Prospect SP Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Prospect SP Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospect SP Help

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Well i'm thinking about trying to grab a good 1 or 2 prospect SP's in the draft that we are having in less than one month. I had a lot of prospect SP's last year but traded most of them off on my way to the title. The only one I have left is Adenhart. I have had my eye on Gallardo for awhile but these other guys will be in the draft. I have the 12th pick in the first round of the re draft. I think some will drop to be.

Gallardo
Elbert
Andrew Miller
Lincecum

How should I rank these guys. I would like to get Gallardo the most then Miller followed by Lincecum is this a good idea or should I change my ideas. Also thinking of taking a young bat maybe McCutchen, Tabata, or Martinez.

I think i'm going to go into the first few rounds of the draft trying to load up on young top end prospects to fill my minor league system. I have a lot of bats that's why i'm thinking the pitchers first since I have.. Beltran, Soriano, MCabrera, Crawford, Giambi, McCann already.

Also there is a chance one of or more than one of Garza, Maine, Chuck James might end up back in the draft because another owner has to many keepers. I'll have to wait and see what he does but should Garza become a backup plan if he falls to me and Gallardo, Lincecum, and Miller are gone. Or should I jump to the hitters then. I don't think all will be gone from past drafts normally the guys don't go after prospects early that's why I want to jump on them when I can.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KDOGG » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:11 pm

Ok from the guys you've listed this is how I would overall rank them:

McCutchen
Gallardo
Lincecum
Martinez
Tabata
Miller
Elbert
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:21 pm

Well, there's a debate whether Lincecum will start or not. The Giants plan to keep him a starter until he proves he can't handle it. The reason some people are against him is simply because he's "short". Well to be honest he wouldn't be the first short pitcher to be a star in the majors look at Oswalt, Martinez, Kazmir, Colon, Santana, Maddux, Glavine, Peavy, etc. Imagine that? The best pitcher in baseball isn't 6'5". Lincecum is listed by Baseball America as 6'0". True he may not have a prototypical pitcher's build, so what? Once again neither does Santana and he's the consensus #1 pitcher in all of baseball. Some say his delivery is wack and will cause problems. Will someone please go and tell Will Carroll this? because comments like "I LOVE his delivery. The more I see it, the more I like it, and I wonder every day if that's teachable." or "I wouldn't try to change his delivery, that's for sure. I might let him throw MORE than most at his level" will ruin his reputation in the baseball world. The fact is any true expert whether it be at Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus believes Lincecum can start. However, their will always be those people who pop up and I am sure someone will on this exact thread trying to discredit Lincecum with NO proof to back it up. He's never had any injury problems and people are worried he'll get hurt. Heck anyone can get hurt but, the fact is Lincecum who's 22 years old has NEVER as no history of injuries. Honestly, will someone step up and show me strong proof otherwise? Because, I am still waiting.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

If your with those that say Lincecum is never going to succeed as a starter in the majors then your list is right but, if your with people like me who say he's going to be a stud then your list may look more like this

Lincecum
Gallardo
Andrew Miller
Matt Garza
Scott Elbert
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KDOGG » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Lol dude you need to RELAX!! I like Lincecum alot and could really care less about his high or his arm motion. I just think Gallardo is slightly better at this point, and has more. Its not a case of me being a Lincecum hater, just a big Gallardo fan.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks guys KDOGG what do you think of Humberto Sanchez will he get a shot with the big club this year worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd round or not?
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:31 pm

KDOGG that wasn't a shot at you. I understand that Gallardo can arguably be placed ahead of Lincecum. I own both so I am not argueing with you there. My point was that people under value Lincecum and say he's not going to start. Simply put theres nothing supporting that idea. I think the guy can't go wrong with Lincecum or Gallardo. Keep in mind though that Lincecum has 2 pitches that grade close to 80 on the scouting scale 20-80. I don't know if anyone really has that kind of stuff in the minors.

As for Humberto Sanchez. No, he's being overrated by a lot of people. He is probably going to be a future #3 starter in the majors. He also has some injury concerns. I honestly believe that Sanchez would be best suited for the bullpen. I think if put in the bullpen he isn't quite at the level of Zumaya but, he'd deffinatly make a fine future closer for the Yankees. I think he'll start in the majors but, I don't know when. I don't think he's worth a 2,3 round pick though but, I guess that depends who else is available.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KDOGG » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:38 am

Philly,

I'm higher than most here on Sanchez. I think he has good stuff and I think the yanks will give him a shot before Hughes. I agree with Nathan that he would be better in the bullpen but he obviously won't be worth as much. I wouldn't draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round though. I am in a 16 team league and I drafted him in the 7th round. I think you can get him late because of the bad year he had last year
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball