Manny on waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny on waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:17 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:
Madison wrote:
Grenade Teeth wrote:since when do we have to read the whole article. you just can't skim anything any more. I should change my name to Guest. Thanks o patient one.

I guess I forgot to add a smiley. :-) Not a big deal, I was only picking on you since it was said twice already. ;-) Sorry if it bothered you. I was only kidding. B-)

I know you were kidding and I wasn't bothered. :-B Pick away, especially when I'm stupid.

Cool. :-) Now that that's resolved, who is going to shell out the money? :-?

I wouldn't put it past LA or Baltimore right now. I still think someone crazy will come completely out of nowhere and do it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:20 pm

The Angels have a new owner and the Mets are always up for a bad contract.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 450)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:44 pm

It would be FABULOUS if someone takes this contract. FABULOUS.

Odds are 100-1 against, though.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:48 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:It would be FABULOUS if someone takes this contract. FABULOUS.

Odds are 100-1 against, though.

I agree. The odds are agaist it, but if I was an owner, I'd be busting my tail trying to figure out how to do it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:00 pm

The Globe is reporting that the Yankees have NO interest.

But the Mets, Dodgers, Orioles and--get this!!!--the Devil Rays do.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:02 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:--get this!!!--the Devil Rays do.

I told you someone might come out from nowhere! :-B

It's actually not a big surprise to me, I had heard that Tampa was considering going after Sheffield, so why not Manny instead?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:06 pm

Madison wrote:

It's actually not a big surprise to me, I had heard that Tampa was considering going after Sheffield, so why not Manny instead?

I'm getting excited. Imagine what we could do with that 17 mill freed up? I thought there were only a few potential suckers, but it seems like there are more.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great, great hitter. But that's all. He's a virus in the clubhouse and a horrible fielder.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:13 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Madison wrote:

I'm getting excited. Imagine what we could do with that 17 mill freed up? I thought there were only a few potential suckers, but it seems like there are more.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great, great hitter. But that's all. He's a virus in the clubhouse and a horrible fielder.

More like 20.5 million freed up. He's got 5 years, 104 million left. :-B

Anyway, I'm sticking by my prediction that someone will pick him up.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Greenrider » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:26 pm

Ok, so suppose the Sox can extricate themselves from Manny's contract - what could they realistically do with that money this winter?

Vlad is going to have a high price tag with the Sox entering the fray - would Steinbrenner and Angelos really let the Sox walk away with him without at least bidding up the price a little? When all is said and done, I see Vlad getting at least $14-$16 mill a season - does anyone disagree with those figures? Even supposing the Sox can land him, that doesn't leave all that much left for pitching help - Colon and Millwood are almost certainly out of the question, meaning they would have to settle for an Escobar/Ponson at best, and a Lidle at worst, which leaves the team more or less exactly where it was this year, with only a mild pitching improvement. Furthermore, what happens next year? If they go right back and load up salary with Vlad, that means they will never be able to keep Pedro/Lowe/Tek/Ortiz/Nixon/Nomar, which could mean problems in '05.

Another route would be to spread the money around more - let the Dodgers, Orioles, and Yanks fight over Vlad, Tejada, Sheff, and Colon, and then make a move to get a couple of guys like Cameron, Pettitte, Castillo, and Stewart. Could be a smarter move in terms of salary flexibility, but I still can't see what good will come of it in '05.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:37 pm

This just in from ESPN.com:

The New York Yankees have no interest in placing a waiver claim on Boston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez, according to a baseball executive who has had contact with a high-ranking member of the team's front office Thursday.

Manny Ramirez
Outfielder
Boston Red Sox

2003 SEASON STATISTICS
AB BA HR RBI OBP OPS
569 .325 37 104 .427 1.014

The Red Sox placed Ramirez on irrevocable waivers this week, meaning that any team willing to take on the remaining five years and $100 million on Ramirez's contract could have him so long as they placed a claim by Friday. If two or more teams were to place claims, the team that finished lower in the standings would be awarded Ramirez.

But Ramirez's annual salary of $20 million -- which did not seem far out of line three years ago, at a time when the Rangers' Alex Rodriguez received a 10-year, $252 million deal -- is extraordinarily high, by current standards. Even for the Yankees, apparently. "There is no chance" the Yankees will put a claim on Ramirez, according to the executive.

The Yankees are aware, according to the executive, that if they claimed Ramirez, the Yankees could essentially create circumstances that would lead to the departure of pitcher Andy Pettitte, who is eligible for free agency this offseason. If the Yankees relieved Boston of Ramirez and the accompanying financial burden, the Red Sox could then turn around and make a deal with the Houston Astros -- perhaps for expensive reliever Billy Wagner -- and free up payroll for the Astros to sign Pettitte, whose preference may be to return to his home in Texas.

Pettitte is the Yankees' priority this offseason, and if Pettitte decides to sign outside of Texas, he could cost the Yankees heavily, adding to a long list of financial commitments. Shortstop Derek Jeter signed a $189 million deal before the 2001 season. First baseman Jason Giambi signed a seven-year, $120 million deal before the 2002 season. Catcher Jorge Posada, center fielder Bernie Williams, pitcher Mike Mussina are locked into long-term deals -- to say nothing of pitchers Jeff Weaver, Steve Karsay, Chris Hammond and Jose Contreras.

Adding Ramirez also would throw another designated hitter candidate onto the roster loaded with aging sluggers. There is some question about how much longer Williams and Giambi could play in the field, because of their deteriorating physical conditions.

One executive said Thursday he would be shocked if any team placed a claim for Ramirez, in an offseason when the free agents rolls will already contain Vladimir Guerrero and Gary Sheffield -- players who figure to get less than $20 million annually, if the market trend continues. Many big-market teams have cut payroll the last two years, and while the Yankees and Baltimore Orioles will probably be among the very few teams to invest heavily in big-name players this offseason, they could be interested in better financial values than Ramirez.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers