How do you convert projections to rankings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you convert projections to rankings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you convert projections to rankings?

Postby McCarroll21 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:22 pm

I have a spreadsheet of numerous projections for the 2007 season and made a composite sheet for all of the projections. Now I want to be able to provide a point system to the players so I can rank them based on these projections.

What type of formula should I use to arrive at this point total?

Thanks.
McCarroll21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 pm

I pull out all the players I expect to make a team and then take the standard deviation of each stat, then I seperate them by positions and take the standard deviation of their points based on position and add half of that to other point totals. Then I slightly modify the value of a few stats that I don't care about as much like ERA and AVG, they just aren't reliable enough to count fully.

Thats probably all too complicated and time consuming to do but I have a lot of free time at work so it works for me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RJ24VC15 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:44 pm

I got a formula from someone that I will be using for the first time this season.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Get last years stats for a few players and figure out the formula that ESPN used to come up with their year end rankings. Than use that formula with your projections.

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/Reques ... 1&Param4=0
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roninmedia » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I do the same exact thing as ESPN, just some basic standard deviation and z-scores or t-scores.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jfg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 pm

I do pretty much the same thing. I take the category and take the leader and subtract the player who's being compared. Just like adding fractions you'll have to come up with an amount in every category to multiply by to get every category as close to equal as possible. You have to do that with every position and your overall rankings. It's really simple to do with Excel and using functions. I like using the leader rather than the average because it doesn't change much and gives a better idea of how much better the elite players are from the almost elite. But, it doesn't change much at all.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Rankings

Postby bigjimblue » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 pm

I do essentially the same thing as the previous posts. But I do mine a little differently. I take each scoring category that we use and allow the top player in that category 100 points and I allow every other player so many points based on a percentage of the maximum 100 points. I can total the points for each player's ranking. Or I can keep them separate so as to target a player for a particular category.
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:30 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:I got a formula from someone that I will be using for the first time this season.

care to share it with us?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:14 am

mlb.com

Check the values off to the right near the bottom of the page. I plugged them in a spreadsheet with my projections and they gave me darn near what I would have expected to see. Only for 5x5. For other formats you're going to have to run std deviations.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:33 am

First I convert all of the ratio stats like era, whip, ave, k/9 etc... to counting stats. Then I use a replacement level value algorithm to give each player a value. That way you take position scarcity into account.

vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers