Best Shortstop Deal in '04 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Shortstop Deal in '04

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:17 am

shortsavage wrote:
Don't you think Matsui would simply explode in the media if he were to come over? Shoot, even Shinjo was made popular and he ended up being a dog.

Shinjo was a career 249 hitter in Japan. He was never expected to be more then a low outfielder.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Best Shortstop Deal in '04

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:18 am

shortsavage wrote:Who is going to provide the most bang for his cost next season?

I am going to go with Angel Berroa and Alex Cintron.

I dont think Berroa will be any bargain. After what he earned this year, plus more hype if he wins roy, in auction leagues could be overvalued.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby mightyian5 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:27 am

i doubt cintron is worth our time.

look at berroa and cabrera like they said. this has been the second big year that cabrera has posted (he had like 95 rbis two years ago i think). he may be your best choice.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:59 am

Isn't Arod the best value at SS .... Thats why he goes first. :-) My understanding anyways. I could be wrong 8-o

personally I'll be pulling for Cintron, Cabrera and Greene.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:16 am

Adam Everett and Brian Roberts could be great final few rounds picks as well. Even though there will be VERY low expectations surrounding their names, especially Roberts, they will be decent back ups at the least.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:30 am

What about Miggy's replacement in Oakland? Crosby might be the best value.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby mightyian5 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:52 am

vizquel is still in cleveland and will be returning from injury. the potential replacements are jhonny peralta and angel santos at the moment. santos has a little pop and could possibly be a nice replacement down the road. peralta on the other hand looks like juan gonzalez up there taking hacks and needs to change his stance before hell be able to do anything with the bat.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:36 am

wrveres wrote:Isn't Arod the best value at SS .... Thats why he goes first. :-) My understanding anyways. I could be wrong 8-o

personally I'll be pulling for Cintron, Cabrera and Greene.

Lol. :-b

I think they meant the biggest steal or sleeper at SS. Greene and Cintron look good to me. I have to admit that Crosby slipped my mind. He could be nice. Nothing fancy, but not bad.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby grammysboy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:38 pm

In an auction, A-Rod goes way to high. He brought $60 in our league last year. If the Rangers encouraged him to steal bases he might be worth that, but with that kind of investment they can't afford the risk of him running on the base paths.

Who knows where Tejada will end up, but I doubt he will get off to the terrible start he did this year - where ever he is.

Nomar is being rumored as possible trade bait. Where he ends up could have a significant impact on his value.

Jeter is still a liability in the field, but that .317 lifetime BA is very attractive. Rumor is they plan to move him to third in the batting order which would improve his RBIs. I'm not yet convinced the Yankees won't go after Tejada, possibly move Jeter to 2B and send Soriano to the outfield where he probably belongs.

Renteria is a proven producer who can help anyone's team.

Mike Sweeney says, without hesitation, "Angel Berroa is the best kept secret on our team (Royals)." He won't be available in our keeper league because some idiot (wanna guess who?) traded him for Aaron Boone.

I can't recall the name, it's in an article here in the cafe I think, but there is another SS who may be coming from Japan in addition to Matsui. Apparently his numbers are about as good and he will not cost nearly as much.

The word is Kahlil Greene can't miss, same with Crosby. That's usually a signal to sit and watch. Greene didn't do anything spectacular when he came up at the end of the season, but he may next year when he is expected to have the job coming out of spring training. Cintron is going to be a good one too.

There's a look at some of the big names and some of the new names. I have Greene as a $10 keeper right now, but anticipate throwing him back and picking him up for less. I'm one of only two or three in our league who watch rookies and emerging players closly. I will be able to get Greene or Crosby for $5 or less next spring.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers