New Cuban Pitcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Cuban Pitcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Cuban Pitcher

Postby jay » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:29 pm

One of Cuba's top pitchers defected in an undisclosed country so he can begin playing professionally in the United States, a Cuban exile leader said Friday.

Maels Rodriguez and another player, Yobal Duenas, were reported missing by Cuban authorities Saturday.

The Miami Herald speculated that the pair might be in El Salvador.

"They're safe," said Joe Garcia, executive director of the Cuban American National Foundation. He declined further comment.

If the players seek political asylum or residency outside the United States, they most likely will be declared free agents by Major League Baseball and be able to sign with any team.

The players' Miami-based agent, Henry Vilar, did not return telephone messages Friday.

Rodriguez, a 24-year-old right-hander, is one of Cuba's top pitchers and his fastball is said to regularly top 100 mph.

"I want to play the best baseball, and that's in the United States," Rodriguez said. "It's a difficult step because you know how things are in Cuba. So when Yobal and I made this decision, it was the most important one in our careers."

Rodriguez set the single-season strikeout record in Cuba with 263 in 178 1/3 innings three years ago. This season, he was 8-3 in 113 innings with 117 strikeouts and an ERA of 3.11. Cuban officials left him off the Pan American Games and Olympic qualifying teams, blaming arm and back injuries for the loss of 15 mph off his fastball.

"I'm going to demonstrate that I can still throw 100," Rodriguez said Thursday on Miami Spanish-language radio station WQBA-AM. "These are things that they invent to cut a little off the careers of some athletes."

Duenas, a second baseman, is a former Cuban stolen base champion. At 31, he is on the down side of a career in which he debuted with the Cuban national league at 17.

Should be on the Yankees within minutes.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:07 pm

Yep, saw that. Here's a link to another thread about it:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24940
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mightyian5 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:27 pm

geez.....just adding more names to an already HUGE free agent pool. free agency is getting more and more rediculous every year. sure its sort of exciting to see players move to our teams, but i realy just wish some people would just take less money and stick with a team for a career.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers