red sox fans, what is the best offseason move - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

red sox fans, what is the best offseason move

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotodog » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:36 am

Sox need to dump manny and replace him as best they can,Look what they did last year with others scraps(ortiz,millar,mueller).Next get a real stud pitcher.send Kim back to his cozy little playground in AZ in a deal involving curt schilling.You then sign LATROY.Without mannys contract,we have a reasonable replacement,a stud pitcher,and the best set up guy on the market.And a few bucks left over to contribute to a second baseman...Its simple! ;-7
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:48 am

I am 1 who applauds what the Sox did last offseason. Those were some great moves, especially within the budget. While I would agree that getting Manny out so that they have more $$ to play with is important, do you really think that those guys will produce exactly the same again? They stepped in sh*t with them and either asking them to do it again or signing more cheap guys and expecting them to do the same is asking a bit much, IMHO.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby PresHabib » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am 1 who applauds what the Sox did last offseason. Those were some great moves, especially within the budget. While I would agree that getting Manny out so that they have more $$ to play with is important, do you really think that those guys will produce exactly the same again? They stepped in sh*t with them and either asking them to do it again or signing more cheap guys and expecting them to do the same is asking a bit much, IMHO.

Well said. I don't think people understand that, though Millar, Ortiz, and Mueller are certainly talented and capable of putting up good years again, it is irrational to expect them to go find some more scraps and do the same thing. I mean, if they go get a guy like Todd Hollandsworth or Mark McLemore or guys like that, it would be foolish to expect them to do what our other "scraps" did. I don't know if those guys are available, but thats who I would have compared Millar and Mueller too before last season.

Anyway, the sox offense, whether they move Manny or not, is fine. They have a strong lineup all the way through (how often does a guy with 20 or 25 homers hit ninth all season?) They aren't extraordinaly slow on the bases and they've got personality. If any of them could bunt to save their lives it would be great but hey we can't have everything we want right? What they, like everybody needs, is pitching. If they can't get Colon, they need to snag people for the pen. They don't need a closer, Williamson will be just fine. I thought when they first got him that he should be their closer right away, and I'm glad he stepped up in the playoffs and others will remember him for it and consider him for the job. They can't rely on Timlin and Embree all season like they did in the playoffs though, and thats why a guy like Latroy Hawkins would be absolutely key for them. Another starter would be nice, but I really like this Bronson Arroyo kid and if they put him in the rotation they would have Pedro, Lowe, Wakefield, Arroyo and IF (BIG IF) Kim stays in Boston I want to see him in the rotation. That rotation would consist of guys they already have and I would be more than happy to see them parade those five guys all year long. So, yeah, again, that leads us to the conclusion that they need more arms for the pen, making Hawkins my number one guy.

And I know what you're thinking, Kim is already on Boston's sh%%list, but don't forget we booed Derek Lowe all the way up until last year too and look what hes done. Hopefully Kim can have an equally successful second chance.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:22 am

Here's what they are looking at for next year's offseason:

Derek Lowe - S - Boston Red Sox Nov 1

The Red Sox have told Scott Boras, the agent for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek, they will try to negotiate extensions of both their contracts, which expire at the end of next season.
It's not especially likely that either player will be re-signed. The Red Sox should wait until next year to deal with Lowe, as they'll have a better idea whether he's a $5 million-per-year pitcher or someone worth $8 million per season. Varitek is due $6.8 million next season and doesn't figure to want to take a pay cut in his next contract. With catcher Kelly Shoppach, one of the team's top prospects, likely to be ready in 2005, Varitek isn't someone who should be re-signed. Source: Boston Globe
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PresHabib » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:54 am

Madison wrote:Here's what they are looking at for next year's offseason:

Derek Lowe - S - Boston Red Sox Nov 1

The Red Sox have told Scott Boras, the agent for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek, they will try to negotiate extensions of both their contracts, which expire at the end of next season.
It's not especially likely that either player will be re-signed. The Red Sox should wait until next year to deal with Lowe, as they'll have a better idea whether he's a $5 million-per-year pitcher or someone worth $8 million per season. Varitek is due $6.8 million next season and doesn't figure to want to take a pay cut in his next contract. With catcher Kelly Shoppach, one of the team's top prospects, likely to be ready in 2005, Varitek isn't someone who should be re-signed. Source: Boston Globe

OH NO!!! I'd miss Varitek an awful, it would be hard to see anybody else back there besides him (as it is every fifth day when Mirabelli catches Wakefield) But I guess thats the risk you take when you fall in love with not just the team but its players. Whoever gets Varitek, consider yourself lucky! ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:26 am

PresHabib wrote: Whoever gets Varitek, consider yourself lucky! ;-D

Hopefully, fingers crossed, we will. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby mikcou » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:43 am

i agree with rotodog
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mightyian5 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:02 pm

with all the contract madness going on in boston over the next year or two, i think itll be very interesting to see how theo handles all of it. well see if they reshape, or keep the same guys around.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:53 pm

Most important move: find a way to get Mia to play on the East Coast... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikcou » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:05 pm

lol
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers