Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reyes

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm

I've been participating in a lot of mock drafts this winter and one thing that I'm having a hard time understanding is what is the obsession with Jose Reyes. He is usually gone within the first 5 picks and is ranked as high on most ranking sheets. In my mind drafting Reyes goes against the common practice of drafting a stud slugger or Johan for your first pick. I know Reyes gives you a ton of runs and SB's but that's really it. He hits for decent average but probably won't get to 20 HR's or more than 80 rbi's. So I'm just trying to figure out why he's being drafted in the first round instead of round 2 or 3. I value steals pretty low so maybe that's my problem. But I've yet to hear a good arguement of why he should be drafted in round 1.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dougbies » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:06 pm

i think he will score more runs and steal more bases than any NL player. That is enough of a reason. If you look at his complementary statistics, which are hr, rbi, and average, none of them will harm you.

I donk know about you, but if you told me any player that would lead the league in two statistics, i would put high value on them, weather it is steals and runs, or wins and whip.

He may be undervalued because so many people look for players that slug homers and, the run and sb statistic is so undervalued.
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RJ24VC15 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 pm

He can win steals for you in roto almost by himself, and with the Mets lineup he will score a ton of runs. He hits for a decent average, will hit a good amount of HR's for a SS, and again with the Mets lineup he will get a nice amount of RBI's.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:40 pm

If you value steals low than you probably won't hear an argument that appeases you.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:If you value steals low than you probably won't hear an argument that appeases you.

I agree with the views above. That is a good point about roto. I tend to play head to head leagues. But after a 2nd look maybe he's not so bad. I'm use to always going after the big HR guys first though.

On a separate subject relating to your picture of Cro Cop...I'm glad he gutted it out and fought Saturday night instead of pulling out of the fight. Dude I love that guy.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby pat1999 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm

really depends if roto or h2h, he is with out a doubt top 5 in roto but loses a little value in h2h. still not enough to bump him to the 2nd round. he is the only ss that help you in 5 cats while dominating 2, and producing near the top in the other 3 at his position.
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers