Make Your Case: Matt Cain vs. Cole Hamels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make Your Case: Matt Cain vs. Cole Hamels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Make Your Case: Matt Cain vs. Cole Hamels

Postby Doughhead » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Which of these up-and-coming studs is a better bet for 2007?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Matt Cain - more experience, better mechanics, less injury concerns
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby krodisgreat » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Cole Hamels- Better K/9 will get more wins. He has so much potential, as he showed last season. His curveball is unbelievable.

This is from CBS Sportsline:
The Phillies found some pitching in the form of the long-time phenom who finally kicked his freak injury woes (he once broke his hand in a Bull Durham-like bar fight). The rookie was one of the best stories in a year of rookies and enters 2007 assured of a rotation spot for a potential contender with a solid lineup to back him. You have to stay cautious of Hamels' lightly tested arm, but if he can stay healthy for a full season in the big leagues, you might have a superstar Fantasy ace on your hands.
krodisgreat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby APAP » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Cole Hamels, one of my main reasons is that he is a stud LEFTY, which there is hardly any of.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm

Cain "should", if healthy, get 200+ innings this year.

Hamels will probably be taken a little slower this year because of his injured past and the lack of innings he has thrown the last few years. Less innings means less stats (W and SO totals) I'd expect 170-180 innings IF healthy.

I think they are both equally talented, but for this year I'm going to go with Cain because I know he is at a point where he can take on a decent work load (190+ IP the last 2 seasons) and to my knowledge hasn't had any significant injuries to worry about.

.... oh yeah, Cain has an easier division to deal with and a better home pitchers park!

Give me Cain in '07........ you'll have to get back to me in regards to '08 and beyond !+)

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:30 pm

DevilDriver wrote:Matt Cain - more experience, better mechanics, less injury concerns

I agree with this
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Pokey » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Obviously, both are studs.

Hamels is more talented, Cain is a safer bet to be healthy.

Personally I have Cain rated higher, but I wouldn't argue against someone taking Hamels first.

edit: FWIW I have Cain and Hamels 27th and 28th in my rankings. That's how close they are.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Area51's » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:49 pm

Pokey wrote:Obviously, both are studs.

Hamels is more talented, Cain is a safer bet to be healthy.

Personally I have Cain rated higher, but I wouldn't argue against someone taking Hamels first.

edit: FWIW I have Cain and Hamels 27th and 28th in my rankings. That's how close they are.

Agree with Hamels being more talented and having more upside. His biggest demon is health, while Cain's is probably control.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:02 am

Man, this is a close one. I have a feeling it would depend on the makeup of my team at that point and what I plan on doing the rest of the way out. I think Cain is the more "safe" pick, as other pointed out. I lean towards Hamels overall though. That 145 K in 132 IP last year is impressive. Even if Hamels only goes ~180 IP, that projects out to ~198 K. He's on a better team (in my opinion), and has more upside (again, in my opinion).

But, like I said, if I had already drafted, say, Ben Sheets, I would probably take Cain between the two to be a little safer. It's so close I think I would play it situationally.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mugrila » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 am

I'll take Hamels by a hair. I think that even though he won't log as many innings, he'll post better era/whip and a slightly better K/BB. (less K's though) W-L could be a wash, and has a lot of other factors involved.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers