My 2007 Positional Rankings are up (TOP 150 IS UP) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My 2007 Positional Rankings are up (TOP 150 IS UP)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hobbes » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 pm

ironman wrote:
Hobbes wrote:Nice list ironman.

I know you said you weren't going to publish the standard deviation stuff, but is there any chance you will compile an overall ranking with all of the players?

I just started work on this. If I complete a compiled overall ranking though it'll probably be a one-time deal without any updates.

That would still be great! ;-D
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 am

Hobbes wrote:
ironman wrote:

I know you said you weren't going to publish the standard deviation stuff, but is there any chance you will compile an overall ranking with all of the players?

I just started work on this. If I complete a compiled overall ranking though it'll probably be a one-time deal without any updates.

Agreed - I'd definitely like to see this too... even if just once (maybe the night before my draft ;-) )

Also, out of curiosity ironman, how much tweaking do you do to the compiled averages you get from other ranking sources? Is it just moving a player here and there by one spot, or did you make any major adjustments?

Thanks again - great job!
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby ironman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
ironman wrote:

Agreed - I'd definitely like to see this too... even if just once (maybe the night before my draft ;-) )

Also, out of curiosity ironman, how much tweaking do you do to the compiled averages you get from other ranking sources? Is it just moving a player here and there by one spot, or did you make any major adjustments?

Thanks again - great job!

A lot of it has to do with throwing out oddball rankings. In the past I have dropped the highest and lowest value for each player, but I stopped that because it seemed unwarranted for some players and for others dropping the high/low still didn't properly reflect where they really should be.

Say Outfielder Joe gets the following rankings from all the sources: 27, 34, 28, 61, 32, 61, 35, 29

The two "61" rankings are from sources that do not have him in the top 60, which is the cutoff that I do for OF. The straight up average from those values is 38.375. If I drop the high/low the average goes to 36.5. However if instead drop the two 61's, the average goes to 30.8, which better reflects the general consensus of Outfielder Joe.

That's basically what the tweaking entails. It's also one reason why I stopped offering the average rank and stdev in the lists since they wouldn't be true to the original compilation.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Just letting you know I have used these for two drafts and they have worked very well.

;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby PhilliesPhan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Just letting you know I have used these for two drafts and they have worked very well.

;-D

This is why I am very interested in seeing the overall rankings. ;-D
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:03 pm

New update published.

Status of the overall ranking: Probably not going to be until late next week before anything is ready.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 pm

Just a little nitpick for you on your Catcher comment. I'd say instead of mentioning VMart that you should mention that Piazza is going to be a more or less full time DH while being eligibile at C.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Just letting you know I have used these for two drafts and they have worked very well.

;-D

I definitely have been referring to this on the drafts that I have done...great list for lazy people like me. :-D ;-D

Oh...you have Brian Giles down as playing for Arizona. I just picked him in a draft, and while it would be nicer if he played there, he's still in SD. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Oh...you have Brian Giles down as playing for Arizona. I just picked him in a draft, and while it would be nicer if he played there, he's still in SD. :-P

Thanks for spotting the error. ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrobinson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 pm

do you think that a safer pick like ray of balt should be ahead of francisco cordero?

just asking since cordero had his share of problems last year and ray seemed pretty steady all year. i havent analyzed RPs yet so i may be wrong here, but my understanding is that f. cordero is on some shaky ground.
mrobinson
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers