How would YOU play it? (Poker) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:45 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:You played it right but to be honest why does everyone complain so much when they lose to a lucky hand in poker?

The best poker players do what you least expect them to do no matter what cards you have.

This guy i play against complains all thetime when I beat him like this. He says stuff like I was lucky? You shouldnt have played that hand? Riverrat!

I am like whatever......I mean last time I checked there wasnt a guidline on rules you have to follow in poker when it came to strategies.

I wasn't complaining, just asking if anyone could have gotten away from the hand. There is a huge difference.

I disagree...this is a bad beat story in disguise.

Unless you have a phenomenal read on a guy, nobody dumps AA in your situation (and I think you know that).

Given your re-raise preflop, odds are you would've come out betting if checked to, so if he has 44 or 66 that majority of people are going to check-call or check-raise. His all-in just screamed QQ or KK.

Bad beat story...pay us a dollar.

I don't disguise my bad beat stories, I just come out and say they are bad beat stories. So...no. But nice try.

I'm not saying it was intentional, but it was a bad beat story and nothing more than that. 56o beat AA....you were unlucky....I see almost zero decision making analysis that can be taken from this hand, unless you're playing at an incredibly high level of competition.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:40 pm

mak1277 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:You played it right but to be honest why does everyone complain so much when they lose to a lucky hand in poker?

The best poker players do what you least expect them to do no matter what cards you have.

This guy i play against complains all thetime when I beat him like this. He says stuff like I was lucky? You shouldnt have played that hand? Riverrat!

I am like whatever......I mean last time I checked there wasnt a guidline on rules you have to follow in poker when it came to strategies.

I wasn't complaining, just asking if anyone could have gotten away from the hand. There is a huge difference.

I disagree...this is a bad beat story in disguise.

Unless you have a phenomenal read on a guy, nobody dumps AA in your situation (and I think you know that).

Given your re-raise preflop, odds are you would've come out betting if checked to, so if he has 44 or 66 that majority of people are going to check-call or check-raise. His all-in just screamed QQ or KK.

Bad beat story...pay us a dollar.

I don't disguise my bad beat stories, I just come out and say they are bad beat stories. So...no. But nice try.

I'm not saying it was intentional, but it was a bad beat story and nothing more than that. 56o beat AA....you were unlucky....I see almost zero decision making analysis that can be taken from this hand, unless you're playing at an incredibly high level of competition.

If you truly believe that regardless of any other factors, that you should always call with AA in that situation, I'd love to play with you.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:00 pm

i dont think he means ANY situation, just the one you mentioned...a raise of 20x the BB usually means someone is playing a strong hand, and in this situation i dont think you could put anyone on 6x or 44, its just too hard. i dont think theres any conceivable way you can fold AA in your situation.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Aces get cracked... espically when I hold them... it happens...

Im starting to hate poker though, actually thats a lie... i just need to stop running the pot/setting up games because it keeps me playing much more than I should be and keeps me re buying when I shouldnt be.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby daullaz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:17 am

I don't know if I would have called in that situation. It would definitely depend on what I know about the guy and how the rest of the night has gone.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:48 am

RyanK wrote:Aces get cracked... espically when I hold them... it happens...

Just means you're playing them wrong. Every once in awhile you'll run into a two pair after the flop, but other than that you can get the draws out of the pot with decent ease, or at least get good money on your overwhelming odds. I know people who will limp with aces to not give away the strength of their hand, but that's not the right way to play them. Aces won't be worse than a 4:1 favorite pre-flop against any other poker hand heads-up, so even if a large pre-flop bet only nets one caller, you're a near-lock to not only win, but you're going to be winning after the flop unless your opponent gets a great flop, which is unlikely.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RyanK » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:22 pm

davidmarver wrote:

Just means you're playing them wrong. Every once in awhile you'll run into a two pair after the flop, but other than that you can get the draws out of the pot with decent ease, or at least get good money on your overwhelming odds. I know people who will limp with aces to not give away the strength of their hand, but that's not the right way to play them. Aces won't be worse than a 4:1 favorite pre-flop against any other poker hand heads-up, so even if a large pre-flop bet only nets one caller, you're a near-lock to not only win, but you're going to be winning after the flop unless your opponent gets a great flop, which is unlikely.

I know when to lay down aces... and I do, though I really dont get them often, I like to limp if i get them UTG or right after.. The kids I play with there will be a raise at least 90% of the time, and well be 4-6 handed on everyflop, sometimes more, a solid 5 dollar raise means for everyone to call. Out pots get out of control, and lately ive been on the wrong side of them by getting sucked out.

I take some horrible beats.. thats my rap here at school, go all in against me youll suck out, but I just shrug and let it go, ive gotten use to it and know eventually (hopefully soon) my hands start holding up when im putting my money in with the best hand.

One of my more recent aces being cracked cases was when we were playing 3 handed in a 50 dollar tourney, about 7 or 8 kids to start.. i get aces, I raise, get re raised, i come over the top again then this guy just flat pushes, he didnt think i was too strong and thought he could win the pot.. he has 95... he flops a boat

Im starting to get back into playing online (dont know if thats a good or bad thing right now)
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby J35J » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:35 pm

So did we ever decide to get a cafe group together to play poker online? I thought I saw a thread about it a couple months ago but don't know what ever happened to the idea.

I've been playing poker for a few years mostly all live and in person with a dozen friends but just started to get into the online poker a little bit. (PokerStars)

Anyway, if we all can get an account at PokerStars then we can set up some tourny's between all of us and play once ever couple weeks or something?

Any thoughts?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 pm

J35J wrote:So did we ever decide to get a cafe group together to play poker online? I thought I saw a thread about it a couple months ago but don't know what ever happened to the idea.

I've been playing poker for a few years mostly all live and in person with a dozen friends but just started to get into the online poker a little bit. (PokerStars)

Anyway, if we all can get an account at PokerStars then we can set up some tourny's between all of us and play once ever couple weeks or something?

Any thoughts?

Jason

It's been tried in the past, with moderate success.

However, with the US ban on Online Gaming, the chances of getting anything going are slim and none.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:02 pm

davidmarver wrote:

Suckouts still happen. 80/20 is great, but hardly a lock. Even 95/5 suckouts happen occasionally, and everyone remembers bad beats. It's easy to forget how many times your solid hand holds up when it's supposed to, bad beats stick out like sore thumbs. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk