Jesus Camp (DVD) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Jesus Camp (DVD)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jesus Camp (DVD)

Postby BGbootha » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:27 am

Has anyone else out there seen this. I watched it tonight. It is just straight scary. This is borderline child abuse and they are seen as heroes in their own community. I don't even know what to say about it, it was powerful that was for sure. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, go get it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0486358/
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Melo255 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:51 am

Yea I saw this at Kendall Square Cinema about 6 months ago and couldn't stop thinking about it for days.

All this country ever talks about is Islamic extremism and how it has to be stopped but this shows how children in all countries and of all faiths can be exploited and brainwashed by the adults in the community who are fanatical about their 'cause'.

I'm pretty sure I read recently that after this movie was released this camp was shut down due to significant outrage from those who never even knew it existed.

Definitely a 2nd on the recommendation.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:59 am

It is very important to note that the people in this camp are NOT Christians. Sure, they may call themselves Christians and they may claim to pray to Christ, but their actions couldn't be further away from what Christ taught. I could put jerry curl in my hair and listen to hip-hop but it still wouldn't make me Black. See what I mean?

These people are fringe radicals who have grasped on to a marketing tool, nothing more.

So please, when you read this kind of stuff, condemn the people who are abusing others' faith. Do not condemn Christ and/or all Christians because of these people.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:19 am

knapplc wrote:It is very important to note that the people in this camp are NOT Christians. Sure, they may call themselves Christians and they may claim to pray to Christ, but their actions couldn't be further away from what Christ taught. I could put jerry curl in my hair and listen to hip-hop but it still wouldn't make me Black. See what I mean?

These people are fringe radicals who have grasped on to a marketing tool, nothing more.

So please, when you read this kind of stuff, condemn the people who are abusing others' faith. Do not condemn Christ and/or all Christians because of these people.

If you have ever listened to Islamic scholars that is exactly what they say about fundamentalist terrorists.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:27 am

The problem as I see it is that people generally will not question their church, chuch-leaders or self-described Christians. Which is unfortunate, but suppose that is what documentaries like this are supposed to show.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:32 am

Mookie4ever wrote: If you have ever listened to Islamic scholars that is exactly what they say about fundamentalist terrorists.

I have, and they're right. That's why you can't paint all Muslims with the same broad brush.

It holds true with anything. Stereotypes suck and they're terribly unhelpful in living your life. Neither is judging a book by its cover or counting your chickens before they hatch.

If anyone is looking for any more dumb sayings, I'll be running a seminar called "knapplc's Trite Sayings - You Too Can Be A Master of the Obvious" next week over on the Light Side. ;-)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:35 am

Coppermine wrote:The problem as I see it is that people generally will not question their church, chuch-leaders or self-described Christians. Which is unfortunate, but suppose that is what documentaries like this are supposed to show.

Unquestioned obedience is a good way to become a robot. That's what Hitler was counting on (and received) in Germany circa the 1930s. You should question everything, even your faith in God. It's by these questions that you become stronger. Failing to ask those questions is one of the most dangerous things you can do in your life.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:45 am

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The problem as I see it is that people generally will not question their church, chuch-leaders or self-described Christians. Which is unfortunate, but suppose that is what documentaries like this are supposed to show.

Unquestioned obedience is a good way to become a robot. That's what Hitler was counting on (and received) in Germany circa the 1930s. You should question everything, even your faith in God. It's by these questions that you become stronger. Failing to ask those questions is one of the most dangerous things you can do in your life.

Wow knapp, well said ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokeyjoe » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:09 pm

knapplc wrote:

Very well said, I agree 100 percent.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:59 pm

I've seen clips of this documentary on Youtube. I found it disturbing just at the fact that there are people out there who would want (or feel "compelled" by supposedly God) to send their children away to this kind of camp. I know that if/when I have kids, I'd raise them Christian, but I'd encourage them to learn to challenge everything and really focus on the hard questions, as knapp said.

I was born and raised Catholic and I've also found that when you test what you believe (even to the point you have faith crises), you can potentially build up the strength in your faith. I'm sort of in a stage in my life where my relationship with God is lagging (oh, try the last 5-7 years), but keeping a healthy openness and skepticism to faith.

Also, faith should be allowed to evolve. It's never a matter of whether you have it or not, but I've found that faith goes through continuous cycles of death, rebirth, and growth. In short, faith is a journey, much like life is. Some people don't realize that.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Next

Return to General Talk