How would YOU play it? (Poker) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Here's the situation:

5 handed home game. $20 buy in, .10/.25 blinds.

The player UTG raises to 1.25. I am next to act, and I find myself with pocket AA. Knowing this table very well, I know that I have to raise here, and raise big, because they will call the 1.25 to try and catch a flop and outplay the rest of the table post flop. I make a big raise, to $5.00. I am signaling supreme strength, especially since my image at the table is that of a very TAG player.

Next player to act folds, but the small blind calls the 5.00. The BB folds. The original raiser is a very loose/passive player. He is a calling station, but it is rare that he would raise UTG with a marginal holding. He will call a raise with anything, but to lead out UTG will signal strength from him. Considering his preflop raise, I assume he is holding a PP from 10's-A's, and I know he will call without any second thought if he was indeed holding any of those hands. Not suprisingly, he calls. There is 15.25 in the pot, and we go the flop with 3 players.

The flop comes out 6-6-4. The first player, without hesitation moves all in. Considering he was sitting on $40 preflop, this was a peculiar move. He more than doubled the pot. Knowing the player very well, I put him on AA/KK/QQ/JJ/1010 when he raised UTG preflop. However, after the flop, he would make that move with a large spectrum of hands. I could see him making that move with any PP 10-AA, a flush draw, an OESD, pocket 44's, pocket 66's, 64, or 6x.

Considering his raise from UTG, and then his call of $4 more (although he is known to call raises with many different hands) I thought he probably had a PP 10-AA. He would make that move with a variety of hands, but I didn't see him raising from first position without a premium holding.

Obviously this massive overbet was a cunning move, because even if he is holding less than AA, he can get me off the hand. People make moves on me like this all the time, knowing that they could get me to fold a hand like AK, QQ, JJ, 1010 very easily. Knowing all this, and despite the horrible overbet of the pot, I thought I was going to be ahead against most holdings, so I made the call with AA. He had 35 left in front of him, and I had worked my stack up to around 50. The last player to act ended up mucking his 1010.

He flips over 56o, and scoops the enormous pot. Now, my main problem with my play is that I ended up risking 35 for a gain of 15. But knowing what I knew about this player and his tendancy to call raises with marginal hands, but usually only open with quality holdings, I elected to call anyway. I also knew that he recognized me as a tight player, and has made moves on me in the past and gotten me off better hands. Obviously, he mixed up his play well opening with a 56 off under the gun, and then calling the raise hoping to hit big. EV+? I doubt it, but it certainly worked in this situation.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:41 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Here's the situation:

The player UTG raises to 1.25. I am next to act, and I find myself with pocket AA. Knowing this table very well, I know that I have to raise here, and raise big, because they will call the 1.25 to try and catch a flop and outplay the rest of the table post flop. I make a big raise, to $5.00. I am signaling supreme strength, especially since my image at the table is that of a very TAG player.

Next player to act folds, but the small blind calls the 5.00. The BB folds. The original raiser is a very loose/passive player. He is a calling station, but it is rare that he would raise UTG with a marginal holding. He will call a raise with anything, but to lead out UTG will signal strength from him. Considering his preflop raise, I assume he is holding a PP from 10's-A's, and I know he will call without any second thought if he was indeed holding any of those hands. Not suprisingly, he calls. There is 15.25 in the pot, and we go the flop with 3 players.

The flop comes out 6-6-4. The first player, without hesitation moves all in. Considering he was sitting on $40 preflop, this was a peculiar move. He more than doubled the pot. Knowing the player very well, I put him on AA/KK/QQ/JJ/1010 when he raised UTG preflop. However, after the flop, he would make that move with a large spectrum of hands. I could see him making that move with any PP 10-AA, a flush draw, an OESD, pocket 44's, pocket 66's, 64, or 6x.

Considering his raise from UTG, and then his call of $4 more (although he is known to call raises with many different hands) I thought he probably had a PP 10-AA. He would make that move with a variety of hands, but I didn't see him raising from first position without a premium holding.

Obviously this massive overbet was a cunning move, because even if he is holding less than AA, he can get me off the hand. People make moves on me like this all the time, knowing that they could get me to fold a hand like AK, QQ, JJ, 1010 very easily. Knowing all this, and despite the horrible overbet of the pot, I thought I was going to be ahead against most holdings, so I made the call with AA. He had 35 left in front of him, and I had worked my stack up to around 50. The last player to act ended up mucking his 1010.

He flips over 56o, and scoops the enormous pot. Now, my main problem with my play is that I ended up risking 35 for a gain of 15. But knowing what I knew about this player and his tendancy to call raises with marginal hands, but usually only open with quality holdings, I elected to call anyway. I also knew that he recognized me as a tight player, and has made moves on me in the past and gotten me off better hands. Obviously, he mixed up his play well opening with a 56 off under the gun, and then calling the raise hoping to hit big. EV+? I doubt it, but it certainly worked in this situation.

youre friends an idiot and he got paid off. it's nice that youre taking it so well though.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: How would YOU play it? (Poker)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:52 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Here's the situation:

youre friends an idiot and he got paid off. it's nice that youre taking it so well though.

Yeah, he's not the greatest in the world but he's a good guy. I can't get pissed, he's not arrogant about it at all and knows he got lucky. But I just can't tell if he or I am the fool in this situation. Did I get unlucky and then make matters much worse by calling? Or did I have no choice...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby BGbootha » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:59 pm

you played it right, he got lucky.

If he is as aware as you are about table images, his thought may have been the same thing. he could have easily have thought prehand to make a move on the next hand. He got 56os he raises 5xBB OTG. Not saying that I would have done this. But by the time it gets back to him he is looking at risking an aditional 3.50 for a pot that is about 12.25 (he is getting about 4-1 on his money)

Now I would lay this hand down in a heartbeat with 5-6os, but you can't really discount his reasoning post OTG bet. He makes the call hoping to either hit the flop, or have the flop miss everyone. If the flop hits no one and looks ugly. He has position and could take down the pot with a big bet.

In the end, you played it right (meaning you played it how I would have played it), and he got lucky.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 am

seeing how aggressive the two players across the table from him were acting, im suprised he didn't allow you two to bet at the pot first.

then again he was probably a bit flustered when that flop nailed him. :-D
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby APAP » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:27 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:seeing how aggressive the two players across the table from him were acting, im suprised he didn't allow you two to bet at the pot first.

then again he was probably a bit flustered when that flop nailed him. :-D

:-b Sooo lucky
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 am

Not too unusual for a player with a tight image to throw a curveball. I've had to start doing it more and more as I seem to be running into quite a few of the same players (they know me and the way I play) when I happen to be able to make some time for poker nowadays.

Anyway, he made a move and got lucky. I'd have probably played it the exact same way figuring the flop missed him and he had J/J or Q/Q and was trying to protect it. Happens occasionally. You file that info away (that he will toss a curveball out there once in awhile) and use it later. I'd also suggest studying him a bit better and see if you can pick up any tells or reads. Most players have at least one or two. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:41 am

Do you have a tell when you have pockets? I found out I have a tell of how i put my chips in when I have high cards.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:26 am

He got lucky calling that with 5-6. Eventually, it'll catch up to him.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:23 pm

You played it right but to be honest why does everyone complain so much when they lose to a lucky hand in poker?

The best poker players do what you least expect them to do no matter what cards you have.

This guy i play against complains all thetime when I beat him like this. He says stuff like I was lucky? You shouldnt have played that hand? Riverrat!

I am like whatever......I mean last time I checked there wasnt a guidline on rules you have to follow in poker when it came to strategies.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk