Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Shortstop Deal in '04

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best SS

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:21 am

grammysboy wrote:
Arlo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shortsavage wrote:So, you are wrong HOOTIE. Hehe, no other way to put it ;-D .

ohhhh, that might have been a mistake. :-o

You are about to get bombarded with some very oscure facts.

wrveres called his shot! :-D

Savage, I'm learning quickly that those of us who don't have lots of balls under our names should be careful what we say to the guys who have the balls. Those guys almost have to make this stuff their entire life to be able to make that many posts. Just a little observation that may be helpful to you and me and the rest of us who are fairly new to the cafe.

Haha, yeah it is fun to mess around with some of the guys though, Especially ones like HOOTIE who have numbers that can support why my grandma will travel 238ft in 3 minutes in her wheelchair on a rainy day in March.

Numbers do not always win. Think about the choices scouts have to make when drafting a guy straight out of high school. Or, what about teams who bring a guy up from A to AA even though his stats do not seem that great? And, there is a lot of luck that could factor in (hehe and some numbers people even have numbers that attempt to account for luck).

I have taken college statistics and I know that there are two kinds of statistics...lies and damn lies. Most of the ones you see around here a damn good lies. But, it is always nice to hear some points that do not have to be paired with numbers. And, if I have seen Tejada play on a daily basis, here in the Bay area, I should know a few things that his numbers can not tell you.

Regular observation has more truth than numbers. I know my grandma can only travel 218ft in 3 minutes in her wheelchair on a rainy day in March. The 238ft statistic was taken before she injured her shoulder and I am sure that lately she has been Shawn Greening it. Absorb all the numbers you want, but, just like you would with an opinion, take them with a grain of salt. If numbers could tell the whole story, fantasy baseball would be a math exercise rather than a critical thinking drill.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:49 am

Since numbers are being doubted lately in some threads, lets look at words (scouting reports), from Stats Scouting Notebook.

Miggys pre 02 defensive report

[Quote] There is little on the diamong that Tejada can't do with evident ease, including playing defense. With some experience under his belt, he makes the routine plays at ss. He also turns in share of spectaculur ones, showing good range.

pre 03 report

[Qoute] In the field, he was a revelation, appearing in highlight films on a nightly basis with acrobatic leaps and dives and a stellar arm. He increased his assists from 01, and his errors, were a career best.

Tejada at 22 in 98, was a bad ss. But he's matured alot since then. If the eyes were such a compelling factor in things, they would certaintly hold up better in court. Eye witness accounts have little credibility. Ask the same 10 people what they saw, and you likely get 10 different responses.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Best SS

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:33 pm

Madison wrote:
shortsavage wrote:and Miggy maid 5 errors,

Sorry to do this, but you were really getting on to someone about their english skills before, so here it goes:

Was Tejada wearing a maid's outfit when he made those errors? 8-o

I have to admit that it would be a funny sight to see if it was true. :-b

Haha, nice catch. I will try to be less critical about English errors, before everyone thinks I am an absolute hypocrite.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby grammysboy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:12 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Since numbers are being doubted lately in some threads, lets look at words (scouting reports), from Stats Scouting Notebook.

Miggys pre 02 defensive report

There is little on the diamong that Tejada can't do with evident ease, including playing defense. With some experience under his belt, he makes the routine plays at ss. He also turns in share of spectaculur ones, showing good range.

pre 03 report

[Qoute] In the field, he was a revelation, appearing in highlight films on a nightly basis with acrobatic leaps and dives and a stellar arm. He increased his assists from 01, and his errors, were a career best.

Tejada at 22 in 98, was a bad ss. But he's matured alot since then. If the eyes were such a compelling factor in things, they would certaintly hold up better in court. Eye witness accounts have little credibility. Ask the same 10 people what they saw, and you likely get 10 different responses.

I'm going to partially throw in with shortsavage on this one. I watch lots of games on TV and it always looks like the ball screams off the bat of Giant players over the right field wall in San Fancisco. I have a friend who goes to games there regularly who assures me the blasts off Barry's bat are phenominal! The TV screen doesn't give an accurate picture of how difficult it is to hit in that stadium. I am sure Hootie will have numbers that support this statement: "Barry Bonds would have many more HR's if he played half his games in a more hitter-friendly park."
At the same time, numbers will often support the things we see with our own eyes. For instance, I saw Mike Sweeney grimmace in pain for several games before they took him out of the line-up. His production was falling dramatically and he never really did regain the comfortable look we had become accustomed to. Same with Larry Walker who's numbers were way below normal, but who has had two surgeries since season's end.
Numbers go a long way toward helping fantasy owners to make good decisions and they are invaluable to big league scouts, but I have never heard of a player being signed to a pro contract strictly on his numbers. The teams will always send someone to watch him before they offer anything. What they see are those intangibles like leadership, teamwork, hustle, desire and attention to detail.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers