iPhone Killer! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

iPhone Killer!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:18 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
This is where Apple will excel over the competition.

honestly i think the OS is one of the biggest limitations of the iphone. its too restrictive. no third party apps are permitted. you can only put stuff on it that apple approves. third party apps are one of the biggest drivers of smart phone/pda sales. they drive innovation and loyalty. if windows mobile isnt your cup of tea you can customize it till your heart is content. if you want a new feature for a windows mobile phone/pda you can buy third party software or hardware. if you want a new feature for your iphone you have to buy a new phone. thats music to apple's ears, but not to mine.

Great point. The customization features are what make me love my phone.

I can download many many free programs to work with Windows Mobile 5. I love it about my phone.

Free media players, games, GPS, Satelitte radio software, IM software etc..
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Yeah but without a good OS, all that hardware junk is worthless.

:-?

gps...junk? works great for me.

This is where Apple will excel over the competition.

honestly i think the OS is one of the biggest limitations of the iphone. its too restrictive. no third party apps are permitted. you can only put stuff on it that apple approves. third party apps are one of the biggest drivers of smart phone/pda sales. they drive innovation and loyalty. if windows mobile isnt your cup of tea you can customize it till your heart is content. if you want a new feature for a windows mobile phone/pda you can buy third party software or hardware. if you want a new feature for your iphone you have to buy a new phone. thats music to apple's ears, but not to mine.

It's a phone. It's not a gps device or a small laptop. If it is designed well to function as a phone, then who the hell cares? iPods do one thing well and with far less functionality and inferior technology they own 70% of the market. You guys can tell people there are better products out there until you are blue in the face but let's face it. No one is going to come close to the iPods in terms of sales any time soon.

People are so hung up on cramming all this tech into one small device but really, what is the point? I have a phone that is pretty much a small laptop and I don't use 80% of the functions available to me.

If you don't want the iPhone then don't buy it. Very simple.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 am

acsguitar wrote:
ironman wrote:My phone has Tetris on it!

Nice My phone now has.

50 NES games
10 SNES games
Sirius Satellite Radio
Windows Media Player
TCMediaPlayer
A word pad
A PDF, XCEL, WORD Reader
Wifi Internet
A microSD slot
Video and Mp3 Player
Usage as a Portable Harddrive
Camera
Email Integration via Sync and Over the Air

I like very much! ;-D

Yeah, well mine has the numbers of a lot of hot UCSB girls in it AND Hells Bells is my ringtone. How do you like them apples? :-b
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:29 am

Yoda wrote:If you don't want the iPhone then don't buy it. Very simple.

Unless I'm completely misreading, I think that's what everyone in this thread has basically said. :-?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:31 am

Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:If you don't want the iPhone then don't buy it. Very simple.

Unless I'm completely misreading, I think that's what everyone in this thread has basically said. :-?

I think Yoda's an Apple fan; or at least anti-anything Microsoft; which is cool, but, I don't think he likes us bashing the iPhone :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eftda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:30 pm

I call people on my phone.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:Neither of these phones are out yet and people are already praising/bashing?

Well yeah, assuming it does what they say they do... that's part of the fun of electronics.

Yes but how can you pass judgement on not one but two pieces of equipment that are not even out yet? Just seems silly to me but anyway.

It's not necessarily passing judgement. It's simply pointing out the good and the bad so people are educated on it before it comes out. There's usually still time for the maker to change things up as well. Video game consoles are probably one of the biggest talked about things prior to launch of most electronics, but talking about them ahead of time is a good thing. Phones, IPODs, televisions and things are now so expensive that people want to learn about them ahead of time to find out what the benefits are of the product, and what the disadvantages or limitations are (if any) on the product.

So anyway, I don't really see it as passing judgement right now. If someone says "it stinks!", or "it's awseome!", that's their opinion, but the final product hasn't hit the sales floor yet, so it's not a final verdict or anything. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:Neither of these phones are out yet and people are already praising/bashing?

Well yeah, assuming it does what they say they do... that's part of the fun of electronics.

Yes but how can you pass judgement on not one but two pieces of equipment that are not even out yet? Just seems silly to me but anyway.

It's not necessarily passing judgement. It's simply pointing out the good and the bad so people are educated on it before it comes out. There's usually still time for the maker to change things up as well. Video game consoles are probably one of the biggest talked about things prior to launch of most electronics, but talking about them ahead of time is a good thing. Phones, IPODs, televisions and things are now so expensive that people want to learn about them ahead of time to find out what the benefits are of the product, and what the disadvantages or limitations are (if any) on the product.

So anyway, I don't really see it as passing judgement right now. If someone says "it stinks!", or "it's awseome!", that's their opinion, but the final product hasn't hit the sales floor yet, so it's not a final verdict or anything. ;-)

Having an opinion is fine but calling something a something killer before either product is available for sale is sort of silly. Just like how Zune was dubbed the iPod killer when it was announced and every Apple basher was raving about it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Yoda wrote:
Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Having an opinion is fine but calling something a something killer before either product is available for sale is sort of silly. Just like how Zune was dubbed the iPod killer when it was announced and every Apple basher was raving about it.

I agree that some people to go a bit overboard way too early nowadays. No disagreement on that here. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I agree that some people to go a bit overboard way too early nowadays. No disagreement on that here. B-)

Dude, my VCR is an iPhone killer. Can the iPhone play VHS? DIDN'T THINK SO!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk