Middle Round, High Reward Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Round, High Reward Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Middle Round, High Reward Pitchers?

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:41 pm

From some of the threads I've read recently, it seems like when people talk about not taking a lot of pitching early they say something like "I usually take one ace in the first 6-8 rounds then fill out my staff with high reward pitchers in the middle rounds." I have nothing wrong with that strategy, but the point of this thread is to share some of those possible guys. Guys that are below the elite, but may be undervalued or have a chance to do really well this year. So, who are some pitchers you will be targeting after round 8 or so?
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:41 pm

I forgot to add this, for a frame of reference, I think guys like Lackey, Kazmir, and Cain were among these type of guys last year.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Postby clarence worley » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:45 pm

Ian Snell and AJ Burnett are two pitchers that I've been targeting in later rounds (10+). I think both guys have very good chances to outproduce their draft position significantly this year.
Last edited by clarence worley on Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clarence worley
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 197
Joined: 5 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Trimming my facial hair like Dustin Hermanson.

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Looking at the 30+ avg rankings I have, guys like Hamels, Haren, C.Young, Burnett, E.Santana, RJ, Felix, Cain, Myers, Matzusaka are around after the 80th pick. In some leagues they will be gone sooner but that is based on what my current rankings are telling me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm

In addition, I would add guys like Hill, Paps, Olsen (personal fav), Josh Johnson, A.Sanchez, Anthony Reyes (personal fav), Beckett, DCAb, K.Escobar (personal fav), Mussina, Chuck James, Sowers, Wainwright, Billingsley (personal fav), Snell, Hirsh, Francis, Garza (personal fav) and even RJ should be around in the mid to late rounds.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby clarence worley » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm

Two more worth targeting: Bedard and Capuano.
clarence worley
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 197
Joined: 5 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Trimming my facial hair like Dustin Hermanson.

Postby Area51's » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Yoda wrote:In addition, I would add guys like Hill, Paps, Olsen (personal fav), Josh Johnson, A.Sanchez, Anthony Reyes (personal fav), Beckett, DCAb, K.Escobar (personal fav), Mussina, Chuck James, Sowers, Wainwright, Billingsley (personal fav), Snell, Hirsh, Francis, Garza (personal fav) and even RJ should be around in the mid to late rounds.


nice names on the two above posts yoda! I really like Snell, Hill, Bush, Escobar ALOT on the second post--only one I'd be nervous of is BIllingsley, and thats cuz, as a dodgers fan, I probably worry too much.

Great value here.

Can't remember if anyone named Burnett or John Patterson, but them too.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1002
Joined: 3 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: night watchmen at Pork n Beans factory

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:40 pm

I agree with Yoda and Worley on some solid mid- to late-round SP picks. I would also add Javier Vazquez to that list, as crazy as that might seem. He pitched much better than his stats indicated last year (1.29 WHIP shows the potential) and improved as the year went on (1.23 WHIP and over K/IP in the second half). If he could catch a break in 2007, he could be a 15+ game winner with sub-4 ERA and 200+ K for the price of a happy meal.

Also: Juan Cruz (if healthy and in the rotation) and Hong-Chih Kuo (ditto). These two will probably be undrafted in 95 percent of leagues but have some pretty nasty stuff (and high K rates) and could post some good numbers if given the opportunity.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I agree with Yoda and Worley on some solid mid- to late-round SP picks. I would also add Javier Vazquez to that list, as crazy as that might seem. He pitched much better than his stats indicated last year (1.29 WHIP shows the potential) and improved as the year went on (1.23 WHIP and over K/IP in the second half). If he could catch a break in 2007, he could be a 15+ game winner with sub-4 ERA and 200+ K for the price of a happy meal.

Also: Juan Cruz (if healthy and in the rotation) and Hong-Chih Kuo (ditto).


I completely agree on Vazquez. His stats were so bad in 2006 that you should be able to get a solid pitcher with some upside late in the draft.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:54 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:I agree with Yoda and Worley on some solid mid- to late-round SP picks. I would also add Javier Vazquez to that list, as crazy as that might seem. He pitched much better than his stats indicated last year (1.29 WHIP shows the potential) and improved as the year went on (1.23 WHIP and over K/IP in the second half). If he could catch a break in 2007, he could be a 15+ game winner with sub-4 ERA and 200+ K for the price of a happy meal.

Also: Juan Cruz (if healthy and in the rotation) and Hong-Chih Kuo (ditto).


I completely agree on Vazquez. His stats were so bad in 2006 that you should be able to get a solid pitcher with some upside late in the draft.


I still have doubts about Vazquez. I think he will put together a nice year but not in Chicago especially considering park, league and division.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact