how bout Jeremy Sowers????
in his last 10 starts, here are some stats---
he gave up more than 3 runs once(4)
and went 6-1 over that span.
2 CG SHO
pitched 65 2/3 innings
era of 2.34
only gave up 3 hr

his k #'s are not great but he can give quality starts.he was shut down early and will be starting this year. Any thoughts on him???
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 pm

I'd say anyone with an injury risk is the best bet in late rounds. I'd rather take a guy who might get hurt but has the ability to be a top 20 pitcher than a guy who might make the rotation and has the potential to be a top 40 pitcher. Then, when that player gets hurt drop him like he was just a sleeper that didn't pan out and pick up a potential guy.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Oliver Perez
James Shields
Joe Saunders
Jeremy Sowers
Boof Bonser
Lowry
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 am

I like the Hampton suggestion earlier in this thread. I think he'll be underrated coming into this year but not coming out.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gostanford07 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 am

Here's a pretty good list already goin.

A TON of people here seem to be high on Olsen and I see no reason not to. Some other enticing names from that list include Burnett, Snell, A. Reyes, Escobar, Vazuez, etc. Worth a look.
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:46 am

Some great suggestions here. ;-D I'd totally forgotten about Lowry, who's a bit of a wild card at this point but is definitely worth a pick at the end of the draft if he's still around.

Texan wrote:John Patterson.. coming off injury but he had a great season the year before. Actually, I havent heard anything about his injury so I dont know if he'll be ready for the season opener or not.

Patterson is healthy and ready to start the season (for now, at least...). I actually like him a lot as a sleeper for this year - the only reason I didn't list him is because I see him as being taken more towards the middle rounds than the late rounds.

Yoda wrote:If you are putting up Bailey, Hughes and Gallardo, then you most definitely need to put Lincecum, Miller, who are on a faster track to joining their big clubs.

Yup, those are also guys to tack onto the list. Do you happen to know if either of them (or Pelfrey, for that matter) is slated to be in the rotation to start the year (or has a chance of winning a spot in ST)?
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:48 am

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
Yoda wrote:If you are putting up Bailey, Hughes and Gallardo, then you most definitely need to put Lincecum, Miller, who are on a faster track to joining their big clubs.

Yup, those are also guys to tack onto the list. Do you happen to know if either of them (or Pelfrey, for that matter) is slated to be in the rotation to start the year (or has a chance of winning a spot in ST)?

I think Linc will start at AA, Miller at AAA. Both will probably need some fine tuning to start the season and then join the big team by July. Unless Linc is lights out in ST and all SF starters are sucking big time which is highly unlikely.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugrila » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 am

I refuse to have Oliver Perez on my team.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:51 am

gostanford07 wrote:Here's a pretty good list already goin.

A TON of people here seem to be high on Olsen and I see no reason not to. Some other enticing names from that list include Burnett, Snell, A. Reyes, Escobar, Vazuez, etc. Worth a look.

I'd seen that list, which was actually what made me think of making this one. (That list was more geared towards the mid-round pitchers who are a good bet to be solid and have the potential to break out as elite guys, whereas here I'm looking for guys to grab near the very end of the draft who could end up being pretty valuable despite costing almost nothing on draft day.)

I do like Vazquez a lot, though, as a guy who could sneak into the very late rounds in some drafts and who I think is definitely a good bet to rebound for 2006 and end up decently valuable.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby looptid » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:09 am

I'm still high on Garza. A lot of people soured when his debut in the majors wasn't too hot, but it was his fourth level of professional baseball that season (having started in High-A with stops in Double-A and Triple-A). The back three spots in the Twins rotation are up for grabs, and I would be surprised if Garza didn't land one of them.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers