the Yankees scored more runs than the Marlins and hit for a higher average (I think) in the Series but couldn't get any clutch hits.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:24 pm

Mattingly the new coach? Hmmm...........yeah, I guess I could see it happening down the road.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stevelabny » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:09 pm

donnie groundout teaches hitting??

lovely.

once he gets his hands on matsui, godzilla may never hit a fly ball again.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:23 pm

stevelabny wrote:donnie groundout teaches hitting??

lovely.

once he gets his hands on matsui, godzilla may never hit a fly ball again.

Yes. The same Donnie Groundout that tied the record by homering in 8 consecutive games and also was on his way to the HOF before his back went south. FYI.......Matsui is a solid hitter who will never approach 50+ HR's in the majors, even if he had Mark McGwire as his hitting coach.

I can understand when people say this and that about the Yankees but there isn't anything bad that can be said about #23. He was class on and off the field.
Lofunzo

Postby stevelabny » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:36 pm

this is what i say about donnie groundout.

1> he was a very good player for a few years.

2> he got hurt and couldnt play anymore

3> he kept playing

4> yankee fans continued to mindlessly worship the guy , living on his past glory because the team sucked so hard.

5> the last few yers he playes, he lost all power, and became to me forevermore DONNIE GROUNDOUT.

6> he is the perfect example of not knowing when to hang it up.

7> he wasnt even the best player on the team in the 80s. winfield was.

8> people still continue to worship the ground that donnie groundout walks on for reason i will never understand.

he was good, he got hurt, he didnt quit. and put a black mark on his career by doing so.

and YES, i am a yankees fan.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:35 pm

Hey, Stevlabny, lay off Donnie Baseball.

It's not his fault his back gave out. How can you be a Yankee fan and not like Mattingly?

I'm not saying he's one of the best first basemen ever, but he was the best for a four year period of time when I was 10-13, probably my most formative baseball years.

Your favorite players don't always have to be the best ones. He clearly showed he was legit, and the only reason for his decline were injuries. That's why people hold him at a higher level than maybe his stats justify, the "what if" factor.

You tell me, after 1987, did you think he was a sure fire hall of famer? So did everyone else. The guy had talent, he was humble, had a great work ethic, and acted like your average Joe.

So what if he played for too many years? Most Yankee fans were sad to see him go, even if he wasn't playing well. And he's the ONLY example of a player during my lifetime that caught the hearts of Yankee fans to the point where they still loved him regardless of his performance.

Class act. Not a Hall of Famer, but a great baseball player, regardless.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevelabny » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:00 pm

timkell wrote:You tell me, after 1987, did you think he was a sure fire hall of famer? So did everyone else. The guy had talent, he was humble, had a great work ethic, and acted like your average Joe.

So what if he played for too many years? Most Yankee fans were sad to see him go, even if he wasn't playing well. And he's the ONLY example of a player during my lifetime that caught the hearts of Yankee fans to the point where they still loved him regardless of his performance.

this is my point. he had a great four years. thats it. and youre taking personal offense to me nicknaming "donnie groundout" and bashing him for sticking around too long.
he doesnt get any extra points with me for being humble, a great work ethic and acting like an average joe.
personally, i prefer my players to be cocky, confident and talk trash at any time. much more FUN that way.
sports are about talent and winning.
if youre great and you win, i dont care if youre the worlds biggest dirtbag, i want you on my team.
i never understand why people apply such concepts to SPORTS where winning is the only thing that matters.

as for ny fans continuing to love him during his final pathetic years, i'm pretty sure that jeter will get the same treatment, especially since most fans dont gloss over his weak points due to his winning record, but because they really dont see any.
and the fans already started to turn on bernie this year when he still actually put up decent offensive numbers and just couldnt play center anymore.
i think years of winning have spoiled yankee fans, maybe they will turn on jeter in his decline too. the fans only cheered for mattingly at the end because there was nothing else to cheer for.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:12 pm

I don't like getting into discussions when the other side refuses to see any other point of view. You wan't to call him Donnie Groundout? Go ahead. Say what you want about him. He did have a nice postseason when he finally got the chance, didn't he?

I will never be confused with those who believe that he should be in the Hall of Fame. For you to say that he rode Winfield's coattails is ignorant. Mattingly was the leader of that team. If you choose to ignore that, then so be it. I'll take Mattingly's best over Dave's best any day. Dave just happened to have the healthier career and I can accept that.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers