Roto + H2H in same league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Roto + H2H in same league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto + H2H in same league?

Postby commence8 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:20 am

I commish a weighted categories-based 16-team H2H league on Sportsline. We have weekly lineup changes.

However, because of the Sportsline sortable stats it's not too hard to run a roto league at the same time.

Has anybody used one league to play H2H and roto with the same team on the same league? I think it would be kind of interesting to try to win a H2H and roto championship at the same time.
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:53 am

We have a 12 team 5x5 league which is also h2h and use sportsline for this.

The league is divided into 2 division and each week you play h2h against another team and the team winning the most categories out of 10 wins for that week. We have several tiebreakers which are usually needed throughout the year but not as often as you'd think.

We then have a playoff system for the division winners and 4 wildcard teams during weeks 23-25 (world series is week 25)

We reward for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for roto pts as well as the world series winner. I love this system and can't imagine not having a h2h system.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby commence8 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:18 pm

Hey, this is some great info, thanks!

Your league seems to be run the same kind of way I'd like to run the one I'm in.

FYI, my 16-team league also takes 50% of the teams to the playoffs. 4 divisions of 4, top 2 in each division are in.

However, we only have regular season to week 20, then each playoff round is 2 weeks long. Why don't you guys use week 26?
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tms298 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 pm

I tried to describe this last year but apparently I didn't get my point across. The thread is here
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

I thought it was a neat idea.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby commence8 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:33 am

Kind of funny, the main reason I left Yahoo! after the 2003 season was because of their total lack of stat tracking.

I used to keep track of stats along with power rankings, opponent power, etc with a program I wrote that automatically posted to this website:

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~dmd33/

In essence, I was doing a H2H league on Yahoo! while also playing rotisserie on the side. Actually at the time, I never heard of rotisserie, I thought I invented this unique way of looking at the stats... :*)

Anyway, the page above proves that you can do a H2H and ROTO league on Yahoo!. I guess because now Yahoo! actually keeps track of stats on their end it's even easier.

This afternoon, I copy-pasted the sortable stats that Sportsline gives you and did some excel calculations to see who would have won my league for the 2006 season if it was rotisserie instead of H2H...I only calculated hitting b/c my lunch break was ending, but pitching is just as easy.

Link to the chart in htm:
http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~dmd33/Baseball/roto.htm

Link to the excel chart:
http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~dmd33/Baseball/roto.xls

I hope this can spark some interest...no more arguing about which is better (H2H or ROTO), instead do them BOTH!! (with a little help from excel, of course)

Feel free to modify my excel file, I posted it for the community.
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am

Buddy,

Your thoughts are exactly as we have been running our league for three years. TQ Stats used to allow us, but we received an email last week that stated that they woudl no longer be providing the service. Have you located a website that does both roto and H2H, or are you still using your program.

We hand out prize money for a Roto Top Three and a H2H Top Three. In our hearts, the H2H is the real deal and gets the league championship, but this mixed format really keeps everyone playing. Roto reflects the best overall team, but the H2H playoffs are often won by a lower ranked team that gets hot in the end. We have 14 teams, and no one ever gives up until the last week.

Love this idea. And if you have more info, let me know. We are in desperate need of a web service as TQ Stats just dropped this on us.

Ideas from the whole Cafe are accepted.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby commence8 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm

If you use Sportsline, the sortable stats can give you year-to-date fantasy stats of each team.

I then just copy-paste the chart and place it into my excel file which is already set up to calculate the rotisserie stats.

If you want further information, just let me know in PM or something.
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner