Time to unveil my new keeper rules ... please comment! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to unveil my new keeper rules ... please comment!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotodog » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:36 pm

I like it..didnt get a whole lot of time to go tthru everything..but i will.Got an opening in the league? :-D
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:03 am

ramble2 wrote:I've removed the section on the multiple C-Ys scenario (the Manny example). It was an optional variant anyway, and I think probably shouldn't be introduced until after people are comfortable with the original concept.

Waiver wire stuff works just like normal. In fact, you can drop guys that have long contracts, but it's just like MLB - contracts are guaranteed. So if you drop someone from your squad who has a long contract, you are still obligated to that contract unless someone else picks him up.

I think the major question for my system is whether you could convince people to use it. It comes across as a lot more complicated than it is, but it does require some thought and activity in the off-season. Not everyone is willing to do that.

got it ... the CY seems interesting, but I guess could get confusing to people real quick...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:27 am

I have a few responses.

wrveres, the reason we have the C-Ys set from 10-15 is to force people to make tough choices. Under the system as it stands, you could sign Prior to a 7 year deal, but it would be risky (what if/when :-D he misses a year due Tommy John surgery?). It would also mean that it would be more difficult to retain other players. It might be a winning strategy, I don't know. That's part of what I like about this system, though; it allows people to use different strategies.

Madison, that's a good point about trading away future C-Ys to win today. I'm not exactly sure how you could stop that, except for a commissioner to step in. In any league people can always play unfairly, I guess my main response is that hopefully you know the people you play with well enough to know this won't happen.

Still, I think there are some built in checks to at least discourage this from happening. First of all, I doubt that people would trade star players for future C-Ys. Would you trade Prior or A-Rod? You might if you thought you could get them back with the C-Ys you just traded for, but then I think you are bordering on collusion. Secondly, most of the best players will probably be signed to multi-year deals. If you traded away all of your future C-Ys, then you wouldn't be able to have any player on your team that was signed beyond the current year.

Still, it's a good point. I'll have to think about whether there's a rule I can add that would help prevent it. We have considered adding rules against trading future C-Ys for current ones (you have to trade something else instead).

In the situation as you describe it, I'd probably just dissolve the team and treat the new team as an expansion team. There are a number of ways to bring expansion teams into the league (e.g., give them 10 C-Ys and let them go after free agents, give them supplemental picks, etc.).

rotodog wrote:I like it..didnt get a whole lot of time to go tthru everything..but i will.Got an opening in the league? :-D

No openings this year! If we ever get another opening, I'll be sure to post it in the Cafe!

I might be interested in starting up a H2H keeper using this system, but I'm not sure that I have the time right now to run a second league.

Thanks for all the great comments!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:33 am

I like the expansion idea. It would allow the new owner to have a little room to work with, without giving him a big advantage. Not a bad idea. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:37 am

ramble2 wrote:wrveres, the reason we have the C-Ys set from 10-15 is to force people to make tough choices. Under the system as it stands, you could sign Prior to a 7 year deal, but it would be risky (what if/when :-D he misses a year due Tommy John surgery?). It would also mean that it would be more difficult to retain other players. It might be a winning strategy, I don't know. That's part of what I like about this system, though; it allows people to use different strategies.

a few thoughts on CY's .... or strategy ..

Avg is ... 12. 10 cy bieng lowest and 15cy being the highest. everything should be based upon 3year contracts, so basically 4 keepers for three years ... I get to draft 5th round.
year 1 ... 12cy used 4 keepers
year 2 ... 8cy used on 4 keepers 4cy on 1 keeper for total of 5 keepers
year 3 ... 7cy used on 5 keepers 4cy on 1 keeper for total of 6 keepers ... 1 excess CY remaining
year 4 ... 7cy used on 2 keepers 4cy on 1 keeper for total of 3 keepers ... 1 excess CY remaing ..

LOL .. this is why it gets confusing ...

I have no idea if ANY thing I just wrote made any fricking sense at all ...... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh..

Down with contract years :-t .... bring me 5x5..... :~(
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers