Nomar to the West, Pitching to Rangers, Arod to Sox???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar to the West, Pitching to Rangers, Arod to Sox????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:51 pm

With all the big-name FA's out there and trade talk involving A-Rod, Nomar and Manny on waivers, this is shaping up to be sooome kind of off-season.

Carefull kiddies, don't get burned by the Hot Stove...
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:58 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Arod isn't going anywhere. I just don't see it happening.

Here's a small point that no one has brought up yet concerning a rumored trade with Arod. The Rangers would not have a SS! 8-o I know, I know, a lot of you are saying just bring someone up from the minors. Well, there isn't anyone in the minors! The Rangers have not been paying attention to the SS position due to having Arod under contract. We don't even have a backup SS on the major league roster! We have a couple of guys that could probably do it if they had to, but not every day.

Just thought I'd point that out to everyone. :-)

I tend to take the other side. If I was running the Rangers, I would ask myself whether we can realistically contend within the next few years. Part of that includes who will be FA's and who is in the system. If I thought that we could, then I keep A-Rod. If I thought that we couldn't, then I try and trade him. The fact that there is no replacement SS wouldn't affect anything. You could get a stopgap or you could try to sign Tejada leaving you with lots of pitching (hopefully, from the A-Rod deal), a good replacement in Tejada, plus money saved to do other things.

I agree that it would certainly open up the money to get a solid pitching staff. Definitely 2, maybe 3 quality starters. ;-D I've never said it would be a bad move for the Rangers, but I really do doubt that Arod goes anywhere. It would take a very, very good offer.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:21 pm

Madison wrote:I agree that it would certainly open up the money to get a solid pitching staff. Definitely 2, maybe 3 quality starters. ;-D I've never said it would be a bad move for the Rangers, but I really do doubt that Arod goes anywhere. It would take a very, very good offer.

IMHO, the landscape of baseball has changed what the Rangers could expect to get back should they deal him. A big portion of the deal would be another team taking that (now) ridiculous contract. No doubt that he deserves to be the highest paid player but that is a lot of $$. If someone was expected to take on that contract, maybe they could now get away with giving them some young arms and calling it a day. I don't expect them to just give him away but, unless they get a high-priced guy (ie. Nomar) in return, it might be good for them to get some young arms and build with a staff while ridding themselves of $25 million per year.

Again, I am not saying that they should just give him away. I am just saying that the economics of the game might cause them to get a little less back in terms of players than they would have before.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:31 pm

I agree Lofunzo, just getting rid of the contract plus a couple of AAA arms would be nice. Unfortunately, the Rangers won't give up Arod for that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Greenrider » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:03 pm

Come to think of it, it's only natural that deals involving people like A-Rod, Manny, etc. will be made in a receeding baseball economy. It's like insurance in the real world - people will try to optimize by sharing their risk. It's dangerous and inefficient to have such a high percentage of your resources tied up in just one player (who can always end up being hurt, being a basketcase, etc.), but if you spread out the salary of these megastars among two or three teams, you can get a win-win situation for everyone. A multi-team deal involving Manny and A-Rod would make a lot of sense, but it remains to be seen if Epstein & co. can actually get it done, or if this is just absurd Post speculation.

Speaking of absurd speculation...dpes anyone with an ESPN Insider account know what their rumor section is saying about this, if anything?
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PresHabib » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:18 pm

Wow this is some ridiculously interesting stuff. I should get a subcription to the Journal or something while at school, one missed day could leave me WAY behind the times! I almost don't want to think about this stuff cuz I'm afraid I might hurt myself, lol.

Sounds like this is shaping up to be the highest-paced off season in a REAL long time, hope the cafe is ready for it! ;-D

As much as I don't like the prospect of trading Nomar...I trust Theo.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:16 pm

PresHabib wrote:As much as I don't like the prospect of trading Nomar...I trust Theo.

Famous last words? :-o Although I know that he doesn't have free reign to make moves as he pleases, I would also be careful to put 85 years of losing in the hands of a 20-something. Sharp kid but I wouldn't want to do it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:53 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
PresHabib wrote:As much as I don't like the prospect of trading Nomar...I trust Theo.

Famous last words? :-o Although I know that he doesn't have free reign to make moves as he pleases, I would also be careful to put 85 years of losing in the hands of a 20-something. Sharp kid but I wouldn't want to do it.

Hey, Cashman is pretty young, and he's done pretty well, wouldn't you say? Age has nothing to do with it. Look at Duquette. He destroyed our farm system, yet he had great experience in the business.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:05 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

85 years of losing, how much worse can it get? I say give the kid a shot.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:46 pm

PresHabib wrote:Losing Nomar would make me sad. Even if it means getting ARod, I would be lost without Nomar. Plus, it seems strange that if money was the driving force to put Manny on irrevocable waivers that their main objective in this plan is to sign a soon-to-be high paid free agent (Colon) and take on baseball's biggest contract (Arod). Something about this article doesn't add up for me.

What does Nomar have to say about any of this? Trans, do you think a deal sending Nomar away and bringing Arod in has any chance of happening?

no one is getting AROD. Why can't peolple see this.. If you make this guy your obsesion during the offseason, you will be disappointed
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers