Who are the best 2B prospects? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who are the best 2B prospects?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who are the best 2B prospects?

Postby jonance » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to draft a 2B in a prospect draft...who are the best around and how long do you think before they see the majors? Also anyone who might move to 2B...what do you think about Brignac? Any help is appreciated...thanks

John
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball authority » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:09 pm

Alexi Casilla, MIN and Eric Patterson, CHC are two names to keep in mind right now as both could be in the majors late in 2007 and solid contributors in 2008. Patterson is like his brother Corey in that he is not all that selective but he has some pop for 2B (maybe similar to Brian Roberts with a lower BA).

Casilla is almost a clone of the Twins current 2B, Luis Castillo, though Casilla has better speed and the potential to be a regular 25+ SB guy.

Farther down the list is Eric Young Jr who stole 87 bases in A-ball last season and seems to have a good eye and a bit of pop. This is a big year in his development as he should move to AA and if he has success there, he becomes a much more legitimate option as there is a need at 2B in Colorado.

There is always Dustin Pedroia, but I'm assuming you already know about him as he seems to be the guy the Red Sox are going to give their 2B job to. He just has to do enough to hold on to it, but he is not going to be a big contributor from a fantasy standpoint as he lacks either speed or power.

Of those that may move, Brent Lillibridge is an intriguing guy. The Braves got him from the Pirates in the Adam LaRoche deal and they have an opening at 2B right now. Lillibridge has some developing to do, but it will be interesting to see how quickly that happens this season and where the Braves deploy him (both level and position).

Brignac is a tough call. The thinking is mixed on him as to whether he can play SS on the ML level. There are a lot of scouts who feel he'll be ok and some that think he needs to move. Though the Rays have Zobrist there right now, he is a stopgap, so it seems that Brignac will have a season of AAA to see if he can get the job done. That would seem to say that he won't switch this season anyway.

Two others to watch are Mark Reynolds and Jeff Natale. Reynolds showed pretty nice power across a couple of levels in the D-Backs organization and the key will be whether he can sustain that in 2007. Natale is in the Boston system and, though he was pretty old for A+ last season he did show tremendous plate discipline and some good power. He has a chance to move fast if he can sustain that performance at upper levels and if Pedroia is as vanilla it seems he will be.
www.thebaseballauthority.com
baseball authority
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

2B Prospects

Postby bigjimblue » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Don't forget an appropriately named second bagger for the Dodgers, Travis Denker.
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby thedude » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 pm

Alberto Callaspo- Never strikes out and hits for a nice average.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby baseball authority » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 am

Denker was a big name last season as he put up nice power numbers in A-ball. The luster has somewhat gone off his star after his promotion in the second half of last season led to just a .220 average and just 5 HR in 190 or so AB at high-A Vero Beach, which is generally regarded as a hitter-friendly environment. It isn't as if he was ahead of the curve or anything as he was 21 last season so he has to reprove himself at the level this season before he gets another mention.

Callaspo does have some really nice plate discipline, but no big power or speed numbers and, more importantly, no place to play with the Diamondbacks. They are set at 2B and SS for the forseeable future and they have enough young OF that a move there will not help. He looks right now like a future utility player and nothing more.
baseball authority
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:05 pm

what about Corey Wimberly of the Rockies? I've heard question marks about his defense but he does hit for a consistently good average and has some pretty good speed. And Coors is like heaven for gap hitters.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball authority » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Wimberley does have some nice SB numbers and a good batting eye to go with his solid average, but the big knock on him is his age vs level. He spent 2006 in A+ at age 22 for the whole season so you'd expect him to outperform the norm as a result. He is already 23 and has not seen AA. In order for him to move up my list he'd have to start out strong at AA and see AAA and at least a bit of success there as well in 2007.
baseball authority
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:06 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:what about Corey Wimberly of the Rockies? I've heard question marks about his defense but he does hit for a consistently good average and has some pretty good speed. And Coors is like heaven for gap hitters.

He gets a lot of Chone Figgins comparisons, he is fast (he has 80 speed, which is the best on the 20-80 scouting scale). is slightly below average defender at second, the Rockies may give his some time at third and center to try to turn him into a super-utility guy (like Figgins). He has no power, but makes contact and uses his speed.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:35 pm

I was thinking on this. There aren't any very good second base prospects. I don't have a single one in my top 45. If you draft one you probably aren't going to be getting much value for your pick and might be better off drafting a high upside shortstop (Elvis Andrus comes to mind, Oscar Tejada is interesting if you have a deep farm system). Or a guy that will be moved to second (Chris Nelson? Cliff Pennington?)
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Koby Schellenger » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm

thedude wrote:I was thinking on this. There aren't any very good second base prospects. I don't have a single one in my top 45. If you draft one you probably aren't going to be getting much value for your pick and might be better off drafting a high upside shortstop (Elvis Andrus comes to mind, Oscar Tejada is interesting if you have a deep farm system). Or a guy that will be moved to second (Chris Nelson? Cliff Pennington?)

I agree. 2B is definitely the weakest position in the minor leagues.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball