How would YOU play it? (Poker) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:23 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:You played it right but to be honest why does everyone complain so much when they lose to a lucky hand in poker?

The best poker players do what you least expect them to do no matter what cards you have.

This guy i play against complains all thetime when I beat him like this. He says stuff like I was lucky? You shouldnt have played that hand? Riverrat!

I am like whatever......I mean last time I checked there wasnt a guidline on rules you have to follow in poker when it came to strategies.

I wasn't complaining, just asking if anyone could have gotten away from the hand. There is a huge difference.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:31 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:You played it right but to be honest why does everyone complain so much when they lose to a lucky hand in poker?

The best poker players do what you least expect them to do no matter what cards you have.

This guy i play against complains all thetime when I beat him like this. He says stuff like I was lucky? You shouldnt have played that hand? Riverrat!

I am like whatever......I mean last time I checked there wasnt a guidline on rules you have to follow in poker when it came to strategies.

I wasnt directing this to you. i was using it as a general observation. I still think you made the right call and the % is that you had your competitor on te right hands. He just got luck
I wasn't complaining, just asking if anyone could have gotten away from the hand. There is a huge difference.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:28 pm

pokerplaya wrote:

You should never be "stuck" on a hand or "fall in love" with it. Any had (barring the nuts of course - which in this case was 6/6, not A/A) should be able to be folded. Had you picked up a tell on the guy, knew he played little connectors, or just had that "gut" instinct you were toast, I could see a fold in that spot as any hand can be folded.

Now the question is would someone have folded. Based on the info you gave, I doubt very many people would have laid it down. I know I would have played it the same way you did, based on the info given of course, but everyone is a bit different when it comes to reading an opponent.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:35 pm

no one in the world would fold that hand in that situation.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:58 pm

It's tough to say what you should have done without knowing your opponent's tendencies. The two 6s would have set off some alarm bells for me. But, you played it right with your pocket aces. I've lost with more pocket aces than anything else though. It's weird.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:55 pm

I've been playing with him for a while now, so we all know each other very well. We constantly have to at least try to mix it up, to keep each other off balance.

As far as my gut goes, I felt like he had one of 4 or 5 hands. I really though that the 3 most likely holdings were either QQ or JJ and he was trying to bully to take down the pot and protect his pocket pair. The other hand I figured he very well could have had was trip sixes, which he did have. The other two holdings I could see him pushing with would be KK or a massive draw (OESD, flush draw, or both) as he often pushes with his draws.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:18 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I've been playing with him for a while now, so we all know each other very well. We constantly have to at least try to mix it up, to keep each other off balance.

As far as my gut goes, I felt like he had one of 4 or 5 hands. I really though that the 3 most likely holdings were either QQ or JJ and he was trying to bully to take down the pot and protect his pocket pair. The other hand I figured he very well could have had was trip sixes, which he did have. The other two holdings I could see him pushing with would be KK or a massive draw (OESD, flush draw, or both) as he often pushes with his draws.

In home games I try to talk a lot to the person and see if I can draw it out of him. Sometimes it works. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:15 pm

there is no way in the world that he isnt a moron...$5 when the blinds are .10/.25? i know there is no right or wrong way to play but come on...him calling that much will ALWAYS catch up to him...you didnt play it wrong at all...i love the big raise preflop as well..

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby mak1277 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 am

pokerplaya wrote:

I disagree...this is a bad beat story in disguise.

Unless you have a phenomenal read on a guy, nobody dumps AA in your situation (and I think you know that).

Given your re-raise preflop, odds are you would've come out betting if checked to, so if he has 44 or 66 that majority of people are going to check-call or check-raise. His all-in just screamed QQ or KK.

Bad beat story...pay us a dollar.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:53 pm

mak1277 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

I disagree...this is a bad beat story in disguise.

Unless you have a phenomenal read on a guy, nobody dumps AA in your situation (and I think you know that).

Given your re-raise preflop, odds are you would've come out betting if checked to, so if he has 44 or 66 that majority of people are going to check-call or check-raise. His all-in just screamed QQ or KK.

Bad beat story...pay us a dollar.

I don't disguise my bad beat stories, I just come out and say they are bad beat stories. So...no. But nice try.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk