Late-round sleeper SP's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Late-round sleeper SP's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Late-round sleeper SP's

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this - if there is, I apologize. I've seen various sleeper threads and sleeper SP threads, but what I'm curious about is people's thoughts on guys who will be around in the very late rounds. Last year, I remember liking Verlander and Scott Baker as guys who fit this description. (Obviously, Verlander panned out very well...Baker, not so much.) This kind of list could also include the kind of guys who might not quite be worth drafting but are worth keeping an eye on because of their potential.

This year, I'm having some trouble thinking of guys who fit this kind of mold who I feel confident about. There are some great young pitchers who showed signs of dominance last year (Hamels, Cain, Hill, Felix, Weaver, etc.), as well as some less flashy but similarly enticing pitchers (Bush, etc.), but all of those guys will be taken in the middle rounds of the draft. Here's a list I have so far of later-round guys who I think could end up being pretty solid:

- Freddy Garcia (although he'll probably have to be taken several rounds before the end of the draft)
- Wainwright (if he's even starting...though he's far from a sure thing, as relief success doesn't necessarily translate to starting success)
- Boof Bonser
- Bartolo Colon (see Garcia)

And here's a list of some guys who probably aren't worth drafting in re-draft leagues but are worth keeping an eye on:
- Gallardo
- Bailey
- Hughes
- Pelfrey
- Oliver Perez (I guess the upside is still there, though there's not really much sign for encouragement)
- Anthony Reyes
- Scott Baker (take two)
- Matt Garza
- Clay Hensley (he'll probably be drafted, but I just have a hard time getting excited with his mediocre K/9 and K/BB)
- Anibal Sanchez (see Hensley)

There are clearly some guys worth keeping an eye on who could be called up at some point in the year (Gallardo, Bailey, Hughes, etc.), but in terms of guys who should be in the rotation to start the year, I can't really think of anyone to get excited about. I do think Garcia could be solid, but he'll likely go a bit earlier than the last few rounds of the draft. I like Wainwright the most of these guys, I think, though he's obviously far from a sure thing. Bonser was fine last year, but I have a hard time getting too excited about him.

So does anyone have any thoughts about very-late-round pitchers who could end up being pretty valuable?
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KDOGG » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:38 pm

Tom Gorzelanny ;-D
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:40 pm

shhhh.....Wade Miller
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm

If you are putting up Bailey, Hughes and Gallardo, then you most definitely need to put Lincecum, Miller, who are on a faster track to joining their big clubs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dcskater619 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Oliver Perez, Adam Loewen, Ted Lilly, James Shields
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 pm

I just seen Duke, Lowry, Hampton, Lester,

Igawa, Kei taken in rounds 21-24 in my recent 14 team mock draft. There is alot of value in pitchers late in the draft.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheOmen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:54 pm

I like Freddy Garcia moving to the NL with a high scoring offense.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby glcmustliveon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

J. Santana..... shhhh.....

Anyway, Id look for Joe Saunders, this guy gave up two runs or less in 9/13 starts!, caveat, he gave up 27 in his other four. He has good not great stuff, and who knows if big bart can stay healthy. he won't carry you, but an ERA around 4 with some k's and decent WHIP in the late rounds, you could do worse...

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Texan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm

John Patterson.. coming off injury but he had a great season the year before. Actually, I havent heard anything about his injury so I dont know if he'll be ready for the season opener or not.
Texan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't know your league size but I will use mine as an example. 12 Team with a 21 man roster = 254 players so last couple of rounds would be anyone past #230. According to CBS top 300 (without commenting on their top 300) here are some pitchers that they have ranked lower than 230:

Garland
Contreras
Blanton
Vazquez
Josh Johnson
Sanchez
Cabrera
Colon
McCarthy
Prior
Olsen
Escobar

I bet 2-3 of those pitchers produce like top 30 pitchers or better. The trick is to pick the ones that will produce good numbers.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers