The Grammys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Grammys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby statsman88 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 am

The Police re-uniting were the only reason I watched, then I found out I must have missed it :-t

But yeah, the music is terrible. It stuns me that they give out awards for that crap
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:42 am

cordscords wrote:Stadium Arcadium should have won everything in every category even if it didnt qualify.

Wayyyy too many fillers. Especially on side b.

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:Music this year was pretty bad. Plus, giving the Dixie Chicks all these awards is basically admitting, "you guys were right about Bush, it just took us longer to realize it". All the nominees were awful, so i think the academy or whoever gives out the grammys just felt like making a political statement.

This just isn't a good year for music. Dixie Chicks shouldn't have win it. But it's not any worse than Halle Barry winning the Oscar for Monsterball.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 am

The Police opened the show and did a fantastic version of "Roxanne". I absolutely loved it, and will pay whatever it costs to see them when/if they tour this year.

I turned off the Grammys after that... Office Space was on Comedy Central. ;-D

... I did flick over (during an Office Space commercial) and saw that dog-faced Dixie Chicks woman singing (whining) about not being ready to accept the world's apology or something. I immediately flicked away and never returned. It bothers me to read (in this thread) that the Dixie Cows won a bunch of awards last night... though I'm not surprised (political reasons mentioned above).

All I know is, Prince and The Police both rocked network TV in the course of one week in the Year 2007.... justifying my being permanently stuck in the 1980s. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:53 am

It's a pop music awards show; what do you guys expect?

It can't really compare to the Oscars, because at least with movies, there can be a fairly common consensus on what makes a film award-worthy. Things like screenplays, cinematography, directing, acting and visual effects can all be quantitatively measured in some way.

Music is so vast and engrossing that it's nearly impossible to pick out the best of the best. A group or artist can excel in their genre, but lack any kind of overall appeal. The opposite can be true too. Also, personal taste plays a much larger part in the appeal of music than that of movies. It's also so argumentative; as well as discouraging and frustrating.

The Grammy's are, in my opinion, the most meaningless of all awards shows. Unless they could break awards down into each, prospective genre, it will always be absurd.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:55 am

Pacman wrote:The Police opened the show and did a fantastic version of "Roxanne". I absolutely loved it, and will pay whatever it costs to see them when/if they tour this year.

Amen! I'm there too! They're currently in Vancouver doing tour rehearsal and they're supposed to be announcing the tour (and presumably tour dates) today, 2/12/07.

Pacman wrote:I turned off the Grammys after that... Office Space was on Comedy Central. ;-D

Me too.

Pacman wrote:... I did flick over (during an Office Space commercial) and saw that dog-faced Dixie Chicks woman singing (whining) about not being ready to accept the world's apology or something. I immediately flicked away and never returned. It bothers me to read (in this thread) that the Dixie Cows won a bunch of awards last night... though I'm not surprised (political reasons mentioned above).

I saw them too, and it bugs me too. The Dixie Chicks may have been right about Bush, but even if they were they still suck and their music sucks, and whether they're ready to accept the world's apology or not is irrelevant. They're still in my doghouse for going to a foreign country and bashing a sitting president during a time of war. I support their right to Free Speech, I just think they're idiots for their timing and the audience to which they delivered their message.

Pacman wrote:All I know is, Prince and The Police both rocked network TV in the course of one week in the Year 2007.... justifying my being permanently stuck in the 1980s. ;-D

There's nothing wrong with being stuck in the 1980s. That's the last decade when music really mattered, IMO. What we have now is schlock compared to the 60s through the 80s. The Music Industry controls the product so much that what we have are a bunch of crappy, cookie-cutter bands with little or no soul.

I'm all over that Police tour. It'll be the first concert I've gone to in over a decade, and the way things are going it may be the last one I go to.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am

Music awards show??? Whats this music you speak of? ............ My radio is only set to sports talk :-o Yes, i've got problems!!

.....no i'm not kidding....

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:57 pm

For the love of God, the "Shufflin' Crew" was nominated in 85. The awards are a joke. I didn't even realize they were on.

I also have no interest in the Oscars, Emmys, or any other back-slapping celebrity borefest.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby daullaz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Though I liked Release Therapy, I would have loved to see Food & Liquor take Best Rap Album.

I enjoyed the Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend, John Mayer performance
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Before my ranting

I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones on saturday night and that band has more talent then any of the clowns that won the "Popular" catagories. He was nominated for 2 this round so his total is 22 nominations now. He's been nominated in more catagories then anyone else ever

Flecks' total Grammy count is 8 Grammys won, and 20 nominations. He has been nominated in more different categories than anyone in Grammy history.

The grammys are funny because the people with the most talent are not seen on TV. The no talent bums are however

Some notes:

BEST POP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCAL
"My Humps," The Black Eyed Peas WINNER

My Humps really? ok the awards lost the little credibility they had. Again our country is falling into the crapper

You have to be frickin kidding me! This isn't even music

BEST POP INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE
"Mornin'," George Benson (& Al Jarreau) WINNER
"Drifting" Enya
"Subterfuge," Béla Fleck & The Flecktones
"Song H," Bruce Hornsby
"My Favorite Things," The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Bela should have won it.

BEST HARD ROCK PERFORMANCE
"Crazy Bitch," Buckcherry
"Every Day Is Exactly The Same," Nine Inch Nails
"Lonely Day," System Of A Down
"Vicarious," Tool
"Woman," Wolfmother WINNER

NIN System and Tool are better then Zeppelin cover Band Wolfmother

[/quote]
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:29 pm

The Police were reason enough to tune in, at least at the beginning. I'm glad I got to see that. ;-D ;-D ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk