San Diego Fire.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

San Diego Fire....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

San Diego Fire....

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:42 pm

over 1000 plus homes destroyed already. And now they just reported that they don't expect to have the fire putout till the middle of November? 8-o ...

Here comes the winds again .... :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:08 pm

Hey Wrveres, just a tip...............RUN! 8-o

Lol. :-b

Actually, I saw some of the footage on tv yesterday. It's not funny at all. I wish the best to everyone involved with that situation.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:26 pm

It came within 3/4 of a mile of my house early on... That was when the fire had recently started.

3 more fireman just died. damn... and they just found another body.. this sucks..

right now, they are in a "Battle for Julian". They have positioned everything in the city to try and save it. The fire is coming and the winds have picked up. They are worried that it will take the whole city. just wipe it off the map. :-t
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:34 pm

I agree that it's terrible. Last I heard, they set some backfires to try to contain it.

Amazing how much power fire has. Not many people realize it until something like this happens.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:38 pm

Well living in california, I have lived through many. Even been standing there with a garden hose in my hand try to 'put out the fire' as the house next door burned to the ground, Twice. :-o

Ya ever wonder what happens when ya irriagte a dessert. Welcome to California.

update. 1 fireman dead. 2 injured. Well that sucks less, right?

RUN.....lol
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:51 pm

Any deaths are tragic. :,-(

I'd be on my roof with buckets of water and as many hoses as I could get. The outside of the house and the yard would be completely soaked. I'd do whatever I had to in order to keep my house safe. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:01 pm

Madison wrote:Any deaths are tragic. :,-(

I'd be on my roof with buckets of water and as many hoses as I could get. The outside of the house and the yard would be completely soaked. I'd do whatever I had to in order to keep my house safe. ;-D

agreed. unfornutly thats why people die.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:04 pm

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote:Any deaths are tragic. :,-(

agreed. unfornutly thats why people die.

True. I just couldn't stand by and do nothing though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DK » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:44 pm

:,-(
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:47 am

One close knit little family.
Vizcaino, Ausmus dodge California wildfires
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Shortstop Jose Vizcaino and wife Jessica tried to remain calm this week as they packed their family's most prized mementos and prepared the children to evacuate their home.

It was nearly impossible, though, as wildfires crept within three miles of their residence in San Diego County.

"There is so much sadness here right now," said Vizcaino, who found it difficult to pacify 11-year-old daughter Gabriela as flames were on the horizon on three sides of their home. "All those people that were left without homes, it's terribly difficult for them with no home to take their children."

Vizcaino, who lives in the Poway, Calif., neighborhood near former Astros Phil Nevin and Bruce Bochy, has returned home. But it will take years to heal the mental scars left behind from the wildfires that have raged in California for more than a week, killing more than a dozen people and destroying more than 1,600 homes.

The San Diego-area homes of Astros free-agent catcher Brad Ausmus, Vizcaino and Nevin were spared, but Vizcaino's brother-in-law's home burned Sunday. Former National League Cy Young Award winner Randy Jones lost his home in the fire.

It was also reported that former outfielder David Justice lost a home, but that had not been confirmed.

The wildfires in California have touched many current and former players.

"It's been really horrible out here," said Ausmus, who was not evacuated even though the fires came within five miles of his home.

Nevin, a former first-round pick of the Astros, and Vizcaino voluntarily evacuated their homes Sunday. Vizcaino headed to his sister-in-law's home, only to be evacuated from there a few hours later by police.

"It's really sad for all the people who lost their homes," Vizcaino said. "The flame was like 300 feet in the air. On Sunday we just left because the fire was so close, but it didn't get to our home, so we came back on Monday."

Nevin, Vizcaino and Dodgers outfielder Jeromy Burnitz, a Conroe native, live close to one another other in Poway. Nevin's son Tyler plays with Vizcaino's 9-year-old son Jose Jr. Neither planned to leave their homes Sunday morning.

Those plans changed when Nevin told Vizcaino the fire was close to Poway High School, about three miles from their homes.

"I called Phil at 10 in the morning and asked him if he was evacuating, and he just laughed at me and said, `It's 10 miles away,' " recalled agent Barry Axelrod, who represents Nevin, Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio.

"At about 2 o'clock, he called me back and said, `We're going down to (Padres closer) Trevor Hoffman's house.' They bailed."

Although Axelrod's suburb of Encinitas was spared, he and all his neighbors were touched in some way.

"It's affected everyone directly or indirectly," he said. "It was an incredibly wild scene. Phil, Jose and Bochy live closer to the action. There were a lot of homes between us and them. But on Sunday, it was hairy.

"We've had 180 days in a row out here without rain. That's on top of a 10-year drought anyway, so conditions are horribly bad. ... Even though we were 10 miles away, anything could have happened."

With three children between the ages of seven and 11, Vizcaino didn't want to take any chances.

"My little girl was crying because she saw us pick up clothes, pictures of my children when they were young and other important photos," Vizcaino said. "There were flames to the north, to the south and west of the house, and she was crying. I would tell her not to worry. The only thing that could happen would be if the house burned down.

"I told her we could replace the house if it burned down, but she couldn't stop crying."
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk