Late-round sleeper SP's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Late-round sleeper SP's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MikeD22 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:06 pm

off the top of my head, here are a few of my favorite potential high reward pitchers

Patterson
S. Olsen
Sowers
A. Sanchez
Juan Cruz
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
Yoda wrote:If you are putting up Bailey, Hughes and Gallardo, then you most definitely need to put Lincecum, Miller, who are on a faster track to joining their big clubs.

Yup, those are also guys to tack onto the list. Do you happen to know if either of them (or Pelfrey, for that matter) is slated to be in the rotation to start the year (or has a chance of winning a spot in ST)?

I think Linc will start at AA, Miller at AAA. Both will probably need some fine tuning to start the season and then join the big team by July. Unless Linc is lights out in ST and all SF starters are sucking big time which is highly unlikely.

Any idea on whether a Benitez injury/trade would make the Giants do something crazy like bringing up Lincecum to close?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:42 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote:If you are putting up Bailey, Hughes and Gallardo, then you most definitely need to put Lincecum, Miller, who are on a faster track to joining their big clubs.

Yup, those are also guys to tack onto the list. Do you happen to know if either of them (or Pelfrey, for that matter) is slated to be in the rotation to start the year (or has a chance of winning a spot in ST)?

I think Linc will start at AA, Miller at AAA. Both will probably need some fine tuning to start the season and then join the big team by July. Unless Linc is lights out in ST and all SF starters are sucking big time which is highly unlikely.

Any idea on whether a Benitez injury/trade would make the Giants do something crazy like bringing up Lincecum to close?

Everything I've read has said that they want Lincecum to start.

Given their recent handling of prospect starters: Foppert, Lowry, J.Williams, Cain, etc. I wouldn't bet against them to bring him up right away if he looks good.

My personal opinion that he will be starting for SF by June/July. Definitely the top rookie I am targeting at my draft this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Given their recent handling of prospect starters: Foppert, Lowry, J.Williams, Cain, etc. I wouldn't bet against them to bring him up right away if he looks good.

My personal opinion that he will be starting for SF by June/July. Definitely the top rookie I am targeting at my draft this year.

Thanks! I traded up to get him in our prospect draft...a guy with that smooth of mechanics, that deceptive of a delivery and that good of stuff has a really good chance at succeeding right out of the gate. My favorite part of his delivery is the amount of time he keeps his hip loaded before delivering the ball. My wife doesn't even watch baseball that much and that was the first thing she noticed when I showed her the video. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Thanks! I traded up to get him in our prospect draft...a guy with that smooth of mechanics, that deceptive of a delivery and that good of stuff has a really good chance at succeeding right out of the gate. My favorite part of his delivery is the amount of time he keeps his hip loaded before delivering the ball. My wife doesn't even watch baseball that much and that was the first thing she noticed when I showed her the video. :)

He is extremely flexible. He looks like he doesn't waste an ounce of energy through his wind up and delivery. And his dad has been coaching him since he started pitching so I feel pretty confident that he will stay healthy as a starter contrary to what a lot of people are saying about his size.

He has incredible stuff and numbers to match it everywhere he's pitched. Unless something freakish happens, I can't see how he won't be successful.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 123inningplz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Ok, trying not to repeat people here. Besides the usual suspects, here are my suggestions.

Good bets:
Tom Gorzelanny
Javier Vazquez

Worth kicking the tires:
Kip Wells
Scott Baker
123inningplz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokeyjoe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:36 pm

Gustavo Chacin is one guy I like.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swyck » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:13 pm

gostanford07 wrote:Here's a pretty good list already goin.

A TON of people here seem to be high on Olsen and I see no reason not to. Some other enticing names from that list include Burnett, Snell, A. Reyes, Escobar, Vazuez, etc. Worth a look.

None of those are late round picks, including Olsen.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:09 pm

Okay, lets go deep...

Angel Guzman, CHC (was once one of the top prospects in baseball before injuries took their toll. He could surprise if healthy and gets a chance).

Gavin Floyd & John Danks, CHW (both have a chance as the #5 starter for the Sox)

Zack Greinke, KC http://www.rotoauthority.com/2007/02/sl ... ert_z.html

Jason Vargas NYM (was a sleeper flop last year but he's a lefty on the Mets and they have a thin rotation)

Joe Kennedy OAK (moves to rotation, good stuff, good park, decent team)

Edinson Volquez & Thomas Diamond, TEX (both should likely earn a rotation spot sometime over Tejada & Koronka in 2007m maybe during ST)

Hayden Penn, BAL (the bad luck can't last forever, he's got great stuff)

These are the only ones I'm allowed to give out right now. lol
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby TheHumdingerDynasty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Last summer Tristan Cockroft had an interesting article about young pitchers and their numbers through a certain amount of starts. Basically the overall performance of the pitchers increases significantly after about their 40th start.

Targeting guys who will reach that plateau this year is an effective tool. Last year it landed me Chein Ming Wang and Ervin Santana for $11 and $9 in an AL keeper league.

Here's a look at the chart he used. 70 games is another big plateau, but part of that is because a lot of the crappy pitchers don't make it to 70 starts.

TheHumdingerDynasty
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers