Make Your Case: A. Ramirez vs. G. Atkins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make Your Case: A. Ramirez vs. G. Atkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Make Your Case: A. Ramirez vs. G. Atkins

Postby Doughhead » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:22 pm

I hope people aren't tiring of these "Make Your Case" threads. As I compile my rankings, I keep finding pairs of players that I just keep flip-flopping on. The discussion for the first two was so good that I thought I'd get some thoughts on this pair.

Atkins seems capable of hitting for a higher average, but maybe not as much pop. He really seemed to take that big step last year and is in a great situation for any hitter when you factor in Matt Holliday and home games in Colorado.

Aramis is streaky, but when he's on, he's outstanding. He could be a .300-30-100 guy (although .280-.290 is probably more realistic) and his supporting cast just got a lot better. If he can find some consistency, he could challenge A-Rod, Wright, and MCab at the top of the class for his position.

So who's the better option for 2007?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm a fan of Atkins, I really am, but I think you have to go with the safer bet here, and to me that is Ramirez. I think they could both put up similar numbers, but I think Aramis is the safer bet to do it, and I also think he ultimately has a higer ceiling.

That said, I think he will also go a good 2-3 round before Atkins, and with that being taken into consideration I'd rather take atkins in the 5th or 6th than Aramis in the 3rd or 4th.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:32 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I'm a fan of Atkins, I really am, but I think you have to go with the safer bet here, and to me that is Ramirez. I think they could both put up similar numbers, but I think Aramis is the safer bet to do it, and I also think he ultimately has a higer ceiling.

That said, I think he will also go a good 2-3 round before Atkins, and with that being taken into consideration I'd rather take atkins in the 5th or 6th than Aramis in the 3rd or 4th.

Yep, ARAM started really slow last year too. Plus, he has more support in front and behind him in the Cubs lineup.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Postby cordscords » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 pm

My case for A-Ram over Atkins can be found here
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby zz » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 pm

I like Aram though Atkins stats at Coors mite be great. Aram is the more injury prone but I like his lineup and his park isnt bad. Also he really produces during playoff time so thats antoehr plus.

My predicitons...

Aram
.295 35 105 95

Atkins
.310 30 100 100
yes atkins has the better stats but im scared he cant live up to it
zz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:49 pm

Atkins in the first half
A-ram in the second half
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby WyldStallyn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:08 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Atkins in the first half
A-ram in the second half

july-sept there is no 3rd baseman i'd rather have. just check the stats
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... &year=2006
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:58 pm

ARam, he has a higher ceiling.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:18 pm

I would take A-Ram over Atkins on the basis of track record. Historically, A-Ram has been a slow starter and more of a warm-weather hitter. With Soriano at the top of the order and a healthy Derrek Lee in front of Aramis, he'll be a HR/RBI machine yet again (40 HR, 125 RBI potential). Atkins has solid pop (25-30 HR, 100-110 RBI), but I believe his value is more tied up with BA while A-Ram is likely to post a decent enough average to go along with his power upside.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby thursday_13 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:34 pm

First, I'd like to comment that this is a great debate. This is going to be a real drat day decision for a lot of people: Now for my two cents.

My knee jerk decision when comparing the numbers would be A-Ram. Often it is said that your first instinct is the best; but not in this case.

Five points:

1. Atkins isn't inflated by Coors: His HR, R, BA, and OBP totals were consistent enough home and away that I wouldn't read into the RBI totals too far. Which means to me that he truly is a solid guy, and a slip is not likely.

2. A-Ram is the sexy choice because of those HR totals, but his career OBP is .332. I play in an OBP league (way better than avg leagues, I highly recommend it). Atkins is a plus .400 OBP guy, which means more Run ops. Atkins is helping his team more, and that means helping his stats a lot of times. It's a good thing to bank on.

3. Atkins is younger. Splitting hairs, I know, but the truth is, when you have a tie, go with the younger guy. (Women around the world just memorized that line.)

4. A-Ram had cold starts in 03, 05 and 06. And had a hot start in 04, followed by a cold summer. Hey, the end product looks good, but you're drafting a guy you expect to hit .290 and 30 dingers, If he saves all those for 3 months out of the 6 months he plays, you're team is falling short of expectations half the time. In a H to H league, thats the playoffs. sure, you might wrek havoc the other three months, but what fun is trying to sneak into the last spot of the playoffs. I would rather make the playoffs and lose, than miss with a hot team. (I hope most would admit to that)

5. Atkins has two other young guys coming into their primes hanging around. Holliday and Hawpe. Honestly, if barmes comes around that team is going to storm their division. the D-backs are still a year behind, the giants are going to be rebuilding soon, and the dodgers are their only legit contender; and frankly, I cant get excited about that team at all. Whereas the Cubs are cursed until proven otherwise. (oh yeah, the Padres...they have pitchers...and...uh....I guess that's it)

I'd take Atkins, by the slimest of margins.
thursday_13
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers