Is a Baseball Prospectus subscription worth it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is a Baseball Prospectus subscription worth it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is a Baseball Prospectus subscription worth it?

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:55 pm

It is like 40.00 bucks for everything or 20.00 for the fantasy stuff. I would really like to take a look at those Pecota cards. I won my league last year and had subscriptions to nothing but this year I feel that I want to learn more.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:35 am

I really like it. It lays everything out on a page with several ways of evaluating players, complete with charts, stats, and projections. I would definitely say it's at least worth a look.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby looptid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 am

The extra $20 isn't going to give you anything fantasy specific. Also keep in mind that save for the blog they've just launched, BP doesn't focus much on breaking news, but rather on more detailed analysis.

Personally, I really enjoy Christina Kharl's Transaction Analysis column, Will Carroll's Under the Knife column, and the Prospectus Triple Play columns especially.

I think a full subscription is worth it, but I spend more money on baseball books and websites than I probably should.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 am

Unless you're poor, I think the $40 is totally worth it if you're a big baseball fan. I'm not even a stat junkie and I really enjoy my subscription.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby kingmike74 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks guys, I will check into it. I did find a link and I am enjoying the 2007 PECOTA cards for free, is this an error on their part or am I getting a free trial or something.

Heres the link. Why is this free to me?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:40 am

If you actually really enjoy baseball for more than just fantasy, , especially the statistical side of the game, I'd say its worth it for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:26 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Thanks guys, I will check into it. I did find a link and I am enjoying the 2007 PECOTA cards for free, is this an error on their part or am I getting a free trial or something.

Heres the link. Why is this free to me?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/

I don't think there is an error, or at least not for me. Every year they show the Pecota Cards for the World Champion, therefore you are able to see the Cards for the Cardinals. You are able to access every player's career stats, but not the projections.

As for subscribing, I think it is definitely worth it. They have great articles all year long.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:34 pm

looptid wrote:The extra $20 isn't going to give you anything fantasy specific. Also keep in mind that save for the blog they've just launched, BP doesn't focus much on breaking news, but rather on more detailed analysis.

Personally, I really enjoy Christina Kharl's Transaction Analysis column, Will Carroll's Under the Knife column, and the Prospectus Triple Play columns especially.

I think a full subscription is worth it, but I spend more money on baseball books and websites than I probably should.

Yes, this is the only website worth subscribing to. Carroll's column is one of the best and Goldstein is pretty decent with prospects. BP is not fantasy specific but I found that what you find there in terms of statistics is more helpful than Yahoo or ESPN type services for fantasy baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Strictly for fantasy stats it's only worth doing the $20. As was mentioned earlier they don't focus on breaking news. However their articles are outstanding and really expand your knowledge of the game, both from a fantasy perspective and just in general. It's well worth the $40 to me but it really depends if you have the time to read all of the articles. Otherwise PECOTA and the PFM is well worth the $20 fantasy subscription.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby suckerpuncher » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 pm

If I take the $20 subscription do I also get acces to the "PECOTA Weighted Means Spreadsheet" because on the site it says something about BP premium account password.
So I'm a bit confused and hopefully someone can clear things up for me.
suckerpuncher
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers