Youtube ordered to remove clips - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Youtube ordered to remove clips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Youtube ordered to remove clips

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 pm

wsj.com wrote:Viacom Demands YouTube
Remove Videos From Site
By MATTHEW KARNITSCHNIG
February 2, 2007 11:13 a.m.

Viacom Inc., parent of MTV and Comedy Central, said it has ordered YouTube to immediately remove more than 100,000 video clips placed on the popular Web site without its approval.

The decision comes after Viacom and YouTube executives failed to reach an agreement over a distribution deal despite months of negotiations. Though its content, which includes programming from Nickelodeon and BET, counts among YouTube's most popular offerings, Viacom is paid nothing for allowing the video site to show the clips.

Viacom and a number of other media companies have struggled to balance the advantages of exposure on YouTube for their programs with a desire to protect their copyrights. Viacom had previously held off ordering the removal of its content in the hope it could reach an agreement with YouTube and its parent Google Inc.

"We can't let this keep happening," a Viacom spokesman said.

YouTube has signed licensing deals with CBS and NBC, but has been butting heads with some media outlets even as it tries to woo the large companies. Last week News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox sent a subpoena to YouTube demanding it unveil the identity of a user who uploaded pirated copies of recent episodes of "24" and "The Simpsons."

Viacom is one of several media companies (others include Fox, CBS Corp. and General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal) that has also been discussing building their own Web site to compete with YouTube. (See article)

The companies believe YouTube has built a huge business off their video content. Although many of the videos on YouTube are homemade videos uploaded by users, some of its most popular clips are pirated copies of television shows.

The video clips it requested be removed represent all of the Viacom content the company could find on YouTube. By law, companies have to make individual requests for the removal of their programming and cannot issue blanket orders. Viacom says the roughly 100,000 clips in question have accounted for about 1.2 billion video streams.

"Our hope is that YouTube and Google will support a fair and authorized distribution model that allows consumers to continue to enjoy our very popular content now and in the future," Viacom said in a statement.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:27 pm

I know Youtube should be required to pay for other peoples properties but the fact is those videos are such poor quality is it really worth suing over
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:34 pm

I see Viacom's point, but the reality is that YouTube and Google vids are great advertisements for them and their stuff.

Seriously, though - if all copyrighted content was gone from those online video sources I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I like the stuff the general public puts on there more than the canned stuff from the media markets.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:39 pm

I don't really use Youtube or anything like that too much anymore, so this isn't a problem to me.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Who cares about youtube. What I want to know is how this will affect my favorite viral video website: revver.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm

What I want to know is where were all these lawsuits before Youtube was sold?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:04 pm

By law, companies have to make individual requests for the removal of their programming and cannot issue blanket orders. Viacom says the roughly 100,000 clips in question have accounted for about 1.2 billion video streams.

Individually?!?

8-o x ^10^ x ^10^ x ^10^ x ^10^ x ^10^ x ^10^
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Who cares about youtube. What I want to know is how this will affect my favorite viral video website: revver.

:-b Yeah, we never hear enough about them. ;-7

:-b

As to the videos, if MTV actually showed videos, then I could see thier point. Can't remember the last time I actually saw a music video on MTV. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:23 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Who cares about youtube. What I want to know is how this will affect my favorite viral video website: revver.

Ask and you shall receive, good sir. ;-)

This made big news on the company e-mail this morning, as you'd think. Everyone here, well most everyone tends to look at Youtube's movements and seek a crack, but the fact is Revver is still playing catch-up with Youtube. Just because Viacom is asking for YT to take off their content from the site doesn't mean the likes of NBC and Fox will pull off YT. It leaves a dent to their service offering, but the fact is Youtube has that valuable middle ground in content, as well as the community behind it. They have the likes of Adult Swim and UFC, as well as independent brands with solid cult following. This will only slow Youtube down temporarily.

I think what made bigger news in these parts is when Chad Hurley of Youtube announced that they planned on monetizing YT videos over the past weekend....because he alluded to Revver doing this for quite some time. That's good and bad news for Revver. Bad, obviously because if YT played their cards right, they can poach the best of the best content from us and say they have the views to make substantial money. Good, because YT is becoming just as corporate as Google. Not all people including the media conglomerates see that as a good thing.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby pokeyjoe » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:59 am

I understand where MTV and Comedy Central are coming, but its not like its stopping that many people from watching their channels. I don't know the numbers for sure, but those are definitely two of the higher watched cable networks.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk