Nomar to the West, Pitching to Rangers, Arod to Sox???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomar to the West, Pitching to Rangers, Arod to Sox????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomar to the West, Pitching to Rangers, Arod to Sox????

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:16 am

It's the Post, so beware....

FOR YANKS, RAMIREZ
NOT MANNY FOR JOB

By KEVIN KERNAN

UNWANTED:
According to sources, Yanks and Mets have no interest in claiming Bosox' Manny Ramirez, who'll make $20.5 million next season.

October 31, 2003 -- The Red Sox have more than dumping Manny Ramirez up their sleeve. The Yankees don't want any part of the slugger, who was put on irrevocable waivers Wednesday.
The key phase of the Red Sox's plan involves trying to swing a three-way trade that would land Alex Rodriguez, baseball's best player, in Fenway, according to Boston sources.

There is no way the Yankees will claim Ramirez on waivers, according to a club source, who said yesterday, "That isn't going to happen."

The Mets also have no interest in the outfielder who batted .325 this season with 37 home runs and 104 RBIs.

The deadline for any team to claim Ramirez off waivers is 1 p.m. today.

The Yankees have shown interest in A-Rod, but may be scared off by creating a conflict with shortstop Derek Jeter.

Jeter would have to switch to second base or third base, and that could cause a problem. However, Jeter repeatedly has said he always would do what is best for the Yankees, who are coming off a six-game World Series loss to the Marlins. Being paired with A-Rod would allow Jeter to score 140 runs, and A-Rod could knock in that many. They would become the ultimate Dynamic Duo.

If A-Rod winds up in a Boston uniform, that would go a long way to reversing the Curse.

Taking on the best player in baseball will not be easy, especially because he is still owed $154 million over seven years. That is why the Red Sox want to rid themselves of Ramirez's $101.5 million over the next five years.

To land A-Rod, according to sources, the Red Sox would send Nomar Garciaparra, who has one year left on his contract, to an unidentified third team as part of a three-way trade, most likely a West Coast club. The Rangers would acquire help in a number of ways, including pitcher Casey Fossum and pitching coming back from the team that lands Garciaparra.

The Red Sox are fed up with both Garciaparra and Ramirez. Even if they can't dump Ramirez on someone else, they at least can tell him, "See, we tried to get you to the Yankees, but even they didn't want you, so get your act together."

If all goes according to the Red Sox's plan, Bartolo Colon would wind up signing there as a free agent. It remains to be seen how the Red Sox can financially swing such a move and land A-Rod.

This space advocated the Yankees dealing for Colon a year ago; now the Yankees are trying to play catch-up. The Red Sox see an opening and are trying to make the most of it. They are driven to overtake the Yankees and play in the 2004 World Series.

A-Rod would love to land in two other places: with the Mets; or with the Cubs, who have the kind of pitching that will make them contenders for the life of his current contract.

The Mets whiffed on A-Rod before and appear to have no interest now, according to sources.

Ramirez's agent, Jeff Moorad, did not return calls yesterday. Yanks GM Brian Cashman also did not return calls.

George Steinbrenner was not heard from either, although he did release kind words through a spokesperson, saying the just-completed meeting between the Yankees' Tampa and New York families was a success.

We'll see how much of a success it is if the Red Sox come away with A-Rod and/or Colon.

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:54 am

Losing Nomar would make me sad. Even if it means getting ARod, I would be lost without Nomar. Plus, it seems strange that if money was the driving force to put Manny on irrevocable waivers that their main objective in this plan is to sign a soon-to-be high paid free agent (Colon) and take on baseball's biggest contract (Arod). Something about this article doesn't add up for me.

What does Nomar have to say about any of this? Trans, do you think a deal sending Nomar away and bringing Arod in has any chance of happening?
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:55 am

PresHabib wrote:Losing Nomar would make me sad. Even if it means getting ARod, I would be lost without Nomar. Plus, it seems strange that if money was the driving force to put Manny on irrevocable waivers that their main objective in this plan is to sign a soon-to-be high paid free agent (Colon) and take on baseball's biggest contract (Arod). Something about this article doesn't add up for me.

What does Nomar have to say about any of this? Trans, do you think a deal sending Nomar away and bringing Arod in has any chance of happening?

Nomar doesn't want to play for the Sox anymore, so I have no problem getting rid of him. However, I think the liklihood of a deal like this is very, very small.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PresHabib » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:10 pm

When did Nomar say he didn't want to play for the Sox? I've never heard him say such a thing. Is this recent?
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:17 pm

Well, he didn't say that exactly. Here you go:

"Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, who was born in Whittier and graduated from St. John Bosco High in Bellflower, has told friends he wants to relocate in Southern California after marrying Mia Hamm next month and would like to play for the Angels or Dodgers."
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:29 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Arod isn't going anywhere. I just don't see it happening.

Here's a small point that no one has brought up yet concerning a rumored trade with Arod. The Rangers would not have a SS! 8-o I know, I know, a lot of you are saying just bring someone up from the minors. Well, there isn't anyone in the minors! The Rangers have not been paying attention to the SS position due to having Arod under contract. We don't even have a backup SS on the major league roster! We have a couple of guys that could probably do it if they had to, but not every day.

Just thought I'd point that out to everyone. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:35 pm

Madison wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Arod isn't going anywhere. I just don't see it happening.

Here's a small point that no one has brought up yet concerning a rumored trade with Arod. The Rangers would not have a SS! 8-o I know, I know, a lot of you are saying just bring someone up from the minors. Well, there isn't anyone in the minors! The Rangers have not been paying attention to the SS position due to having Arod under contract. We don't even have a backup SS on the major league roster! We have a couple of guys that could probably do it if they had to, but not every day.

Well if Nomar goes to the Angels, pitching and David Eckstein (!!!!) could go to the Rangers. Problem solved. B-)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:43 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Madison wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Arod isn't going anywhere. I just don't see it happening.

Well if Nomar goes to the Angels, pitching and David Eckstein (!!!!) could go to the Rangers. Problem solved. B-)

Ummm.......I vote "NO!" :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:44 pm

I tend to take the other side. If I was running the Rangers, I would ask myself whether we can realistically contend within the next few years. Part of that includes who will be FA's and who is in the system. If I thought that we could, then I keep A-Rod. If I thought that we couldn't, then I try and trade him. The fact that there is no replacement SS wouldn't affect anything. You could get a stopgap or you could try to sign Tejada leaving you with lots of pitching (hopefully, from the A-Rod deal), a good replacement in Tejada, plus money saved to do other things.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:45 pm

Or perhaps it's a two-team deal, with the Rangers getting Nomar:

A-Rod to Boston?
Ditching Ramirez key to any Red Sox move
By T.R. Sullivan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/SHARON M. STEINMAN
The amount of money the Rangers would save over the final seven years of Rodriguez's contract, if he were traded this off-season.

ARLINGTON - The Boston Red Sox have placed Manny Ramirez on irrevocable waivers, starting a shake-up that could lead them to Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez.

Industry sources said if a team claims Ramirez by noon today, the Red Sox will be left with a number of options because of the financial flexibility created. One of them might be a proposal that would send Nomar Garciaparra and prospects to the Rangers for Rodriguez.

Rodriguez has a no-trade clause and would have to approve such a deal. But Rodriguez has always had a desire to play on the East Coast and, during the Rangers' trip to Boston earlier this year, spoke highly of the passion that surrounds the Red Sox.

Sources said the Rangers are not trying to trade Rodriguez but would listen to any proposal that would allow them to focus on their goals of getting younger and eventually building around pitching. Although the Red Sox and Rangers have been in contact, one source said the possibility of trading Rodriguez is "very premature."

Another source estimated the possibility of a trade being pulled off is about "20 percent." A deal is highly unlikely if Ramirez remains unclaimed. Sources also said the Rangers would never trade Rodriguez if they were forced to pick up any of his contract.

Rodriguez has seven years and $189 million remaining on his contract. He is scheduled to make $21 million in 2004, $25 million per season in 2005 and '06 and $27 million per season in 2007-2010.

Unless the Rangers are overwhelmed with an offer that would include at least two established players and two prospects, they are likely to stay focused on their more modest off-season goal of adding one starting pitcher, an outfielder and a reliever.

Rangers general manager John Hart and Rodriguez could not be reached for comment. Owner Tom Hicks declined comment.

Garciaparra has one year left on his contract and is scheduled to receive $11.5 million. If the Rangers acquired him for one year and did not re-sign him, they would free up a substantial amount of money to spend on pitching. They are expected to have interest in pitcher Kerry Wood if the Chicago Cubs don't sign him to a long-term extension this winter.

The Red Sox don't have young pitching to trade, but they do have three young minor league prospects who could be of interest to the Rangers. At the top of the list would be Double A catcher Kelly Shoppach, a Fort Worth native and Brewer High School graduate. Also of interest would be pitcher Jorge De La Rosa, shortstop Hanley Ramirez and third baseman Kevin Youkilis.

Garciaparra hit .301 for the Red Sox this year with 120 runs scored, 28 home runs and 105 runs batted in.

The Red Sox would have other options to consider should Ramirez be claimed.

One would be to pursue free agent outfielder Vladimir Guerrero. Another would be to pursue free agent pitching, a list that includes Kevin Millwood, Andy Pettitte and Bartolo Colon.

They could also use the money saved to sign Garciaparra, Pedro Martinez, Jason Varitek, Trot Nixon and/or Derek Lowe. All can be free agents after next season.

But making such moves depends on another team claiming Ramirez and his contract, which has five years and $101.5 million remaining, plus $1 million if he is traded. That may be difficult for a team to do. The most likely possibilities are the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles, two teams that could afford a hefty contract.

Several major-league officials said Thursday that they would be surprised if Ramirez is claimed. But it's also obvious that the Red Sox are intent on making some major moves this winter.

That usually stirs George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees, one of the few other clubs, major league officials said, that could take Rodriguez's contract in a trade. The Anaheim Angels are another.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers