God Of War 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

God Of War 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 pm

I've beaten FFXII, it took me 95 hours from the point I started to the point I beat the final boss. That wasn't a straight run through, I picked up some uber weapons, as well as did like 3/4's of the hunts, but only one elite one.

If you are looking for something to take up time FFXII is easily your fix, if FFX gave you 200 hours of gameplay then FFXIII might give you 400+, but I'm assuming you meant 200 hours with multiple playthroughs, because I've beaten FFX four times and the longest I ever put into one playthrough was 80-90 hours I believe, that's getting all ultima weapons, and aeons, but not stat maxing.

Anyways to complete FFXII 100% I think it is between 120-150 hours, and the final hunt, not boss but hunt, will take you multiple hours to defeat.

I hope I didn't type anything you didn't want to see, I tried to be as spoiler free as I could.

I'm actually about 40 hours into my second playthrough of FFXII, this time I'm planning on getting as close to 100% as I feel I can, without surrendering by ability to do other things.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:29 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:I've beaten FFXII, it took me 95 hours from the point I started to the point I beat the final boss. That wasn't a straight run through, I picked up some uber weapons, as well as did like 3/4's of the hunts, but only one elite one.

If you are looking for something to take up time FFXII is easily your fix, if FFX gave you 200 hours of gameplay then FFXIII might give you 400+, but I'm assuming you meant 200 hours with multiple playthroughs, because I've beaten FFX four times and the longest I ever put into one playthrough was 80-90 hours I believe, that's getting all ultima weapons, and aeons, but not stat maxing.

Anyways to complete FFXII 100% I think it is between 120-150 hours, and the final hunt, not boss but hunt, will take you multiple hours to defeat.

I hope I didn't type anything you didn't want to see, I tried to be as spoiler free as I could.

I'm actually about 40 hours into my second playthrough of FFXII, this time I'm planning on getting as close to 100% as I feel I can, without surrendering by ability to do other things.

It's cool, nothing there is giving anything away really. If I can milk this game until the PS3 develops it's library, or at least GoW3 comes out, and the console has a price drop or two, I'll be quite pleased.

I was actually referring to only my final playthrough, I had nearly 215 hours on that. With all the playthroughs combined I probably got close to 400.

But stat maxing took up a BIG chunk of that time on that final game, and the bulk of that time was devoted to finding the clear spheres to blast the +1 and +2 spheres off the grid and replacing them with the +4 spheres, which also took some time to gather. Getting the actual levels was easy with the weapons I created (3x overdrive + 3x AP + overdrive->AP), I could get all characters to level 99 within 30 minutes. I actually figured out the leveling up trick on my own, but I did look at a guide to find the best locations to get the spheres I needed.

The only thing I never actually did in FFX was the lightning dodging to get Lulu's ultimate weapon, I made something that was better anyway.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 am

Dodging that lightning sucked.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby ThatDude » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Continuing the derailment of my own thread.....

I finally got around to starting FFXII a few days ago. Good stuff so far, though I still really haven't gotten the whole license thing sorted out the way I would like. It seems like weapons/armor/accessories are more important than actually leveling up, which is different.

Right now, I'm standing outside the Tomb of Rockwall (or whatever it is), having got my ass handed to me three times by that big ol bird.

I figure I've got to backtrack now and either get some better weapons or better magic. so I've got all that running backwards to look forward to.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 am

Big tip, augments are the first thing to go after on the liscense board, and yes weapons and armor have a huge say in how powerful you are, so much so that you can go through the game vastly underleveled as long as you know the right ways to set your gambits and ways to get the best stuff available at the time.

Another hint, the bird you are fighting can become much easier if you kill the turtle thing the Yensa needed help killing then return back to the Nam-Yensa, or whatever the zone you came from was. Going back the Yensa provide you with a berry that will knock off like 1/3 of the birds help from the start. Though when I played through the game I beat the bird without the berries, so it's certainly possible without it and leveling is never a bad idea.

One last tip, after completing the Raithwall scenes, go to the South Bank village and complete a series of requests for a lady their to gain fire arrows.

Fire arrows are 2 attack with fire element which is powerful at the time seing as the arrows you can get before that I believe are only 1 attack. Also if Fran or someone knows "oil" set a gambit like this

Attack oiled enemys
Cast oil on nearest visible enemy

Doing that will have you cast oil first, but as soon as it's casted they will stop casting it and begin to attack it with the fire arrows, leading to BIG TIME damage.

EDIT: Oil is also an AOE(area of effect) spell meaning it can hit more than one enemy which is really nice.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:05 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Big tip, augments are the first thing to go after on the liscense board, and yes weapons and armor have a huge say in how powerful you are, so much so that you can go through the game vastly underleveled as long as you know the right ways to set your gambits and ways to get the best stuff available at the time.

By augments, you mean the stuff like HP +50, stuff in that neighborhood of the board?

I guess I need to get on that. I'm overleveled right now, and these bosses are always giving me a workout.

I've got somewhere between 200 and 500 LP just sitting around for every character because A) I'm not sure where to spend it, and B) when an awesome new weapon lands in my lap, I want to have the ability to power it up right away.

Like I just got the Blood Sword from the bazaar, and it took me more LP than it really should have to find the square I needed to to power it up.

Speaking of the bazaar shops, I have a feeling that what becomes available has to do with what you sell, and there's probably some kind of method to it that I don't yet know.

Probably something like 3 of Item-A plus 2 of Item-B plus 4 of Item-C will make New Item-X available to buy. But I have no desire to dig any deeper on the exact workings of that right now, I might peek at a list before starting my second game, or I might not.

Another hint, the bird you are fighting can become much easier if you kill the turtle thing the Yensa needed help killing then return back to the Nam-Yensa, or whatever the zone you came from was. Going back the Yensa provide you with a berry that will knock off like 1/3 of the birds help from the start. Though when I played through the game I beat the bird without the berries, so it's certainly possible without it and leveling is never a bad idea.

Turtle thing? Berry? You lost me there.

Anyway, I did beat him. It came to me during a commercial during the Daily Show. I thought, 'That bird was awfully bright, I wonder how it would respond to some dark magic.' So I tried it, and after a little gambit-tinkering, success.

The optional wall kicked my tail 5-6 times before I decided to just run from it, and then after a couple of tries I got past the other wall.

I just died on Ifrit, (I don't know if that it's name, but you know who I'm talking about), and I hadn't saved my game in a while, so I have to do one whole side of that area to get back to him again.

So I'm taking a break for a little while. Maybe I'll go do that fire arrows thing you are talking about, though I can't imagine they will do any good against the Ifrit-like fella.

One last tip, after completing the Raithwall scenes, go to the South Bank village and complete a series of requests for a lady their to gain fire arrows.

Fire arrows are 2 attack with fire element which is powerful at the time seing as the arrows you can get before that I believe are only 1 attack. Also if Fran or someone knows "oil" set a gambit like this

Attack oiled enemys

Doing that will have you cast oil first, but as soon as it's casted they will stop casting it and begin to attack it with the fire arrows, leading to BIG TIME damage.

EDIT: Oil is also an AOE(area of effect) spell meaning it can hit more than one enemy which is really nice.

I still haven't completely wrapped my head around this gambit thing, but that's why I usually play FF games twice before consulting guides or walkthroughs. It can take a full game sometimes to get accustomed to all the little tricks you can pull off, (like the weapon customizing in FFX.) It's all about experimenting, so on my second game I can start getting nasty with fools on my own before looking for the best tricks.

Alot of times on that second game I find that what I did the first time through was just plain stupid. But I also find that once I look at the guides, I see that what I was doing that second time was textbook, and I found it on my own. Gives me that warm feeling down in the cockles of my heart, and in the sub-cockles too.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:13 am

ThatDude wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Big tip, augments are the first thing to go after on the liscense board, and yes weapons and armor have a huge say in how powerful you are, so much so that you can go through the game vastly underleveled as long as you know the right ways to set your gambits and ways to get the best stuff available at the time.

By augments, you mean the stuff like HP +50, stuff in that neighborhood of the board?

I guess I need to get on that. I'm overleveled right now, and these bosses are always giving me a workout.

I've got somewhere between 200 and 500 LP just sitting around for every character because A) I'm not sure where to spend it, and B) when an awesome new weapon lands in my lap, I want to have the ability to power it up right away.

Like I just got the Blood Sword from the bazaar, and it took me more LP than it really should have to find the square I needed to to power it up.

Speaking of the bazaar shops, I have a feeling that what becomes available has to do with what you sell, and there's probably some kind of method to it that I don't yet know.

Probably something like 3 of Item-A plus 2 of Item-B plus 4 of Item-C will make New Item-X available to buy. But I have no desire to dig any deeper on the exact workings of that right now, I might peek at a list before starting my second game, or I might not.

Turtle thing? Berry? You lost me there.

Anyway, I did beat him. It came to me during a commercial during the Daily Show. I thought, 'That bird was awfully bright, I wonder how it would respond to some dark magic.' So I tried it, and after a little gambit-tinkering, success.

The optional wall kicked my tail 5-6 times before I decided to just run from it, and then after a couple of tries I got past the other wall.

I just died on Ifrit, (I don't know if that it's name, but you know who I'm talking about), and I hadn't saved my game in a while, so I have to do one whole side of that area to get back to him again.

So I'm taking a break for a little while. Maybe I'll go do that fire arrows thing you are talking about, though I can't imagine they will do any good against the Ifrit-like fella.

Attack oiled enemys

I still haven't completely wrapped my head around this gambit thing, but that's why I usually play FF games twice before consulting guides or walkthroughs. It can take a full game sometimes to get accustomed to all the little tricks you can pull off, (like the weapon customizing in FFX.) It's all about experimenting, so on my second game I can start getting nasty with fools on my own before looking for the best tricks.

Alot of times on that second game I find that what I did the first time through was just plain stupid. But I also find that once I look at the guides, I see that what I was doing that second time was textbook, and I found it on my own. Gives me that warm feeling down in the cockles of my heart, and in the sub-cockles too.

yeah, augments are like the +HP, Sheild Block, etc...

also, unlike previous FF games spells like Blind, Haste, Slow etc actually seem to have an effect

one tip is to make one character a "tank" like in MMORPG's...early on if you give someone a sheild, main gauhce (a special dagger with +25 evade) and some of the blocking augments they can be hard to hit. there's also a spell Decoy that will cause enimies to only attack the decoy

from my experience the weapons seem to overpower the damage magics, i usually only use them when fighting 4-5 enemies at a time. the buff spells i'll use alot though

i never had much of an issue being underleveled, but usually anytime i got to a new area i'd fully explore it before moving on, as well as doing the hunts as they come up

...and yeah, you are right about the Bazaar being a combo of items...i usually just sell whatever i get as i get it, but i did find out that if say, you need 4 of item A for a recipie, you sold 3 the first time and 8 the next time that it resets at multiples of 10 (hope that makes sense)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:45 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah, augments are like the +HP, Sheild Block, etc...

Wow, do those make a difference.

also, unlike previous FF games spells like Blind, Haste, Slow etc actually seem to have an effect

I've always found Haste to be a great thing in every FF game, especially when I could auto-equip it on a weapon or accessory. I haven't been able to buy it yet, but I'll be on it when I can.

one tip is to make one character a "tank" like in MMORPG's...early on if you give someone a sheild, main gauhce (a special dagger with +25 evade) and some of the blocking augments they can be hard to hit. there's also a spell Decoy that will cause enimies to only attack the decoyp.

I'm not a MMORPG'er, but judging by that description, all of my characters except for Fran are tanks. Run up in there and get to hackin'. Vaan and Basch are the only ones with shields though, and along with Fran, they make up my primary party.

from my experience the weapons seem to overpower the damage magics, i usually only use them when fighting 4-5 enemies at a time. the buff spells i'll use alot though

I'm all about the Protect/Shell.

i never had much of an issue being underleveled, but usually anytime i got to a new area i'd fully explore it before moving on, as well as doing the hunts as they come up

I explore everything fully. I'm kinda anal about my maps not having any unexplored parts on them. Sometimes it gets me killed.

I was just running around the Sandsea areas and some skeleton-looking guy came up and started throwing Firagas around. He's flinging 3000+ damage magic and everyone I got is under 1000 HP. I'm trying to haul out of there with my last living person when that walking bird smacks me from behind and does me in. It's a bad scene, man.

Every single hunt(except the first) has killed me at least twice. I've taken down 5 I think, got like 5 more on the list. I'm thinking about putting them all on hold until I'm way overleveled/better equipped and just going back and running over them.

...and yeah, you are right about the Bazaar being a combo of items...i usually just sell whatever i get as i get it, but i did find out that if say, you need 4 of item A for a recipie, you sold 3 the first time and 8 the next time that it resets at multiples of 10 (hope that makes sense)

Not at all. It sounds like I'm losing out unless I'm selling in bulk.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:05 am

ThatDude wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah, augments are like the +HP, Sheild Block, etc...

Wow, do those make a difference.

I've always found Haste to be a great thing in every FF game, especially when I could auto-equip it on a weapon or accessory. I haven't been able to buy it yet, but I'll be on it when I can.

casting Haste, Bravery and Berserk on a character turns them into a killing machine, although when Berserked they will only attack

one tip is to make one character a "tank" like in MMORPG's...early on if you give someone a sheild, main gauhce (a special dagger with +25 evade) and some of the blocking augments they can be hard to hit. there's also a spell Decoy that will cause enimies to only attack the decoyp.

I'm not a MMORPG'er, but judging by that description, all of my characters except for Fran are tanks. Run up in there and get to hackin'. Vaan and Basch are the only ones with shields though, and along with Fran, they make up my primary party.

i'm not either but from what i read that was a reccomended strategy. it's a good idea to have at least one ranged weapon user for flying enimies. also, i belive guns ignore enemy defense and always do full damage (plus you can get silence ammo, blind ammo, etc.). you'll really notice this when bosses/marks get down to low health, their defense really goes up and melee weapons will do 1/10th the damage the normally do

I'm all about the Protect/Shell.

I explore everything fully. I'm kinda anal about my maps not having any unexplored parts on them. Sometimes it gets me killed.

I was just running around the Sandsea areas and some skeleton-looking guy came up and started throwing Firagas around. He's flinging 3000+ damage magic and everyone I got is under 1000 HP. I'm trying to haul out of there with my last living person when that walking bird smacks me from behind and does me in. It's a bad scene, man.

probably a rare monster. also watch out for those big flaming elemental balls, they will rape you at low levels and will attack if you use magic around them

Every single hunt(except the first) has killed me at least twice. I've taken down 5 I think, got like 5 more on the list. I'm thinking about putting them all on hold until I'm way overleveled/better equipped and just going back and running over them.

yeah, that's what i would do, try them once or twice and if i couldnt i'd go back later. i'd usually look up tips if i could though too...there are some nice strategies you can use on some of them.

Not at all. It sounds like I'm losing out unless I'm selling in bulk.

i just added some comments in bold since i'm to lazy to copy and paste each quote like you did :-b

one other cool item is the Nipholoba (sp?). You can get it from the clan merchant fairly early on, it reverses all items, so you can use phoenix downs as an instant kill, etc and it works 100% of the time (although some monsters are naturally immune)

i dont use it too often, but i guess if you have all the Remedy Liscenses you can inflict about every negative status affect in the game

oh...and get the Grimoires when you can too, i know they're pricey but it causes certain enimies to drop better stuff

man...after all this talking about the game i need to finish it up...i havent played in about 2 weeks :,-(
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i just added some comments in bold since i'm to lazy to copy and paste each quote like you did :-b

I didn't copy/paste anything. Just slapped some quote tags around it.

I ended up selling all my guns. They just seemed weak to me, probably because couldn't find any good ammo. Fran's bow is the only ranged weapon I've got equipped, but I think I did just get a bowgun.

one other cool item is the Nipholoba (sp?). You can get it from the clan merchant fairly early on, it reverses all items, so you can use phoenix downs as an instant kill, etc and it works 100% of the time (although some monsters are naturally immune)

i dont use it too often, but i guess if you have all the Remedy Liscenses you can inflict about every negative status affect in the game

I do like the sound of that.

I did just find a gambit thing for Foe:Undead and I'll sync that up with a phoenix down when I run across some.

oh...and get the Grimoires when you can too, i know they're pricey but it causes certain enimies to drop better stuff

Haven't heard of or seen them yet, and probably won't for a while.

Just did the part where you go through the Ozmoe plain to that little village, and after having done that, I can say with confidence that I'm woefully underleveled/underequipped. Every single common enemy in there was taking it to me, to the point I just gave up and ran like crazy through that whole area to the village, and after the story portion, rode a chocobo back to Rabanaster.

Instead of progressing with the story now, I think I'm going to go on foot from there back out to the Raithwall Tomb, clear that tomb out, and then come back to town, killing everything I can along the way. It's a long trek, but the gambits should make it alot easier than it would be on previous games, and I need to level up my characters and my licenses.

I remember racking up a 80-something kill chain on those Jawa-looking critters in that desert, and that's gotta be a good thing.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games