Next big prospect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Next big prospect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Next big prospect

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:22 pm

Who are some guys that are still maybe a year or two away from making a mark in the league. Who will be the next set of Young, Gordon, Hughes, Bailey, Wood?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:40 pm

Here are a several guys few have heard of because they are so young, but may be very good:

Angel Villalona-3b
Engel Beltre-cf
Carlos Triunfel-ss

Are probably the best prospects from last summer's international signing period. They are all seventeen so they are are probably about 3-4 years away at the least. But they all have huge potenial.

If you want someone who has actually played rookieball, Elvis Andrus (ss, Braves), also is very toolsy and scouts think he is going to be great.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sliders51 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:32 am

How would you rate Beltre, Tirunfel, and Tejada?.....Not trying to take over the thread, just the first time I see these guys being mentioned so I want an opinion from someone that knows of them. I know villalona is the obvious #1
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 am

sliders51 wrote:How would you rate Beltre, Tirunfel, and Tejada?.....Not trying to take over the thread, just the first time I see these guys being mentioned so I want an opinion from someone that knows of them. I know villalona is the obvious #1

Yeah Vllanova is the number 1 right now (considering none of them have any pro innings or atbats).

Beltre would be number 2. he has all five tools and has huge upside.

Tirunfel is number 3. From what i have heard , some scouts love him, others hate him.

Tejada is 4. His best tool is his arm which, by the time he was 14, was as strong as an average big leaguer and BA rated as tops in the red sox system. He has the build of soriano and might one day have the same kind of power. He also has the potenial to hit for a high average. His speed is good but not great (maybe he moves to third, maybe not).

Montero, plays catcher for the yankees. Is already being considered a semi bust considering the money spent. He has great power potenial (80 out of 80, on the scouting scale) but some think the yankees wasted over 1.5 million on the kid.

Esmailyn Gonzalez- ss for the nats. is a slow runner, but still has great range at short and can make amazing plays at that position. He does not have much power.

This is my take from what i have read and heard about the top new latin American class. They will all most likely be in rookie ball this year (though some have a shot at low A), which is when we will be able to get a real take on how guy these kids really are. Right now all we have are what the teams are saying and what scouts have seen in instructional and DSL. This is supposed to be a strong class of players, but we will see how strong it is when they face other pro players for the first time. Right now we just don't have enough info (there is even confusion about Beltre's name, some say it is Engel others Angel).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Savoy Special » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:50 am

Back on topic:
Young studs a few years away
Travis Snider
Billy Rowell
Camerin Maybin
Justin Upton
Travis Buck
Fernando Martinez
Jose Tabata
Colby Rasmus
Lars Anderson

Pitchers
Clayton Kershaw
Deolis Guerra
Dellin Betances
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Archduke Chocula » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Savoy Special wrote:Back on topic:
Young studs a few years away
Travis Snider
Billy Rowell
Camerin Maybin
Justin Upton
Travis Buck
Fernando Martinez
Jose Tabata
Colby Rasmus
Lars Anderson

Pitchers
Clayton Kershaw
Deolis Guerra
Dellin Betances

Travis Buck could be up late this year. He's not in that same grouping as those really young guys.
Don't tase me, bro.
Archduke Chocula
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:27 pm

the next BEST sp (hughes- Bailey)

Easily:

Clayton Kershaw
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

not sure

Postby baseball authority » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Buck did not have as much success in winter ball as was expected and was actually shut down early. He needs to stay healthy and actually produce in order to continue to be considered. At the end of 2006 he was a sleeper becuase he had been injured, but the glitch in winter ball is another strike and kicks him down the list again till he gets something done.

Kershaw is a big name and he certainly has some potential, but he has pitched exactly 37 professional innings and he is not yet 19. Pitchers at that age and experience level are longshots to see success in the majors no matter what kind of numbers they have put up. Kershaw reminds me a bit of Greg Miller. Miller had about the same number of professional innings in his first season after being drafted, but Miller was 17. He was highly touted as a hard throwing, can't miss guy. Though Kershaw has a bit better command in his limited experience, he needs to complete a full pro season before I'd put him at the top of any prospect list.

I'd put Nick Adenhart and Will Inman in the group of the next best pitching prospects. Adenhart had Tommy John surgery in high school and could be ready to take a big step forward in 2007 two full seasons after the surgery. Inman is still very young, but he has some professional experience and has mastered A-ball at age 19.
www.thebaseballauthority.com
baseball authority
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:16 am

I think its weird Jay Bruce hasn't been mentioned. He's a stud.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:31 am

Havok1517 wrote:I think its weird Jay Bruce hasn't been mentioned. He's a stud.

agree..he'll be a stud ..in 2011
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball