Who are the best 2B prospects? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who are the best 2B prospects?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kiloman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Blake DeWitt, if he completes the move from 3B, has enormous upside; although scouts would like to see his performance start to match his rep a bit more.

I also like Elliot Johnson from TB; very underrated.

Tony Abreu isn't "sexy", but has been solid.
kiloman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 123inningplz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:
thedude wrote:I was thinking on this. There aren't any very good second base prospects. I don't have a single one in my top 45. If you draft one you probably aren't going to be getting much value for your pick and might be better off drafting a high upside shortstop (Elvis Andrus comes to mind, Oscar Tejada is interesting if you have a deep farm system). Or a guy that will be moved to second (Chris Nelson? Cliff Pennington?)

I agree. 2B is definitely the weakest position in the minor leagues.

Only because of all the talent that came up last year. Kinsler, Barfield, Kendrick, and Theriot all losing prospect eligibility takes a big bite out of the 2B minor league pool. Actually, last year was pretty atypical as far as prospects coming up and making an impact.
123inningplz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm

123inningplz wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:
thedude wrote:I was thinking on this. There aren't any very good second base prospects. I don't have a single one in my top 45. If you draft one you probably aren't going to be getting much value for your pick and might be better off drafting a high upside shortstop (Elvis Andrus comes to mind, Oscar Tejada is interesting if you have a deep farm system). Or a guy that will be moved to second (Chris Nelson? Cliff Pennington?)

Only because of all the talent that came up last year. Kinsler, Barfield, Kendrick, and Theriot all losing prospect eligibility takes a big bite out of the 2B minor league pool. Actually, last year was pretty atypical as far as prospects coming up and making an impact.

Even so, Kinsler and Barfield might have been top 50 prospects but shouldn't have been rated higher than 40. I had both in the 50s. Kendrick was definitely a top 50 but Theriot was no where near that.

There were as many, if not more, upper tier prospect catchers and first basemen than second basemen.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:
123inningplz wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:

Even so, Kinsler and Barfield might have been top 50 prospects but shouldn't have been rated higher than 40. I had both in the 50s. Kendrick was definitely a top 50 but Theriot was no where near that.

There were as many, if not more, upper tier prospect catchers and first basemen than second basemen.

Well i think part of the reason for there being less bluechip secondbase prospects is that many of the guys who end up playing second in the minors start off at shortstop (Soriano for example)
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 pm

One guy who is a bit old, but could have a Josh Willingham-like impact (at 2B) is Brooks Conrad. He appears major league ready. The main knock on him is that he has little upside, since he is 26. He appears ready to hit for a decent average with double digit home runs and steals right now.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:27 am

Evan Longoria

He will play second for the Rays and will hit over 20 HR and will be a great bat at that position
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Evan Longoria

He will play second for the Rays and will hit over 20 HR and will be a great bat at that position

Isn't he pencilled in as the Ray's thirdbaseman of the future?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby tvv44 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 am

What about Marcus Sanders from the Dodgers? Doesn't he still play 2B?
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

What about Johnson?

Postby Jihan1 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:29 am

Kelly Johnson looks to be Atlanta's new 2B. Any love for him?
Jihan1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:33 am

thedude wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Evan Longoria

Isn't he pencilled in as the Ray's thirdbaseman of the future?

Not with Iwamura there
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball