Chris Duffy - Sleeper? Leadoff? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Duffy - Sleeper? Leadoff? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Duffy is a nice sleeper but I think you should be looking somewhere around 30-35 SBs for him.

If he could learn to get on base more, he could be a fantasy stud.

that seems about right, expect about 30 and hope for 40+. He is capable of being a very nice fantast plaeyer this year and could be a good sleeper.
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Chris Duffy - sleeper or stinker?

Postby kemper5 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:11 pm

40+

;-D
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Duffy could be a decent, cheap source of steals, but I wouldn't bank on any more than 40. Despite his SB success in a half season last season, his OBP of .317 and OPS of .655 means he has to make improvements in that area to stay in the everyday lineup.
He gave me a nice boost down the stretch last season, but I'd like to see Pitt give McClouth (who was just as poor but is 2 years younger) the everyday job.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Ty Webb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:59 pm

duffy will get 40.
Ty Webb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Duff's a Freel-type fantasy guy...good for steals, but not much else. Only downside is no extra eligibility.

Christ strikes out way too much and doesn't get on base enough. I mean sure, he could somehow figure it out this year...who knows for sure.

All I do know is this: that boy should be trying to steal every single time he gets on first base. He basically did that at the end of last year and had 23 steals in 52 games...only caught once all year. You could see 50 steals from him if he stays healthy and hits a little better. I think he's a good sleeper outfielder for the last rounds if you are looking for steals. ;-D

And yes...they are using this year to see if Duffy can cut it. That's why they didn't try to shop him in the off-season. Several teams were interested (I think the Marlins were thinking about sending us Jacobs for Duffy and another player). McCutcheon will be up with the Pirates pretty soon...possibly next year.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Duff's a Freel-type fantasy guy...good for steals, but not much else. Only downside is no extra eligibility.

Christ strikes out way too much and doesn't get on base enough. I mean sure, he could somehow figure it out this year...who knows for sure.

All I do know is this: that boy should be trying to steal every single time he gets on first base. He basically did that at the end of last year and had 23 steals in 52 games...only caught once all year. You could see 50 steals from him if he stays healthy and hits a little better. I think he's a good sleeper outfielder for the last rounds if you are looking for steals. ;-D

And yes...they are using this year to see if Duffy can cut it. That's why they didn't try to shop him in the off-season. Several teams were interested (I think the Marlins were thinking about sending us Jacobs for Duffy and another player). McCutcheon will be up with the Pirates pretty soon...possibly next year.

Since they wouldn't trade him to the ATL in the LaRoche deal, I'm thinking they are giving him a legit shot at the full time gig. They must see something they like in him. That said, I'd expect 35 steals and anything else is gravy in terms of fantasy.

So while his bread and butter may be steals I think he can help you in R's and AVG too, so he isn't just a one category player.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:55 pm

I like him. Anyone that has the speed to swipe 30+ and a starting gig only he can lose is definitely worth a roster spot for me. Burke also.

Better than drafting someone like Pierre.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KHI » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:55 pm

I'd definately be going after Duffy instead guys like Pierre (taken to high) and Freel (seems to play every other game) if he'll still be the leadoff starter.
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:28 pm

I am going to predict that Duffy is on the bench or in minors by June
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:15 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I am going to predict that Duffy is on the bench or in minors by June

Yeah because apparently they have so many better options. ;-7
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers