Manny on waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny on waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:49 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
I'm getting excited. Imagine what we could do with that 17 mill freed up? I thought there were only a few potential suckers, but it seems like there are more.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great, great hitter. But that's all. He's a virus in the clubhouse and a horrible fielder.

Manny hits so great, his defense, or lack of it , is overblown. He was 7th in league in win shares, which incorporates defense. He was only 4 shares short of leader Arod. Everywhere Mannys been, the team has won 90-100 games. I always like the tag virus. Boston fans think they can lose Manny, and score 960 runs again. Mannys one of the 5 top hitters in bb. Walker, Millar, Ortiz, Mueller, Nixon, Varitek all had career years. Losing Manny, and having quite a few of those guys revert to their past, and a great offense now is now above average.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby kentx12 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:52 am

I wish Atl. would pick him up to replace Sheffield. They will save alot of money with Maddux and Javy leaving.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby eftda » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:12 am

so far, so good (i guess), no one has taken the bait
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:19 am

eftda wrote:so far, so good (i guess), no one has taken the bait

I didn't expect anyone to jump just yet. I say around 10 or 11 o'clock Friday night. Right before the deadline.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:13 am

kentx12 wrote:I wish Atl. would pick him up to replace Sheffield. They will save alot of money with Maddux and Javy leaving.

the ATL would never let a player of that caliber on there roster. I'm not talking talent, I am talking about that turd someone gifted him with between his ears.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:25 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
I'm getting excited. Imagine what we could do with that 17 mill freed up? I thought there were only a few potential suckers, but it seems like there are more.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great, great hitter. But that's all. He's a virus in the clubhouse and a horrible fielder.

Manny hits so great, his defense, or lack of it , is overblown. He was 7th in league in win shares, which incorporates defense. He was only 4 shares short of leader Arod. Everywhere Mannys been, the team has won 90-100 games. I always like the tag virus. Boston fans think they can lose Manny, and score 960 runs again. Mannys one of the 5 top hitters in bb. Walker, Millar, Ortiz, Mueller, Nixon, Varitek all had career years. Losing Manny, and having quite a few of those guys revert to their past, and a great offense now is now above average.

I hope that the Yanks don't pick him up. Win shares or shin wares, you ain't winning anything with Manny. He is a great talent but a cancer to the lockerroom. I am not saying that the Sox will score as many runs without him. What I am saying is that they, or any team, would be better of spending their money on other players (pitchers) rather than him. The Sox, or the Yanks for that matter, could use another arm much more than his bat.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:23 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

Even Bill James notes that Win Shares don't always acurately account for a players defense. To me that is the major flaw with the stat.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Greenrider » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:33 am

Madison wrote:

I didn't expect anyone to jump just yet. I say around 10 or 11 o'clock Friday night. Right before the deadline.

The Boston Globe is reporting that the deadline is 1 P.M. today, and the team will be notified at 2 P.M. if someone has placed a claim.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:44 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

Even Bill James notes that Win Shares don't always acurately account for a players defense. To me that is the major flaw with the stat.

Agreed. Defense is not accurately measured. I mean, Manny has a decent fielding percentage, too. But how many times has he misread balls? His defense is horrid; just watch him play a full season. It's embarrasing.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:16 pm

Greenrider wrote:
Madison wrote:

The Boston Globe is reporting that the deadline is 1 P.M. today, and the team will be notified at 2 P.M. if someone has placed a claim.

Hmm.....That's odd. The articles that I've read, and one of them is posted in this thread, states that the deadline is midnight tonight. :-? Oh well, wait and see I guess.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers