How do Sportsline FAAB blind bids work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How do Sportsline FAAB blind bids work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do Sportsline FAAB blind bids work?

Postby stevelabny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:39 am

I run a 12 (or more) team roto 5x5 mixed league thats been running for almost 10 years.

We have always had the commissioner do all the work of free agents, waivers, and trades.

I already know that we will have to tweak certain rules if we let Sportsline run the free agent transactions, but I have one important question.

Does Sportsline allow backup choices? Can you choose to go after a 2nd player if you lose your bid (either before or after the bid is lost? )

The one thing I don't want to change in the league is the weekly transactions, so if there isn't some sort of backup procedure, that would majorly suck.

Can anyone walk me through it?
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 342
Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BROOKLYN!

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:35 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to test it pre-season, but the auction doesn't seem to be running yet, so I'm guessing we can't actually use it until the season starts.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 796
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cy33 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:42 pm

It is a little odd. We did it for Football and I assume it wrks the same way.

You can bid $5 on Thome drop sheffield
bid $4 on Johnson drop Shef

If you get the 1st one and shef is no longer on your roster then the next is void.

All in all I would not recommend using it. One week they didn't process any transactions and if hurt our league big time...
cy
Image
cy33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 556
Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:34 pm

cy33 wrote:It is a little odd. We did it for Football and I assume it wrks the same way.

You can bid $5 on Thome drop sheffield
bid $4 on Johnson drop Shef

If you get the 1st one and shef is no longer on your roster then the next is void.

All in all I would not recommend using it. One week they didn't process any transactions and if hurt our league big time...


Yeah for the last 4-5 weeks of our football league with the Thursday games the bids didn't get processed. So for those weeks we had to call everyone to get their bids and put them thru ourselves.

The way you bid on mutlipe people is to bid on different people and keep the same player to drop. Hope that helps.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 848
Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CT Smash » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:59 pm

As commissioner, you can select which day you want the site to process the bids (Sat night/Sun night, etc.)

As the others stated, you can have back-up choices by making sure you drop the same player for each back-up choice. A nice feature is that if you change your mind about your order of preference, you can easily move your choice up or down within your queue.
CT Smash
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 151
Joined: 4 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cy33 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:09 pm

CT Smash wrote:As commissioner, you can select which day you want the site to process the bids (Sat night/Sun night, etc.)

As the others stated, you can have back-up choices by making sure you drop the same player for each back-up choice. A nice feature is that if you change your mind about your order of preference, you can easily move your choice up or down within your queue.


I was the commish and had it for wednesday. One week it just didn't process transactions...

I like the feature, but if the purpose is to reduce the work for the commish, don't bother. It will create more headaches.
cy
Image
cy33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 556
Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 pm

dmendro wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to test it pre-season, but the auction doesn't seem to be running yet, so I'm guessing we can't actually use it until the season starts.


The front page now has a link telling me I can turn on the FAAB auction system... so you should be able to test it now. I hope it will let us test it out... would be a good way to see if we want to go for it this year.

Another random FAAB note: I wasn't sure what would happen if you won a bid outright... would you automatically go to the bottom of the bid priority tiebreaker list? I got a response from CBS saying no... the only time you fall to the bottom of the priority list is if there is a tiebreaker scenario - this is true even when there are zero dollar bids.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck


Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact