OEM software question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

OEM software question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OEM software question

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Can you just buy MS Office and load it onto your PC?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Yes.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Tavish wrote:Yes.

Will it work like a normal as if you paid $300 for it? What is the difference?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 pm

i think OEM software is supposed to be tied to one machine whereas a retail copy can be installed a multiple machines. other than that they should be identical. OEM probably doesnt come with a manual.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:14 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think OEM software is supposed to be tied to one machine whereas a retail copy can be installed a multiple machines. other than that they should be identical. OEM probably doesnt come with a manual.

Thanks I just ordered 2003 Office for like 75 bucks. If it doesn't work, then I'll come looking for you...

j/k :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

I thought OEM was a designation specifically for hardware
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:28 am

Coppermine wrote:I thought OEM was a designation specifically for hardware

Negative. OEM software is software that is meant to be bundled with another purchase (e.g. a computer). You might get an OEM copy of Windows when you buy a new computer. Of course, eBay kind of looks the other way when it comes to this, so sellers need only claim in their listing that some piece of "non-peripheral" hardware will be included to satisfy the eBay requirements. Often, OEM software like Windows and others will note on the packaging that it may only be sold with a Dell (or HP, etc.) computer. This warning is generally ignored, of course.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Negative. OEM software is software that is meant to be bundled with another purchase (e.g. a computer). You might get an OEM copy of Windows when you buy a new computer. Of course, eBay kind of looks the other way when it comes to this, so sellers need only claim in their listing that some piece of "non-peripheral" hardware will be included to satisfy the eBay requirements. Often, OEM software like Windows and others will note on the packaging that it may only be sold with a Dell (or HP, etc.) computer. This warning is generally ignored, of course.

Gotcha; and you're right... i was hung up on the whole Original "Equipment" Manufacturer thing, but that does make sense.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:24 pm

Pedantic wrote:

So then why bother paying 3x the price of a software when you can buy an OEM software? Even if it craps out, it is cheaper to buy another OEM than the retail version.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

So then why bother paying 3x the price of a software when you can buy an OEM software? Even if it craps out, it is cheaper to buy another OEM than the retail version.

Where did you buy it from? OEM usually doesn't come with a manual and can usually only be installed on one PC (Unless you install it on two you dirty lawbreaker) :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk