How would YOU play it? (Poker) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:42 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
J35J wrote:So did we ever decide to get a cafe group together to play poker online? I thought I saw a thread about it a couple months ago but don't know what ever happened to the idea.

I've been playing poker for a few years mostly all live and in person with a dozen friends but just started to get into the online poker a little bit. (PokerStars)

Anyway, if we all can get an account at PokerStars then we can set up some tourny's between all of us and play once ever couple weeks or something?

Any thoughts?

Jason

yeah, its very hard to get money in and out of pokerstars now. i recently just signed up to ultimate bet. deposited using my visa, no problem...i tried to for weeks/months to get a group together and play and people just didnt show support.
Last edited by Snakes Gould on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Madison wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
RyanK wrote:Aces get cracked... espically when I hold them... it happens...

Just means you're playing them wrong. Every once in awhile you'll run into a two pair after the flop, but other than that you can get the draws out of the pot with decent ease, or at least get good money on your overwhelming odds. I know people who will limp with aces to not give away the strength of their hand, but that's not the right way to play them. Aces won't be worse than a 4:1 favorite pre-flop against any other poker hand heads-up, so even if a large pre-flop bet only nets one caller, you're a near-lock to not only win, but you're going to be winning after the flop unless your opponent gets a great flop, which is unlikely.

Suckouts still happen. 80/20 is great, but hardly a lock. Even 95/5 suckouts happen occasionally, and everyone remembers bad beats. It's easy to forget how many times your solid hand holds up when it's supposed to, bad beats stick out like sore thumbs. ;-)

Yeah, 80/20 is great, but betting right will get you better than 80/20. Still, saying that he has aces cracked all the time means he's clearly not seeing 80/20 or anything close to those.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RyanK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
J35J wrote:So did we ever decide to get a cafe group together to play poker online? I thought I saw a thread about it a couple months ago but don't know what ever happened to the idea.

I've been playing poker for a few years mostly all live and in person with a dozen friends but just started to get into the online poker a little bit. (PokerStars)

Anyway, if we all can get an account at PokerStars then we can set up some tourny's between all of us and play once ever couple weeks or something?

Any thoughts?

Jason

yeah, its very hard to get money in and out of pokerstars now. i recently just signed up to ultimate bet. deposited using my visa, no problem...i tried to for weeks/months to get a group together and play and people just didnt show support.

Full Tilt still is running strong.. they have a new deposit method, myatm, I havent looked into it yet, Im using epassporte now since neteller went down

If you make a FT account use 123signup as your signup code when you make your name ;-D
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 pm

Whats wrong with just using your Visa Debit Card to deposit??

I've never really done online gambling before so I really have no idea the best way to go about it all??

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:37 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Madison wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Just means you're playing them wrong. Every once in awhile you'll run into a two pair after the flop, but other than that you can get the draws out of the pot with decent ease, or at least get good money on your overwhelming odds. I know people who will limp with aces to not give away the strength of their hand, but that's not the right way to play them. Aces won't be worse than a 4:1 favorite pre-flop against any other poker hand heads-up, so even if a large pre-flop bet only nets one caller, you're a near-lock to not only win, but you're going to be winning after the flop unless your opponent gets a great flop, which is unlikely.

Suckouts still happen. 80/20 is great, but hardly a lock. Even 95/5 suckouts happen occasionally, and everyone remembers bad beats. It's easy to forget how many times your solid hand holds up when it's supposed to, bad beats stick out like sore thumbs. ;-)

Yeah, 80/20 is great, but betting right will get you better than 80/20. Still, saying that he has aces cracked all the time means he's clearly not seeing 80/20 or anything close to those.

Someone saying they get aces cracked all the time is someone who simply remembers the bad beats, but easily forgets when they hold up. I was that way for awhile. Seemed like my aces always wound up cracked, even moreso playing online. I picked up some tracking software that gave me a billion details about my online play and found my pocked aces to be holding up right around the percentage they should over the long haul. Also showed me how much money I was bleeding by playing from the small blind, so I fixed that and the software more than paid for itself right there. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:14 pm

Madison wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Madison wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Someone saying they get aces cracked all the time is someone who simply remembers the bad beats, but easily forgets when they hold up. I was that way for awhile. Seemed like my aces always wound up cracked, even moreso playing online. I picked up some tracking software that gave me a billion details about my online play and found my pocked aces to be holding up right around the percentage they should over the long haul. Also showed me how much money I was bleeding by playing from the small blind, so I fixed that and the software more than paid for itself right there. B-)

Position is the best part of poker
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Aces are ridiculously hard to fold, especially when there arent 2 K's,Q's, J's, or 10's on the board.

That being said, sometimes laying down a hand like that can save you a ton of money. High reward, but even higher risk, laying those down is probably the right move.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:35 am

J35J wrote:Whats wrong with just using your Visa Debit Card to deposit??

I've never really done online gambling before so I really have no idea the best way to go about it all??

Jason

most debit cards get rejected because the banks arent supposed to allow gambling transactions.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk