Drafting Secrets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Drafting Secrets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting Secrets

Postby bigpapi3434 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Whats the best way to draft? pitchers first, hitters first? low depth positions first? what works for you?
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnnymeyer33 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Get your stud hitters, they look better
jonathan meyer
johnnymeyer33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tramplers » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:01 pm

First, this post probably needed to be in the leftover section. That being said, here is my "basic" strategy

My general rules

1. Unless I can get a top teir SP, and there are only a few, I usually wait until round 10 or so the get SPs.

2. Once the first RP is taken, it usually starts a run. I agree that closers are one of the most unreliable positions overall but there are a few that will be golden most of the time. Try to get one. You will probably have to get one of the elites in rounds 4-6 depending on when the run starts.

3. I usually take the best overall players the first few rounds. MIs are notoriously weak, but unless I can get a stud I won't pass over a stud OFer for a mediocre MI.

4. After the first 5 rounds or so, I start trying to fill in most positions that I haven't already filled. Again, don't pass up an obviously better player just to fill a position though.

5. Middle to late rounds try to get a couple of rookies/prospects/sleepers. Don't go overboard and load up your team with them though.

These are my general rules. Of course depending on how your draft goes, you may have to change on the fly. Drafting is an art and you have to be flexible.
Tramplers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rupertoooo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:01 pm

My philosophy is a simple one. Hitters reign supreme. 9 times out of 10 my first 4-5 selections will be hitters, unless Santana falls below 8th overall or Carpenter, Oswalt or Zambrano fall into the late 4th round that how I will draft. I will select a top tier closer in 5 or 6 than start filling out my rotation in rounds 7-12. Personally I would be thrilled to have a staff consisting of any four of the following: Felix Hernandez, Brett Myers, Dan Haren, Jered, Weaver, Cole Hamels, Chris Young, Matt Cain, John Lackey or Rich Hill. This is a definite possibility if you use this drafting philosophy.

But than again drafts can have some serious kinks thrown in so as the previous post stated you must be prepared to change on the fly.
rupertoooo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigpapi3434 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:35 pm

im pretty good in drafting with hockey and football, but H2H baseball for me is a curse lol last year i finished 1st and 2nd in roto leagues but 5th and 8th in H2H, i must just not have a good balance of players and busts too like Texiera picking him 1st last year and a few other mistakes, this year my main goal is trying to get players that arent injury prone cause that was the death of me late last year.
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Seattle_Will » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:09 pm

I typically try and draft what I think is the best value, usually ignoring the positions altogether. If you end up with 5 Outfielders in the first 5 rounds, that means somebody else will have a need for one of them later, and you can always trade to get what you need.
Seattle_Will
College Coach
College Coach

Postby APAP » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:09 am

rupertoooo wrote:My philosophy is a simple one. Hitters reign supreme. 9 times out of 10 my first 4-5 selections will be hitters, unless Santana falls below 8th overall or Carpenter, Oswalt or Zambrano fall into the late 4th round that how I will draft. I will select a top tier closer in 5 or 6 than start filling out my rotation in rounds 7-12. Personally I would be thrilled to have a staff consisting of any four of the following: Felix Hernandez, Brett Myers, Dan Haren, Jered, Weaver, Cole Hamels, Chris Young, Matt Cain, John Lackey or Rich Hill. This is a definite possibility if you use this drafting philosophy.

But than again drafts can have some serious kinks thrown in so as the previous post stated you must be prepared to change on the fly.

Deffinitely, that's pretty much the strategy I use, except I never draft a SP in the first round.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tramplers » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:45 am

that's pretty much the strategy I use, except I never draft a SP in the first round.

Normally that's true. The only SP I would think of taking before round 5 is Santana. He is heads and shoulders above any other SP out there.
Tramplers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigpapi3434 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Seattle_Will wrote:I typically try and draft what I think is the best value, usually ignoring the positions altogether. If you end up with 5 Outfielders in the first 5 rounds, that means somebody else will have a need for one of them later, and you can always trade to get what you need.

thats true but only if everyone participates in the league
bigpapi3434
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mission27 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:09 pm

I have a simple stradigie. The first 6 rounds are for hitting. The next five for pitching and the rest is for trying to round out my roster. Again though, I would consider Santana in the first and if he falls past that then DEFINITLY pick him up.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team